Author Topic: Quite breaking news - Gibson Bass Line Up 2016  (Read 31165 times)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: Quite breaking news - Gibson Bass Line Up 2016
« Reply #105 on: August 28, 2015, 02:05:13 PM »
Quit insulting people just because their taste in music doesn't line up with yours.   You seem to have a habit of doing this, too.

LOL dude. I'm not particularly in to her music either so your argument here is hilarious. The curmudgeon comment was intended as a friendly jab and really, it would hold up to a libel suit (you are old - I am and you're older than me, and you were bitching about music the kids listen to these days, which is an archetype of curmudgeon-ness).  It was meant, among other things, to point out how funny it is to have you  complain about how some artist is "horrible" because it's not the genre you like (e.g. no guitars, though I realise you didn't say that part, but you did implicitly second it).  To have you turn around and say that to me is irony befitting a hipsters stained T Shirt (which itselfr is irony-ception considerring your shaking your fist at the teenagers).  I also found the "nonthinking man's darling" comment incredible for reasons that should now be rather apparent (again, not your comment, but I did not direct mine at you specifically did I?).  You could have just said you're not into it or whatever, but instead you had to devalue it entirely, just because you are willfully blind to the value in it (it is possible to appreciate the value of something without actually liking it); the irony being that your devaluing post was the thing with no value.  Glass houses.

You have some very strong opinions yourself, as expressed vehemently all week.  In light of that, I am somewhat surprised that my comment affected you so.  I have never intentionally insulted someone  over musical tastes (yeah, plenty of old man jokes, but as mentioned those are friendly jabs; I get jabs for being the (comparatively) youngin/Canadain/Polish without crying about it), and now that I know being reminded of your age is so traumatizing for you I will endeavor to refrain from that sort of carry on.

I haven't heard much from Lorde, but what I've heard so far is of little interest to me.  However, if disliking Modest Mouse (a band Granny Gremlin has defended on this forum) makes someone a curmudgeon, then so be it.  Their music is some of the worst music I've ever heard.  Their "lead singer's" singing defies description. 

You're not a curmudgeon because you don't like this or that band.  The issue is how harshly you critisise new music, and not even the banal pop, but the stuff thathas some artistic value, is thought-provoking just because you can't get past the aesthetics of it... and how long you hold a grudge over such trivial things; holy moley.

Your level of vitrol shoould be reserved for true douchebags such as these guys:

As a summary, the song is basically the story of a dude pressuring his girl to blow him (under the guise of being cool with her not going all the way, as well as reciprocity of the favour), and their target market/fan base was pre-teens. It was in heavy rotation on our local "Youth Television" channel's weekly video hits show. Now THAT'S "horrible."
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:21:17 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2015, 02:18:16 PM »
^^^
I think you are projecting a lot of stuff toward me which really has nothing to do with me at all.  I have no idea what you're talking about when you say I've been vehemently expressing opinions all week?  Would you give some specific examples?  It just seems to me you have some resentment built up which you are throwing at me for really no reason.  You are seriously overreacting.  I have spent much of my life being around a close relative who loves hip-hop while I love rock.  We don't insult each other, though, because of that.  When I say I don't like an artist, that isn't the same thing as saying I want to insult all the people who like that artist.  That is just not the way my mind works.  But you don't know how my mind works since you have misinterpreted much of what I've said on this forum.  From my perspective, you just seem to be someone who has a chip on your shoulder. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2015, 02:25:48 PM »
Lets not expand this argument any further/reopen old ones.  Your words regarding Modest Mouse and Lorde are ample examples of excessive and undue hate and negativity; vitriol and vehemence. You won't dismiss my point that easily
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2015, 02:27:55 PM »
Come on guys, this is not a schoolyard, no picking fights over your music tastes. Everyone - even Jake, that elderly and wordy punk - is entitled to like (or dislike) everything here and also to have the piss taken on him for it. I was forever ridiculed for my music tastes in high school (too blue collar, too much glam rock, too little prog-friendly), it made me a stronger and better man!  :mrgreen:

Curmudgeon is one of the cutest words in the English language, sounds like a muppet character.  Jokes about age - and youth or Canadian heritage - are allowed as well.

