Poll

What are your experiences with sending basses or guitars?

None. I have never sent a bass
0 (0%)
None. I'm too worried about the possible damage
0 (0%)
Fine. No problems whatsoever
7 (38.9%)
I do ship once in a while. And have had some damage
3 (16.7%)
I do ship once in a while. But the packaging is a PITA
7 (38.9%)
I do ship quite often. And have had some damage
0 (0%)
I do ship quite often. But the packaging is a PITA
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Sending bass guitars: ever a problem?  (Read 1790 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Sending bass guitars: ever a problem?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2013, 08:22:31 AM »
Interesting idea above - shooting foam into the box.  That could be done with trash bags fitted around the top and bottom, foam shot into bags, let them conform to the bass.  I've seen that concept done with electronics a lot, but I'm guessing the setup is beyond the means of a casual shipper.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2013, 08:32:53 AM »
I've shipped a lot over the years and have had no damage issues.  Without a case, I wrap the bass fully in bubble wrap and make sure there's a couple inches of room left in the box to fill the void up with styrofoam peanuts.  It's worked well in the US thusfar.

Forgot to mention that I never double box, but I will add some extra pieces of cardboard inside the front and back of the box if the bass is valuable (i.e. over A GRAND).
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 09:26:04 AM »
I've even gone as far as laying something like a piece of yardstick or paint mixers across a wrapped neck for some additional protection.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 11:39:18 AM »
I've shipped and received both with and without cases, and no trouble here.  I detune the instrument about 1/2 step, wrap with packing paper (always feared even the remote te possibility of bubble wrap reacting with finish), pad control/switch areas, and then bubble wrap the whole thing.  I'll use bubble wrap or peanuts to fill out the remainder of the box, and also do like Bill and reinforce the box with extra cardboard.

With HSCs, I'll wrap and pad (bubble wrap) the bass both inside and out of the case, and still reinforce the box to protect the case from damage.

I think the only time I did some double-boxing was with an Ampeg scroll - no HSC, and feared damage to the big headstock and/or neck.  That was State-side, though.  Doubt I could have pulled that off with the strict dimensional limits now in place for International/EMS shipments.  Barely squeaked in a box nearly the exact size of the HSC when I shipped a bass to S. Korea last year.