Author Topic: Runners  (Read 3724 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Runners
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 09:52:39 AM »
I never ran as a kid. I started around age 39, and it really got me into shape. I'm lucky to be naturally thin already, but things still changed in a way that I was not comfortable with in my mid 30s. I'm almost 53 now, 6' tall in bare feet, and under 165 lbs. so I feel like I'm doing alright. I also do some light yoga, pushups, curls and sometimes crunches and knee raises. I also play about 50 gigs a year. The running is only a couple days a week, a mile or 2, but really seems to help with metabolism. I'm energized all morning after I go.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 11:37:29 AM »
Bill Hicks with some words of wisdom. Everything in moderation is the lesson I guess, except for Keith of course.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 12:26:10 PM »
Bill Hicks with some words of wisdom. Everything in moderation is the lesson I guess, except for Keith of course.

My stepsister's husband was noticeably overweight. Not morbidly obese, just a guy who would go around and eat everybody else's leftovers at a family dinner. Chain smoker, never exercised. Then when he was in his late 20s, he decided to get healthy. Quit smoking, kept to a strict diet and lost all the excess weight and then some, started running. He and my stepsister eventually started running marathons. Running dominated their lives. Of course they got annual checkups to make sure they were healthy enough to be doing this.

Then one morning when he was out on his morning five-mile run with a running partner, he paused at a clearing and told his partner to go ahead, he would catch up with him. Then his eyes rolled up into his head and he collapsed. He was apparently dead by the time he hit the ground. A doctor just happened to be running from the opposite direction right then, but it was already too late. He was 42.

Don't overdo it.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 01:53:50 PM »
Marathon running is certainly not healthy.

tore00

• Southern by grace of God
    • View Profile
    • Snakebite
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 02:29:22 PM »
I run under strict medical control, at least one cardiac control every 6 months, but mainly I try to not exceed my limits. I know that it is not obvious but I slow down when I feel out of breath. This means that I normally am the last in the races I run but I frankly do not care if people 15 years older than me come before myself
Maker of the Bad-Sonic Pickups