Those kids are cute, aren't they? The bass is bigger than the player.  ;D Wonder how they sound today?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 28, 2015, 02:36:18 PM »
At least we stopped arguing about politics. By the non thinking man comment I meant it's still kind of mindless pop music that appeals to those who enjoy numbing themselves and maintaining a gloomy disposition although I concede some of the lyrical content has a bit more merit than some of the more shallow and or hedonistic pop out there. Not sure if that was the impression I was getting across to you Granny G.
Michael, there's nothing wrong with outgrowing a younger generation's musical tastes. It's perfectly natural and to be expected. The nice thing is plenty of kids who like today's music can also appreciate the Beatles or even older classics like Bach or Mozart. Fads will come and go but timeless art will always remain and be appreciated.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 28, 2015, 03:34:36 PM »
Lets not expand this argument any further/reopen old ones.  Your words regarding Modest Mouse and Lorde are ample examples of excessive and undue hate and negativity; vitriol and vehemence. You won't dismiss my point that easily

I don't even have any hate, negativity, vitriol or vehemence toward hip-hop--a genre I like even less than Lorde's and Modest Mouse's genres.  Of course, Lorde doesn't really fit into a genre, being someone who seems to be unique.

You are putting WAY more into this than is there.  It's like alarms are going off with you but there is no fire.  It's just a false alarm.  I simply see no reason at all why anyone would put hatred and music together, even if we're talking about music that someone doesn't like.  So please make whatever assumptions you want to make about someone else.  You don't know what's going on in my brain.  You're just guessing and so far you're guessing wrong. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 28, 2015, 03:54:16 PM »
I've always had a penchant for brainless music.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 28, 2015, 06:38:28 PM »
status quo, an appropriate name since they never change. saw them open for rory gallagher around 1975. in all honesty i should like these guys given my taste but i just can't. :o
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 28, 2015, 06:59:02 PM »
You're then part of the explanation why they never broke America - no harm done! They're wealthy enough. They might have fallen through the cracks in the US for the simple reason that Francis Rossi's voice (the lead singer on nearly all their hits) was too pop and British for people that would have otherwise liked their hard rock energy and that their music was too rough and energized for a pop audience.

Quo's only hit in the US was their novelty track Pictures of Matchstick Men in 1968 - it already sounded dated then and it was the sound they so desperately tried to get away from that they didn't play it for decades after they had made the stylistic change to boogie rock.

Still, bassist Alan Lancaster did have a rock voice and why this didn't fare better in, say, Midwestern arenas where Foghat ruled supreme, is beyond me ...

They Americanized their sound in later years a great deal, but all that singing about Los Angeleeeeez and Jacksonville was to no avail:

Who said that Teles sound thin? Not if Parfitt hammers them:

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 07:31:03 PM by uwe »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 28, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »
Every one of us here should understand this: your tastes in music are just your opinions, nothing more. There's no right and wrong about it. No reason to attack one another over a matter of taste.

Thanks to the internet, every one of us ought to be able to find plenty of music to like.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 28, 2015, 09:03:50 PM »
status quo could not crack america because they were the weak sister in the boogie brigade. gallagher, foghat, savoy brown and even peter green era fleetwood mac. i guess you could throw humble pie on the pile as well.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 08:26:17 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 29, 2015, 04:33:52 AM »
Lorde is OK, as was Fiona Apple ( I heard a jazz cover of "Criminal" on WDVX that was REALLY good), and Lisa Loeb. I kinda got worried when one of the cute girls half my age was playing music on her phone at work and the songs were all modern pop I like when I hear it on the radio. I'm an angry old metalhead; the stuff I like is supposed to repel hot girls. Thank God for changing tastes (the kids' not mine!).  I also recently discovered a low powered AM/FM local station that is VERY urban and plays old soul and modern R'n'B  Here is the song that caught my attention after Aretha went off:

I hain't airy curmudgeon. I had my shots.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #117 on: August 29, 2015, 08:01:01 AM »

I'm working on being an old coot - but not a hairy one. A girl has to keep up appearances you know  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 29, 2015, 01:01:28 PM »

I'm working on being an old coot - but not a hairy one. A girl has to keep up appearances you know  ;)

Only in the areas on show, surely? Kinda like how you never want to see the kitchens of your local Chinese restaurant.  :sad:

Status Quo are fairly boring, but I would pick up on their brief psychedelic phase as being typical of their output.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 29, 2015, 01:44:07 PM »
As Tom commented, Foghat nailed Quo's coffin for their US career... Ironic, being Brits and being considered an American boogie band... :rolleyes:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...