Gear Discussion Forums > Bill's Shop: Projects, Mods & Repairs

1967 Guild Starfire restore

<< < (3/7) > >>

Barklessdog:
They have figured mahogany tops here-

http://www.gilmerwood.com/instrument_wood-lam-sets.htm

shadowcastaz:
I love that site. Veneering a compound curve is real difficult. I have a PRS from late 80's that was red and some genius stripped it . A buddy sent it too me and its driven me nuts for years finding parts. I now have the parts and went to veneer it and my wood guru said even w/ vacume press, it wont  work without splitting the veneer. if I get good at patching I may make the PRS a 10 top yet!

If my project were flat Id do it in a minute. .Thanx

eb2:
We have a local bunch - they were Woodworkers Warehouse originally and I forget the new name - but the basement is where they keep the "good" wood: planks of exotic stuff, smells wonderful, and they have loads of veneers, like tiger maple, mahogany, etc.  Wide enough to do a guitar body.  It is great because you can go through the pile and find the best sheet without having one mailed from someplace.  One of these days I will find a top project again (I passed on a really f'd over 59 LP jr that haunts me) and go there.  You can veneer a curved top but it is hard, which is why lots of ES and EB2 bodies have the cracks along the belly.  That is why they used the Sparkling Burgundy finish - to hide their screw ups.  It is not easy to do those.  It can be done though.

My recollection of those Guilds in that green is that it is opaque and not a stain. 

shadowcastaz:
2/3 done.Whata mess.

drbassman:
Man, I admire your tenacity.  I thought the paint and brads on that thing made it a pretty much worthless piece, but you are really making progress on it.  Patience is a virtue!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version