Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

1967 Guild Starfire restore

<< < (2/7) > >>

shadowcastaz:
1 1/2 bottle of non caustic stripper. I forget the brand. I got so sick and tired of scraping and wiping on old towels i had to hang it up for a couple months. Whoever worked on this sanded too close to the edge  and through the mahog  veneer. The binding was secured with brads!!! and paint filled the edges up to the binding. I estimate 12 -16 oz of paint was painfully removed.

Barklessdog:
I was under the assumption you can't dye mahogany green or blue because it is orange, so you would end up with mud?

You would be tying to dye over a contrasting color, which in paint, turns to muddy brownish grayish, not attractive colors.

Do a test piece first.

Also since mahogany is an open grain wood wouldn't you have to remove/sand quite a bit of wood to remove the old finish?

Anyone have a pic of Stained blue or green mahogany??

shadowcastaz:

progress....more later in week.M

I believe this is mahog

and this

Barklessdog:
Anything can be done-

The second one in the catalogue looks like it could be?

It looks a very military orange green, which is cool looking.

I guess the thing to do is experiment first.

From Reranch-

--- Quote ---Because of the darkness of the wood the use of dyes on mahogany and swietenia (to a lesser degree) is limited. "Woody" colors such as mahogany and walnut work well on both species but colors like yellow and blue may not. Red will give a wine color (like an SG) to true mahogany but may give a redder color on the lighter swietenia. Test first before committing to a color.

When dying both types of mahogany some success with obtaining a true color can be had if the wood is bleached first. If you must have a blue mahogany guitar try an A/B bleach Like the Parks Corp. wood bleach. Home Depot has it for less than $10.
--- End quote ---

If Uwe's luthier did an orange & blue burst without turning muddy, anything can be done

shadowcastaz:
I did the A/B bleach once. Nasty stuff. I have not sanded ,obviously so Im still hopeful. I love the natural gold tone of clear finish Mahog.Id love to find some flamey mahog.
Now I have to tile a back splash......any ideas why......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version