Author Topic: how many basses do you bring to gigs and why?  (Read 8017 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
how many basses do you bring to gigs and why?
« on: June 03, 2013, 11:03:13 PM »
So I am hoping that my new band, Stanley Lighthead, starts playing out within the next couple of months. It's an instrumental jazz rock trio - guitar, bass, drums - lots of groove, improvisation and solos. I'm supposed to be contacting a few places but have been procrastinating. But that's not why I am starting this thread.

This is the first time I've been playing regularly in a LONG time - it's been nice because I've been able to put some instruments through their paces that I was never able to before. Vintage, I've used the Guild M-85 II fretless, the Gibson Les Paul Triumph; new instruments were the Fender Duck Dunn Signature and MIJ "'70s P-Bass" with Alembic Activator pickups. I love the basses with flats (Guild, Triumph & Duck Dunn), but if we are going to play an entire set then I think I want a bass strung with rounds. So it's either the Fender '70s or another bass, my 5-string Alembic Stanley Clarke. The Alembic seems ideal, since I can get a wide range of sounds out of it, plus it has the high C string because I have to solo a lot in this band. But it's super heavy. So I was originally thinking I would take the Fender '70s as a backup, since it also has Alembic electronics.

But then I thought, maybe I could switch basses partway through the set and play a flatwound strung bass. So I'm thinking I might take the Duck Dunn out as the backup. That way for some songs I can switch to a long scale bass (the Stanley Clarke is about 30") with flats for a different feel. Or I could do the Fender '70s as the main instrument, and trade off with the Triumph - that one has the 24 frets which are fun to try and use, and since it's short scale it might offer a nice contrast.

But I'm also trying to keep things simple, so maybe just one bass?  ???  Or maybe it's going to sound too jarring switching? I wouldn't want to switch song by song - I could see using one for five songs, the other for a few more, then back to the first one. Anyone have experience with switching basses during a set or thoughts on the topic? Or just tell your own story!  :mrgreen:

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
Re: how many basses do you bring to gigs and why?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 11:19:49 PM »
To my main band's gig I bring three: a Waterstone 12-string that has a dropped D -tuning (E to D), an 8 -string Hamer and whatever 4 string I fancy (usually a T-bird or a Telecaster). To any other gig two: one 4 string and a spare.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 11:43:42 PM »
I always bring two basses.
The one that I intend playing on.
And one spare in case I break a string, or something else should go wrong.

Sometimes, when we do a two setter, I change basses after the break. Just because I can   :)
Or when we play some songs in a different tuning (DADG).

But most of the time I just stick to the first bass.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 12:53:33 AM »
I do the same as Rob. Bring two basses and bring a spare, which I often don't use. It's tuned and ready besides me and I only needed it once because of a broken string.

I always 'match' my basses a bit. If I play the short scale Danelectro I'll take my short scale Gretsch with me. Or often it is T-Bird and 4001. I never know which to play. I'll decide last minute.

What you could do is bring a main bass with flats and one with rounds as a back up. You could use it for some songs and in case of emergency for a whole set.

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 06:46:31 AM »
Playing in a cover band, I like to switch between a bass with flats and one with rounds for sonic reasons. (Think switching between Cream & the Who.) That said, I wonder how many listeners notice the difference.... :-\

And as the others have noted, it's nice to have a backup.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 07:32:48 AM »
Normally I bring two. I would never travel without a backup. Lately I've been bringing three - 4 string Ric, 8 string Ric, and Samick mini bass. The mini bass is kind of a fun gimmick that I use for one song. The 24-3/4'' scale allows me to play the intro to Hot For Teacher in unison with our guitarist. I added some electrical tape for visual effect. ;)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 09:09:11 AM »
I bring two, mainly as backup - but also because we play Sunshine of Your Love, and I much prefer to use my '64 EB-0 on that one.  The EB also serves as a backup in case my primary bass has a problem.  (This has not happened since I got my P in 1967, but I guess it could.)

So I usually bring (whatever) bass, plus the EB-0.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 09:18:36 AM »
 Let's see........

Good reasons I can think of...........

I break E and A strings regularly, doesn't matter what brand they are, yes I change them out often.
In my mind 1 bass = none, 2 = 1.
Sometimes I'll bring two similar basses i.e. '76s or ones with sets of Lull pups.
Sometimes I just like having several up on stage  ;)
A girl has to accessorize properly, so sometimes I need a bass to match my hair and skirt ;D

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 09:40:56 AM »
Three...Dano, Precision and Pace upright

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 10:11:03 AM »
Just one.  I never break strings, and would only really want a different sound on 2 songs which we don't always play, (for one I'd want the EB3 and for the other the RD - The Triumph approximates both of those well enough)....  Also, that sort of indulgence is frowned upon in the local scene (unless it's reasonable, like if you need an upright and an electric).

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »
Typical Beatles/Sixties show:
Hofner 500/1
Rickenbacker 4001S
Danelectro Longhorn or Eastwood Classic IV or...

Beatles orchestra show:
Hofner 500/1
Rickenbacker 4001S
Fender Jazz
SX Custom VI
Jerry Jones Master Sitar

Original band:
Gibson Midtown
DiPinto Belvedere
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 03:59:20 PM »
I always brought one.  Fender Roscoe Beck V.  I've never broken a string.  Use DR HiBeams and the bass is passive so no battery worries.  I always bring and extra set of strings just in case. 

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 04:40:03 PM »
Depends on the gig.

Stones tribute - 2 x short scales (SG RI, Duesenberg Starplayer, or Ampeg Dan Armstrong RI)

Doors tribute - 1 x P bass

Stones + Doors double tribute show - 1 x shortie and 1 x P bass

Blues gig - 1 x P bass or Darkstar P

General covers gig - 2 x basses (whatever I'm in the mood for on the night, eg. JAEbird, Big Al, P bass)

Original rock gig - ditto
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 04:57:27 PM »
 I bring at least  three, maybe four......................sometimes five   :-[ standard tuning, half step, fretless, drop D  and a spare NR in standard tuning.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 06:00:40 PM »
The last string I broke was in 1983, when I was playing with a pick.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive