Poll

What are your experiences with sending basses or guitars?

None. I have never sent a bass
0 (0%)
None. I'm too worried about the possible damage
0 (0%)
Fine. No problems whatsoever
7 (38.9%)
I do ship once in a while. And have had some damage
3 (16.7%)
I do ship once in a while. But the packaging is a PITA
7 (38.9%)
I do ship quite often. And have had some damage
0 (0%)
I do ship quite often. But the packaging is a PITA
1 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Sending bass guitars: ever a problem?  (Read 1789 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
Sending bass guitars: ever a problem?
« on: March 21, 2013, 01:03:28 PM »
I am wondering if you guys have ever had to send a bass guitar (or guitar) without a case. And if you encountered any problems with the packaging or the shipment.
What kind of packaging did you use? Where did you get it from?
And what measures did you take to prevent damage to the instrument?

I've been busy developing a package especially for shipping guitars and/or basses.
The idea was born out of my own frustration about the protection that standard cardbox boxes offer. And frustration about the hassle with double boxing, polystyrene flakes, bubble foil etc. And -last but not least- the cost of too high volume weight.

Do you think there could be a demand for a handy package, that can easily be unfolded? A box that can hold any shape of bass guitar and package it safely so it can be sent without problems.

Looking forward to seeing your ideas!

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Sending bass guitars: ever a problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 01:15:51 PM »
I've both shipped and received guitars and basses without a case. I have had very few problems - indeed, my experience has been far worse with amplifiers, because of the weight. With both, the key is to immobilize and cushion the instrument as much as possible. Of course. this proves to be very labor intensive, even if the box is designed specifically for that particular instrument. I have ordered SX basses through Rondo Music, and have been amazed at how well these things travel with very little padding. There will always be the unforeseeable circumstance that incurs damage, and certain types of instruments will travel better than others - but it is doable.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »
I don't double-box because doing that makes the box massive and shipping prohibitive.  I like a layer or styrofoam wrap, then add bubble wrap, put chunks of solid styrofoam top and bottom to protect headstock and base of instrument, then lots of styro peanuts. 

So far, no damage.  I pack better than some of the basses I have received new from commercial vendors.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:20:47 PM »
The cheapest layer of isolation padding is scrunched up newspaper or butcher's paper - when used properly it is more effective than bubble wrap and less of a PITA than those foam peanuts.  You need to secure the bass inside the box so that the padding provides a shock layer around the instrument - especially at both ends of the instrument.  For something more fragile, like a Gibson, I'd pay extra special attention to that side of things.

For a bolt on neck instrument, the safest way to ship is to unbolt the neck - it will ship in a much smaller package, and it's a lot harder to damage a neck or body on their own that it is an assembled instrument - there is far less leverage if there's a big hit to the carton.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 03:45:07 PM »
Thanx for your input so far guys. Keep 'm coming.

The package that I'm working on does not need any padding with newspapers, polystyren block or peanuts. And I started the whole affair because of troubles that I had with shipping BaCHbirds. The brittle mahogany neck with the headstock angle makes it extremely vulnerable.
The Fender stuff isn't as vulnerable.
But I think those delicate Les Paul, EBs, SGs Firebirds, Thunderbirds etc out here could use some decent protection

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 04:45:48 PM »
I have shipped many...but NEVER ship guitars/basses without a hard case of some sort. I will buy a cheap hardshell case if I need one and include it in the price when I list the item for sale.

The only problem with that is sometimes a bass  with a case will become too long to meet the max size USPS limit to ship out of U.S. for the cheap rate.

I sold a TBird to someone in Germany several years back and it had no case and adding a case would have put the size over that USPS limit. The sale woul not have gone thru if the cheaper shipping rat could not be met. So, I actually built a shipping case out of wood and old couch foam...a pseudo roadcase...but shapd it so it JUST made it under the max USPS size by 1/2 inch.

If you ship without a hard case and happen to have a damage problem, it is a LOT harder to justify an insurance claim.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 05:13:31 PM »
I've never sent one without any case, but I have sent a couple in gig bags with no problem, wrapped in bubble wrap inside the gig bag and with wadded-up newspapers in the box.

FWIW, the new Gibson Melody Maker I bought from Music123 four years ago came without a case or a gig bag. It was in a Gibson presentation box inside the usual Gibson shipping box. I don't recall any padding inside the presentation box, it was held in position by cardboard supports that were designed to keep it from shifting. If you have a chance to visit a store that has one in stock, you might want to ask to take a look at it.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 05:23:34 PM »
I've sent a few, and what I do to keep the headstock protected is to wrap the neck thoroughly, and then shoot a little Great Stuff foam into the corners of the box before closing it up.
Carlo received the BaCH Bird from me that way, so he can tell you what the condition was when it arrived.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 04:39:35 AM »
I receive and ship around 15 basses a year for the magazine. Maybe 20? All of course from and to distributors/factories. Basses without cases are mostly packed in plastic, then styrofoam and two to three cardboard boxes. I never had a problem with it.

I had a problem once. The Squier Musicmaster I bought was packed in a cheap Fender case (looks like cardboard covered with black vinyl). When I got it the strings were on the frets. The neck had received a serious kick or something. After tweaking the truss rod everything was okay.

