Author Topic: Types of Bassists  (Read 4604 times)

ack1961

• View Profile
Re: Types of Bassists
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 07:29:16 AM »
Well, since I've been so welcomed on LBO, I'll chime in:

I'm a beginner.  Picked it up about 3 years ago, and practice a few days a week for about an hour or so.  It's all I have time for, unfortunately.  On the plus side, it (the act of playing bass) as far exceeded my expectations and is one of the joys I have in my life.  I don't read music, but I'm tenacious about trying to learn to play by ear.  I took a half dozen lessons or so.

I really don't have any dreams of the next level, but I would love to, at least once, play bass along with some guys just having some fun and playing music together.

Ack
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 01:13:42 PM »
I have no clue as to where I fit in...

I've been playing for over 20 years.  Been in more bands than you've had hot dinners (not really) and never made much money out of any of them.  I'm down to 1 band now and we put 100% of the money made into the band.  None of us takes a dime and never have.  I still play 98% original music and hate playing covers with a passion.  I would never join a cover band even if I was offered a truckload of money to do so.

I play with a pick and hate using fingers except with my upright.  Never had a lesson, can't read music, and play totally by ear.  I don't play jazz and doubt I could.  I enjoy every aspect of my playing and have no real desire to sound like anyone in particular...

??? ??? ???

Rocker949

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2009, 03:45:52 PM »
I've been trying to play along with Jack Bruce for the past few days.  My conclusion is that I feel I have no choice but to downgrade myself to a "technically challenged" player.  I had to put on a demo that some friends and I recorded last summer to remind myself that I'm even a bass player at all.   In all honesty, although I've been playing for quite a long time, I'm not sure if I've ever been so discouraged.  I wish I were joking or exaggerating, but unfortunately I'm not. 

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2009, 04:24:36 PM »
Is a Pro someone who has studied to an accredited point of playing and understanding their instrument, done an accepted "internship" in the industry and then makes their livelihood by playing their instrument?

or

Is a Pro someone who can play Jazz thereby giving them the apparent credibility that they can play all other "Lesser" forms of music regardless of weather or not they can earn a living from it.

Or Like Macca, John McVie or Bill Wyman, is being a self taught player with years of experience and still earning more than a living from playing being a pro?

Edit: Is being a Pro determined by a certain level of recognition from A: peers and/or B: Audience?

I'm confused.  ???

Semantics and labels. Who needs them really?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:01:01 PM by Freuds_Cat »
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »
Don't overthink it. A pro plays for money.

And don't get me going on jazz players who think other music is "lesser."

Rocker949

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2009, 07:55:11 PM »

And don't get me going on jazz players who think other music is "lesser."

To me a pro is someone who is just so good it very obvious.  He doesn't really have to prove anything to anyone.  He may or may not make a living full-time from playing music.  I have several friends I would place in this category, although I certainly wouldn't place myself there.  I have a friend, for example, who has a reputation for being one of the best guitarists in this area.  Anyone who knows anything about music in this area knows that; it's indisputable.  I don't know how much money he makes from playing music, but I'm pretty sure he isn't rich.  I have another friend who is keyboardist in a country band.  They have a good regional reputation.  But that isn't what they do for a full-time living.  In his case, for example, he also teaches music part-time at a community college and has done other things, etc.  In his case, he can pretty much play any instrument, too.  This certainly includes bass.  I've even taken lessons from him.  I have a drummer friend down the street who is so good on drums that he was playing in a band that toured with Little Richard while he was still a teenager.  He is in his 50s now.  I don't know how he would classify himself.  He may have made a living from music for a few years, but that was long ago.  It's true he is rusty on drums now.  But with a few months practice he would be just as good as ever.  Still, as far as I'm concerned he is a pro.  Maybe my definition of a pro is too lenient, but I just feel that credit should be give where credit is due.  I think circumstances have a lot to do with these things anyway.  It's a well-known fact that musicians don't get paid what they deserve.  There are plenty of great musicians out there who can't make a living from music, but this doesn't necessarily mean they aren't pros. 

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2009, 08:14:51 PM »
I'm thinking here that a pro (or professional) in other fields like that of Medicine, Accountants, Lawyers generally  require a certain amount of study and accreditation before the endowment of such a title.

Gotta Love Wiki  :sad:

Professions are distinguished from other occupations represented by trade groups due to their level of legal recognition.
Examples of professions

Professions include, for example: Physicians, Dentists, Pharmacists, Lawyers, Accountants, Veterinarians, Engineers, Teachers, Diplomats, Commissioned Officers, Professors, Librarians, Archivists, Clergy, Urban Planners, Architects, Physical Therapists, Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Chiropractors, and Social Workers.

Sorry guys, looks like we miss out again.  Damn those Librarians and Nurses. No one mention the clergy!

Digresion our specialty!

nofi

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2009, 08:21:25 PM »
constantly comparing yourself to others is a waste of time and will drive you nuts. i know it's sometimes hard to do but be your own player and concentrate on that.  and don't let the bastards get you down. ;)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2009, 08:25:44 PM »
I teach that exact message to my students NoFi. I just figure that I see so many different versions of what constitutes a pro bassist that it would be a fun exchange of ideas. :)
Digresion our specialty!

angrymatt

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2009, 07:23:47 AM »

Sweet!  That makes me even better.  I'm now a retired professional, as I no longer get paid to play.
angrymatt, the lurk
'13 NR Thunder "Blue" Bird | '09 BaCHBird | '07 Zebrabird | '06 Tobias Growler | '03 Spector Rebop 5 | '87 Heritage