Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

1967 Guild Starfire restore

<< < (6/7) > >>

drbassman:
Yes he will!  This is the toughest type of woodworking in my estimation.  Repairing sand throughs like this is a real challenge.  If it were me, I would have been tempted to take the easy way out and fill as best as possible and paint it a solid color.  I give Mike a lot of credit for tackling this one.

shadowcastaz:
Back,not done fixin,

top with stain and  grain filler. gonna sand tonight I hope

Im gonna have to decide on opaque green or a natural reddish  finish ,that red residue is  a PIA!

Barklessdog:
Wow, that's looking really good!

You are a brave soul on this one.

drbassman:
Looking good!  I'm stripping my Guild now and tried chemicals on a section and the black residue bled into the maple a little, so I'm doing the rest with sand paper.  Chemicals are great, but they can create more problems than they solve!

bostonguitarrepair:

--- Quote from: shadowcastaz on May 01, 2008, 08:32:00 AM ---Back,not done fixin,

top with stain and  grain filler. gonna sand tonight I hope

Im gonna have to decide on opaque green or a natural reddish  finish ,that red residue is  a PIA!

--- End quote ---

You need to get all that grain filler off the SURFACE of the wood - its a lot of hand sanding - I used a small rubber teardrop cross section sanding form I got at Rockler and it worked well.  I think it will look very good once you're done sanding off the excess filler. This looks almost exactly like what I went through with the Starfire I redid natural - see the archives or my website for pics of that process.

You will not get the red out of the end grain on the neck nor the sides - been there and tried that - as popeye would say "Imposski-bill!!!".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version