As a solution I would go for a thick cardboard box. Maybe Multi-layered. And enough support for the neck. Some folding thing which supports the neck or goes round the neck.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 04:59:30 AM »
Thanx again guys

The idea that I've been working on:
You buy a package that you can easily take under your arm. And you don't need anything else. No extra double boxing, no old newspapers, no butcher paper, no polystyrene, no peanuts, no towels. And no tape.
The instrument will be secured rock solid inside the package. No matter what shape, whether it is a Les Paul, SG, Strat or Tele. Or to keep it in bass terms: Triumph, EB3, Precision or Jazz.
My goal is to keep the price (way) under 20 USD.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 05:00:08 AM »
I've kept a couple cardboard bass cartons around for shipping purposes. The times I've shipped a bass in a carton without a hardshell case I wrapped the whole bass in bubble wrap with the headstock wrapped in a bundle all it's own. Even those in a hardshell case get a wrapped headstock to keep it from moving around. Anyone who's received a bass from me commented how well it was packed. :)
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 06:27:52 AM »
Thanx again guys

The idea that I've been working on:
You buy a package that you can easily take under your arm. And you don't need anything else. No extra double boxing, no old newspapers, no butcher paper, no polystyrene, no peanuts, no towels. And no tape.
The instrument will be secured rock solid inside the package. No matter what shape, whether it is a Les Paul, SG, Strat or Tele. Or to keep it in bass terms: Triumph, EB3, Precision or Jazz.
My goal is to keep the price (way) under 20 USD.

Interesting concept.  I spent a good portion of my professional life designing cost efficient, smallest volume possible packaging for 500,000+ items total weighing from 10 to 75 lbs. 

Suitability is determined by testing at a certified lab.  A package gets dropped on EACH of its six corners from a specified height...there are no up or down sides when designing a shipping solution.  A vibration test is performed which compresses styrofoam peanuts, wadded newspaper or similar after a few cycles.

With a certified package shipping damage claims get paid, usually with no questions asked.

I don't think there's a 'one size fits all' solution.  If you design something like that you risk being sued when your customer has a problem and UPS or whoever won't pay for damage.

I've sent a few, and what I do to keep the headstock protected is to wrap the neck thoroughly, and then shoot a little Great Stuff foam into the corners of the box before closing it up.
Carlo received the BaCH Bird from me that way, so he can tell you what the condition was when it arrived.

Gary did a great job with a very flimsy Bach carton.  I also had no problems with either bass Denis sent me.  IMO foam like Great Stuff might be the easiest and most cost effective solution for someone regularly shipping multiple sized instruments.

All my basses are insured for full value but I NEVER expect to be paid for damage, only loss.  It's my responsibility to get the bass to the customer intact.  I've shipped over 50 basses in the last few years and had minor dings in one...and it was in a molded case inside a padded carton.  I'll live with a 2% failure rate.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 07:34:58 AM »
sx used to ship basses for about 17.50 in us dollars. in the usa of course. that's pretty darn cheap.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 07:50:17 AM »
sx used to ship basses for about 17.50 in us dollars. in the usa of course. that's pretty darn cheap.

They actually charge what it costs them.  Their Chinese manufacturer provides a suitable shipping box, just strong enough to get the contents to its destination safely.  I've bought 20+ basses from them with no shipping damage.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 08:03:35 AM »
Interesting concept.  I spent a good portion of my professional life designing cost efficient, smallest volume possible packaging for 500,000+ items total weighing from 10 to 75 lbs. 

Suitability is determined by testing at a certified lab.  A package gets dropped on EACH of its six corners from a specified height...there are no up or down sides when designing a shipping solution.  A vibration test is performed which compresses styrofoam peanuts, wadded newspaper or similar after a few cycles.

With a certified package shipping damage claims get paid, usually with no questions asked.

I don't think there's a 'one size fits all' solution.  If you design something like that you risk being sued when your customer has a problem and UPS or whoever won't pay for damage.

Thanx Carlo. Excellent input.
Yeah in Europe we have the ISTA certificate.  The package gets tested in the way you describe it.
I had a meeting a packaging consultant from UPS at the European Fender Distribution center. He told me about the issues of insuring shipments etc.
The packaging manufacturer that I am cooperating with, will get the package certified.

The design we are working on is not 100% one-size-fits-all. There will be a box for basses, a box for guitars, a box for (semi)-acoustic guitars. And maybe even for other stringed instruments.

Gary did a great job with a very flimsy Bach carton.  I also had no problems with either bass Denis sent me.  IMO foam like Great Stuff might be the easiest and most cost effective solution for someone regularly shipping multiple sized instruments.

All my basses are insured for full value but I NEVER expect to be paid for damage, only loss.  It's my responsibility to get the bass to the customer intact.  I've shipped over 50 basses in the last few years and had minor dings in one...and it was in a molded case inside a padded carton.  I'll live with a 2% failure rate.

I ship BaCH instruments. And like you said the flimsy cardboard boxes do not offer the protection you need when you ship overseas. At airports and distribution centers the parcels get thrown all over the place. So I have to use extra material. Double boxing, stuffing the boxes with bubble warp etc simply cost me way too much time. I spend over half an hour on each parcel. I don't have that time.
That's why I came up with a new idea.