Author Topic: '66-69 NR T bird questions  (Read 5430 times)

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
Re: '66-69 NR T bird questions
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2014, 06:38:40 AM »
That's the stuff, Carlo!!!
Scotchbrite.....that's a bit rough... was it a Poly finish??? The ONLY way to remove that is with a heat gun.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2014, 06:53:29 AM »
The original finish on the P bass and Ripper were clear but very hard. The naptha didn't affect those even when I used the Scotchbrite pads (those designed for kitchen use). The crappy black paint on the Pbass came right off but the blue paint and white on the Ripper were a lot harder to deal with.

Where possible I like to leave the original finish.

I used this spray stuff called Talstrip or something like that on metal motorcycle parts. It's an aircraft stripper. That stuff will strip anything off anything. Doubt I'd use it on guitar though.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2014, 07:33:41 AM »
UPS tracking says it should be at my house today!
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »
Cool!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2014, 03:48:01 PM »
 :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Denis

• View Profile
Re: '66-69 NR T bird questions: NR in house!
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2014, 06:47:42 AM »
I've been worried that the bass wouldn't survive, having heard so many stories of broken headstocks, etc. Well, it made it just fine, in large part to the fact that the case it's in is made out of old armored car parts. It's HEAVY! Stenciled on it in red is "Blast" which I supposed was a band's name.

The guy packed it very well, packing the bass in on all sides with extra styrofoam (including egg containers. The parts were all wrapped up by item, ie the TRC screws were in their own container, PG screws in their own, etc. The TRC, which I'm not sure is original (was the Gibson logo in gold or white in those days?), was wrapped with the cavity cover and both were wrapped in a blue flyer for an NYC music venue and is dated 1981. The whole she-bang smells musty! Apparently it's been in storage for many years, so it's really surprising that it still had all the original parts.

The neck below the headstock seems really smooth with no odd lumps or seams, so until I can confirm no neck breaks by removing the paint, I would bet it has no breaks. The neck seems pretty damn straight.

The holes for the original bridge posts were filled in long ago in order to mount the replacement black bridge currently on it.

The black PG is original but was painted at one point. Other than a little distortion and an area on the back corresponding to where the big pickup cover screw is which seems like some glue affected it, it's in okay shape.

The bass is surprising light and has a thin body and thin neck as well. I can easily see that one just like this was the model for the Series II BaCHs.

This week and over the weekend I'll check for serial number and see if I can get any sound out of it.

Only one of the four original acorn nuts for the original bridge saddles have survived. Anyone have any?

As I said, I'm not sure the truss rod cover is original and at one point the bass has had another one mounted on it.

Missing for sure is the mute assembly, but I'm sure that was commonly removed. There's one on eBay and I sent a lowball offer for the hell of it but it was declined.

So far, I have to say I'm pleased with it and am looking forward to rehabbing it.
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2014, 06:58:59 AM »
 Glad it arrived safley! The logo on the truss rod cover should be gold.  The correct acorn nuts are almost impossible to find.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2014, 03:13:44 PM »
Glad it arrived safley! The logo on the truss rod cover should be gold.  The correct acorn nuts are almost impossible to find.

I'm missing two acorn nuts on my '64 as well.  Have you found any available suitable replacements?  I just have standard hex nuts on there right now.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2014, 04:53:00 PM »

I'm missing two acorn nuts on my '64 as well.  Have you found any available suitable replacements?  I just have standard hex nuts on there right now.

They may not be the gin-you-wine article, but ACE Hardware carries a pretty good selection of acorn nuts. And a quick search for "chrome plated acorn nuts" is rewarding...

Chrome plated ones here...called cap nuts: http://monsterfastener.com/ichrome.aspx?gclid=CJbF7YbZuLwCFY1AMgodVD8Ajg
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2014, 08:39:27 PM »
Sorry those are not even close.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2014, 09:27:56 PM »
Sorry those are not even close.

It's amazing how ballsy a Thunderbird sounds with those tiny nuts.

Denis

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2014, 07:35:26 AM »
Hahaha!
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2014, 08:03:16 AM »
 I had a source, they sent me samples. Not spot on but very close. When I ordered they sent me a bag of product that was the wrong size and looked nothing like the samples. We went round and round about it and I got nowhere so I dropped it. I gave the samples to someone because I thought I'd have tons of 'em.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 08:31:35 AM by godofthunder »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2014, 04:20:41 PM »
It's amazing how ballsy a Thunderbird sounds with those tiny nuts.

2min 30secs... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2014, 05:44:10 PM »
The correct acorn nuts are almost impossible to find.

Almost impossible means not impossible, which means possible ;D

What is the correct screw size and wrench size?