Author Topic: Slade Redux  (Read 6120 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Slade Redux
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 12:38:34 PM »
Some Texan, I believe. He already saw Brit rule reinstated in the US of A.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 04:09:20 PM »
Scott - I'll do some digging, but it is a big box...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

tom grossheider

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 04:33:42 PM »
Slade, Noddy Holder with the best voice in rock and roll. Wow what weird memories of the early '70s in Chicago. Saw Foghat at the Auditorium theater, Mott the Hoople somewhere too....... Even saw Uriah Heep, good show too. I get my fix from youtube when I need it......

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 04:53:29 PM »
Tom... I deeply regret never seeing Foghat, but virtually unknown over here... Kept missing Uriah Heep and Mott, but did see Ian Hunter when he tour  ed with Mick Ronson (with Ronson even covering "Slaughter on 10th Ave...") - there is a live album from that tour knocking about...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 05:39:35 PM »
Great list of bands there Tom. I got to see Uriah Heep in the mid 80's here but I'm not even sure that Foghat ever toured Oz. I got to see a few of the other bands while living in London like UFO, Nazareth, Mick Ronson at the Freddy Mercury Wake concert at Wembley. I would like to have seen the Bowies Spiders. At least Trevor Bolder was in Uriah Heep when I saw them. Never got to see Gary Thain unfortunately either.
Digresion our specialty!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2009, 04:57:48 AM »
Tom... I deeply regret never seeing Foghat, but virtually unknown over here... Kept missing Uriah Heep and Mott, but did see Ian Hunter when he tour  ed with Mick Ronson (with Ronson even covering "Slaughter on 10th Ave...") - there is a live album from that tour knocking about...

Standing in the Light is the live Hunter/Ronson album.   I was planning to get tickets for their show in Chicago, but it was cancelled early.  The album has some high points, such as "FBI", the opener (an old Vagabonds song) and a very cool version of "Day Tripper", but the shows demonstrate Hunter's dependence on Ronson way too much.  Overall, it's a decent album.

I got to see a later version of Foghat in the '80s.  I think Kenny Aaronson was on bass then.  They opened for Triumph.  I did get to see Mott The Hoople with Ariel Bender.  Great show!  My wife and I were talking about going to London for the reunion show this fall, but money is tight these days for those sorts of indulgences.  We'll probably take a pass on it.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2009, 05:20:24 AM »
Wish I'd Seen... :sad:
Bad Co 1974-75
Grand Funk same deal
Deep Purple MkII
Chicago with Terry Kath and Peter Cetera
UFO with Schenker
Uriah Heep with Thain and Byron
Pat Travers' "classic" lineup with Thrall Aldrige and Cowling
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2009, 06:33:08 AM »
Digresion our specialty!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 11:03:30 AM »
I actually never liked Slade to begin with, but they grew on me, like wart, at the old board. Probably due to the Slade posts getting twarted- hade to be something there, with so much angst against them.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 11:25:38 AM »

It's funny............I guess I'm getting old :sad:

I saw Bad Co. when they toured in support of their first album but I can't for the life of me recall who they were sharing the bill with............All that alcohol is finally catchin' up with me  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2009, 04:12:02 PM »
That's defeatist talk Mr Hills...! Buck up there...! non of that mopping around...! I demand that you go out and have a DAMN GOOD TIME...!  ;)

Thanks for that Gary, Not heard the CD, may take a punt on it if I find an ebay cheapie... didn't know about Mott in London this year... Mott was another band I missed... as was Uriah Heep...

Lowend...
Saw Bad Co at Earls Court in '74... :)
Missed GFR at Wembley in '74... I didn't know they existed until '75 when I discovered WAAB and never looked back... :sad:
ditto DP2 the first time round...
ditto Chicago (still have the vinyl boxed set live set with the most ridiculously huge poster...) what was Kath's last words...? "Don't worry, it's not loaded"... bummer...
UFO with Schenker in '78 (?) at the Hammy Odeon...  :)
dittto UH
Travers - lucky enough to have seen that line-up twice, both at the Hammersmith Odeon, once supporting Journey, so that must have been '79...? still have a tour shirt somewhere... "Crash and Burn" tour...? Cowling was a stunning bass player... and being a Black Oak fan (there are such people! another band I missed, being in Scotland when they played a couple of shows with Nugent, and back in London when they played in Scotland - had something similar happen with the Skunk Baxter first tour with the Doobies, another miss...) seeing Aldridge was rather cool... I liked Go and Automatic Man, so seeing Thrall was a definite bonus... ;D

Tommy Aldridge played with Gary Moore in the 80's, and played the Marquee club, that was a good night... I think Don Airey was in the line up too... saw GM a few times there... another time featured Ian Paice on drums, a third had Mark Nauseef... never saw Thin Lizzy...

I have somehow missed a stack of British acts, too... missed Nazereth too. Bret...  :sad:

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2009, 05:08:59 PM »
I did the flipflop with Rory Gallagher. I was in London when he toured Oz in early 90's and in Australia when he played in the UK. I do know Gwyn Ashton who (so he tells me) did an album with Gallaghers band after his untimely departure from this void. I haven't heard it though.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2009, 05:19:29 PM »
Saw him... Hammersmith Odeon, yet again... heard it said he died cuddling his strat...  :sad:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 04:31:22 AM »
 "I liked Go and Automatic Man, so seeing Thrall was a definite bonus..."

Where may I kiss you first, Ken? :-* :-* :-* Someone who likes Automatic Man!!!!!!!!! I thought I was the only one who even knew them. Have both CDs they re-released a few years ago. But I admit that the iconic sleeve caught my interest in the seventies first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcK723tkhsI&feature=PlayList&p=1EA380D7D6ECE8AD&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcr4_Tr0uZA&feature=related

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 04:33:17 AM »
I had both automatic Man LP's!

I forgot all about them.

Another forgotten artist - Pete Carr