Author Topic: Hohner Relic  (Read 1813 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Hohner Relic
« on: November 08, 2011, 06:22:21 PM »
managed to get an old Hohner bass tonight. short scale, all Mahogany with a case. i'll post pics when it arrives. looks like a goody to play with or maybe restore.

I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Hohner Relic
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 09:40:09 PM »
NICE!

I love the wood in that bass.  Cool design, too.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 04:00:10 AM »
I always like basses and guitars which look like a cross between Tele and LP.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 05:45:41 AM »
Wow, sexy looking bass!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 11:28:16 AM »
That's a nice looking little bass!  Let us know how she sounds and plays.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 04:22:17 PM »
Certainly looks a shorty
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 03:01:05 PM »
well here it is from what i have been able to glean and what appealed to me looking at it:

i love the wood in this thing as i saw it and the split pup looked interesting mounted there. i think i have always wanted to put a split P in Gibby wood but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

internet searching Hohner basses proved to be fruitless so far or at best pretty skimpy.

Hohner started marketing fretted instruments in the 70's because harmonica sales were not cutting it anymore. i did notice that now they market acoustic fretted instruments along with Steinberger licensed basses. interesting! anyways, after calling Larry Briggs in Oklahoma, a semi local knowledgeable vintage guitar man, he told me Hohner contracted to a Japan company (Matsumoku) and possibly later a Korean company (Samick) to make thier instruments. after a bit more describing the instrument to him, he told me the bass was possibly pre 1980 and yes it would probably be real or Sapella Mahogany but all the trim would be Japanese or Korean ... as in pups and hardware but it could be Korean if made at a later date. he could not give me model numbers or any technical info. he also told me they were not a high end instrument but more of a middle of the lot offering. i had noticed that by the looks of the cheap tuners that look original. not a high collectors valued instrument but maybe a lot of fun.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 04:04:50 PM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »
Is there a split in the body by the controls, CW...?

...and is that a trick of the light or has someone attempted a bit of "art on the "top" of the body...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 02:01:15 PM »
Is there a split in the body by the controls, CW...?

...and is that a trick of the light or has someone attempted a bit of "art on the "top" of the body...?

I was noticing that light line between the pots, too.....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 04:25:00 PM »
yeah, it is a split and it was disclosed before i bid. i'll check it out when it arrives.

chatted with Drew Lewis, fretted division manager at Hohner today. he told me a "G" series means 78-85 production out of Japan. Korean production came after 85 but he couldn't remember who it was Hohner contracted to and told me records of 70's and 80's production are like non-existant. as long as it plays better than my ex-g/f from London (looks super but about as passionate as a mud puddle) and doesn't sound like a turd it will do.

i sent him some pics and this is what i got back:

"Looks pretty cool. Have fun with it!
Drew Lewis
US Fretted Division Product Mgr.

Big Kahuna of Lanikai.

HOHNER INC"

he made the remark that it was made during the "lawsuit" period and better Fenders were coming out of Japan than were coming out of America at the time.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 05:12:31 PM by sniper »