Author Topic: how many basses do you bring to gigs and why?  (Read 8016 times)

Happy Face

• View Profile
Re: how many basses do you bring to gigs and why?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2013, 07:45:24 PM »
The last string I broke was in 1983, when I was playing with a pick.

You are askin' for it, cobber!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 11:12:38 PM »
Used to break strings on a regular basis when I played the (hair) metal stuff in three (instruments + voice) piece bands, late seventies, early eighties, so never went to a gig without the pair, the RD and the PC, then mid eighties Peter Cook converted my RD to fretless, so I'd bring three (a Hohner Jack as the third).

Last regular gig was the same three and post the strip-down of the RD the fretless Jazz... the PC is great for "multi-tasking" having a Mudbucker and a T'bird pup...

Use what you feel is "right" for you, Harry, and trust in the force your instinct and "ears"...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 03:33:35 AM »
Always just one. Don't care about what gig, or what band, I'll grab the bass I feel for (only got longscales), for reasons unknown to me. ;D
Last time I broke a string at a gig was at least 25 years ago. The piano player succeded in changing actual string, while I kept on playing a simplified version of the bass pattern in some soul tune we were playing at the moment. We both just laughed. Must have looked comical! Would have been much worse in a smaller band.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 07:22:14 AM »
roger waters has been touring 'the wall' worldwide for god knows how long. he takes three basses and they're all the same. he does however have lots of guitars and g. e. smith plays some bass here and there.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 01:44:59 PM »
Normally two: a fender re 62 jazz bass and precision 51. Sometimes I bring a 57 precision. This since I play with my new band covering Led Zeppelin. Before, when covering Grand Funk, I used my Eb-0 and another spare randomly chosen.
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 05:41:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies! Great to see the diversity of approaches. I love Granny Gremlin's characterization of more than one bass as "indulgent" - that was definitely in the back of my mind when I asked.

One good thing I can report is that we got our first gig! July 24 at a small place in San Francisco called "Cafe Royale" - supposed to be pretty mellow and the owner sounds psyched for us to play! If I can get my Stanley Clarke up and running then I think I am going to take that and the Duck Dunn (two signature basses) - otherwise, it'll be the '70s P & Les Paul Triumph. Fortunately this doesn't look like the kind of place where I have to fear that beer will be poured on my gear. I guess that's another question for another thread - do you take good gear out or just beaters?  :mrgreen:

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »
Congrats on the gig!

I do like some others have noted and usually just bring one to play, and one just for backup (or I just bring an extra set of strings).  I tend to rotate stuff, favoring one bass for 2-3 months, and then changing it up.  My favorites for this band are typically the 73 Triumph (using this a lot recently), 76 Thunderbird, and 73 Ric.

The only problem I've had taking my old basses out was at one gig when I used to use a 6x10 cab config with a hercules hanger braced onto the side.  Thought it would be handy to hang the bass there between sets, but at one gig a road case got pushed against the front of my EB-3 and its clasp gouged the front of it pretty good. >:(  Ever since then, bass goes in case.

Haven't had an issue with unruly bar patrons yet, but it's always entertaining.  Sometimes I feel like I should be paying them!  ;)

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 07:39:14 AM »
I only own beaters.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2013, 08:21:32 AM »
real answer   3 or 4  but more  at times

usually the bass i want to play and something different  -  fender/fodera and jaebird or something with a humbucker versus fender pups.  

Then a backup bass to the main one  

usually  either a 5 string or a fretless depending on the band.  sometimes both

If an unknown venue or outside then one of the main basses or backup needs to be a self grounding bass as i sing  alot and don't trust old wiring anymore.  

plus what am i saving them for anyway.

Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2013, 09:52:10 AM »

plus what am i saving them for anyway.

Good point! That's one of the things I like about this place - even the collectors are player/collectors.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 02:36:30 PM »
Let's see........

Good reasons I can think of...........

I break E and A strings regularly, doesn't matter what brand they are, yes I change them out often.
In my mind 1 bass = none, 2 = 1.

I don't get it :o. I broke one string in my life , back in the 70's playing with a pick. I dig in about as hard as anyone I've ever seen and it was a heavy gauge (110) E string  . I still think something was wrong with the string ???
Rick

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 03:28:07 PM »
back in the 70's when i played with pick and rotos i would break strings occassionly especially as they aged and i couldn't afford to change that frequently.  more on the 4001 and ibanez musician than the p bass. been 100% finger guy since 85 ish.  don't think i have broken a string on a gig since.  
more likely to step on a plug and break the jack output on the bass or have something fall into and break something else usually a drummer or drunk crowd.

had a few vol/tone pots or switches mishaps at gigs thru the years also.  

some dramatic weather swings causing neck bows form prior gig most likely issue especially if you don't have that truss rod with you
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 05:24:36 PM »
I don't get it :o. I broke one string in my life , back in the 70's playing with a pick. I dig in about as hard as anyone I've ever seen and it was a heavy gauge (110) E string  . I still think something was wrong with the string ???
Rick

Playing live I get pretty excited and really pound away with a .73 Tortex.........I've broken relatively new and older strings. I'm not saying what I do is the best form, it's just a way of playing that works for me.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 07:49:36 PM »
Finally started working on the multiple bass thing. Actually managed to take all four to where I rehearse and set up my amp and effects. I want to match the Alembic & the Duck Dunn for one pair, the white P-bass with the Les Paul. Still wondering if I'm crazy to take two basses to the gig - I don't think I want to switch back and forth a lot - maybe play half with one, half with the other?

That stand is funny - I bought it back in 2002 when I started collecting instruments. Never used it since, but kept it just in case. Finally came in handy! I like this shot because it shows the differences in scales - maybe I should have put the Alembic and hobbit together? Next time!

Here's another one, this time just the bodies:

The Alembic is definitely the oddball, the way it sticks out. The Les Paul is the oddball volume-wise - it definitely has the highest output of the three, at least on position 2 - I forgot to mess with that position switch! But 2 is my favorite.

Next thing I need to work on is my pedalboard!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2013, 03:30:30 AM »
Nice to have such variety to hand, H...

Re "beaters", mine are more "beaten"... :sad: ;D

Good luck... month to go...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...