Author Topic: Best New Band  (Read 2461 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Best New Band
« on: January 29, 2010, 03:48:03 PM »
They're a bunch of old guys but they may win a Grammy for Best New Group! haha
They're a Supergroup who some folks say ain't all that.
I just got their album cuz a lot of people have been saying it's the best album of 2009, which I agree with.
Of course, the only other album I bought was Winger's KARMA.
Dig this Chickenfoot vid! Not sure if it's official or just made by fans, but it's cool as hell.
It's the vid with the Peace Sign in a square. (Chickenfoot, get it?)

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Chickenfoot&search_type=&aq=f

Put this in the Bass section cuz it's Michael F. Anthony on bass!
Born To Be Bad heh
His backup vocals are legendary & sounds better than ever on this album!

Sammy Hagar on lead vocals, Joe Satriani handles all the guitar chores & really changed his style to fit into this band context by crunching it up with lots of Power Chords & very little of the wheedling he is known for...Brilliant wheedling tho it may be, I'm LOVIN' this HEAVY DUTY JOE!
Chad Smith from the Chili Peppers completes the band. He's a Rock solid drummer & must be havin' a BLAST with these guys!
They all seem to be havin' as much FUN as a young gang of schoolboys!!!!
Dig their other vids too--here's one:

Get it if you ain't got it!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 03:54:49 PM by Rhythm N. Bliss »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Best New Band
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 05:47:01 PM »
I didn't expect to like it, but I did. Nice song and video.

No reason old guys can't have fun.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 07:52:21 PM »
Reminds me of Montrose !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 12:09:23 PM »
Tryin' to remember who the singer was...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
I didn't expect to like it, but I did. Nice song and video.

No reason old guys can't have fun.

All Right! KILLER RIFF, ain't it?

Satriani SHINES playing RIFFS & POWER CHORDS!!

They're havin' FUN & kickin' ASS!!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 04:32:01 PM »

I've always liked Sammy H (except when he was in Van Halen) and Michael Anthony, good to see them doing this and having fun as opposed to the pitful debacle that VH is/was.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 03:52:33 PM »
Yessireee!! Got the CD as soon as it hit the store and been rockin' out to it on a regular basis!
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 10:06:14 AM »
I've had that album for ages and been singing its praises here, but nobody gave a damn!  :-\

It is 21st century Montrose, but in a good way. American heavy rock doesn't really get better than this. And for a bunch of old dogs the playing on the whole album is very enthusiastic (and belies claims that Anthony is not a good and sometimes even inventive bassist). Of course, they picked a horrible time/era for the release and their drummer has a well-paid day job he will eventually have to return to. 

I saw VH with Hagar in 1988 and was neither a VH nor a Hagar fan at the time, but the concert was great. Roth has his charm on a good day and can use his voice to some effect in the studio, but Hagar can really sing circles around him without sounding affected.

Satch I saw last when he stepped in to save Deep Purple after Herr Blackmore had gone AWOL once more. They offered him a job to stay after the tour, but he had contractual obligations. While I preferred Morse with DP later on, I find Satriani's playing on the Chickenfoot debut band- and songserving as well as uncontrived, yet with always enough awe-inspring flash (and a few musical jokes) shining through. In contrast, his instrumental solo stuff bores me to tears.

And that drummer never plays as entertainingly powerful in his day job band whose name escapes me now.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 07:37:16 PM »
I've had that album for ages and been singing its praises here, but nobody gave a damn!  :-\

...and belies claims that Anthony is not a good and sometimes even inventive bassist

As one of his biggest detractors I shall reserve judgement until after I have heard the full album. Youtube does show a certain Montrose-esque-ness (love doing that ;D ,   sorry :P)  I'm still having treatment to get over how bad his VH solo's were.
Digresion our specialty!

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
I picked up the album when it first came out after reading a review in Guitar Player. The last time I remember doing this was after reading a similar review about the first Gov't Mule album. The reviews & what the groups influences were, were quite similar. I bought it thinking it would be another Gov't Mule, it isnt in my opinion. But it is a good album on it's own merit. The first Sammy Haggar album I've purchased  since the LP that had "I can't drive 55".  :)
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!