Author Topic: Question for new NR Thunderbird owner(s)  (Read 2430 times)

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
Question for new NR Thunderbird owner(s)
« on: March 06, 2013, 06:37:34 AM »
Quick question.  

While I'm loving the overall feel of the new non-reverse, I am a tad disappointed with the sound.  Considering it shares the same pickups/circuitry/heritage as the reverse models, by comparison I'm finding the output [edit] to be muddy.  I have three other TBs of various vintage all of which have a much wider tonal range.

Anyone experiencing the same?

Cheers
P
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 04:03:49 PM by planetgaffnet »
The future I come from no longer exists.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Question for new NR Thunderbird owner(s)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 06:40:47 AM »
I can't compare it to a current T-bird but the NRs are set neck rather than neck through. That could account for some of it. I would guess it's more equivalent to a studio Thunderbird than to a regular T-bird.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 06:52:50 AM »
Quick question. 

I have three other TBs of various vintage...

Cheers
P

Specific years of your TBirds could help narrow the reasons, besides string and setup differences (most importantly distance of pickups from strings).

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 10:35:10 AM »
The TBs are a 97', '04 and a '00 Gothic.  All are fitted with Hipshot Supertone bridges.  Strings are minty fresh D'Addario EXL 170s. 

I've been adjusting the pickups up and down since it arrived and to be honest nothing has really made any difference.  Hardly any top and quite farty.

I'm going to take a peak into the control cavity in a few minutes...
P

saltymonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 11:10:39 AM »
Mine new NR is not like that at all. Plenty of beef and sparkle. I'm actually rolling the bridge pick up and tone off a bit. I love this bass, have totally bonded with it.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 12:13:13 PM »
Although I haven't heard the NR, this sounds like an electronics problem. The output should not be low.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 12:35:40 PM »
If I could be so bold, listen to this - or more to the point from about the 50 second mark - I'm not looking for a critique of my playing as this is simply a work in progress, just the tone):

This is my 2004 Thunderbird.  My set up generally involves going into a Sansamp and this is pretty much the sound I get straight out of the box (irrespective of the bass).  Plug in the NR and zilch...there's no drive whatsoever.  I'm not saying that there's no output volume, there is, but it's completely flat.

By way of a test, I desoldered the tone pot a few minutes ago and the tone is just as muddy across both pickups.  Weird.

Guess I might take it over to a tech I know this weekend.
P

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 01:37:41 PM »
I've noticed quite a bit of variance in the output and tone of modern TB+ pups.  My '00 Blackbirds pups are very hot, and much darker than compared to the stock pups that came in my 2007 IV.  The IV always sound weak and midrangey by comaprison. I bought a set of pups from Denis as replacmeents, and they are 80-90% closer to the Blackbird. My Studio 5'er is somewhere in between. Before I swapped the pups in the IV I tried messing with the electronics, including different pots, tone capacitors, wiring configs - but it was all the same. Only changing the pups helped me.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 05:02:08 PM »
Mine sounds great, and certianly doesn't suffer from a low output. In fact it's quite the opposite, I lowered the pickups to tone it down a bit.

Now if I can just get it to shed a few pounds. It is heavy, too heavy for me to play a four hour gig with it.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 07:34:17 PM »
I got curious...My NR is just as hot as my '11 Reverse with the pickup height the same. Definately seems like something might be amiss with yours...

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 06:31:00 AM »
I've spoken to my tech guy and am dropping it over next Tuesday.  He asked me a couple of questions which will probably make some sense.

First up he asked, by way of comparison, if one of my other TBs had a tonal range of 1-100 (with lower number being the bass end of things tonally) where does the NR sit.  I said there was no top end and would say the available range was low-bass to low-mids (ie 20-40). 

He also asked whether raising or lowering the pickups makes any difference.  I countered this by saying the output wasn't an issue (it's loud).  Raising the pickups just sent a hotter signal to the amp causing it to clip/fart.

Where we're at now is that he's going to remove everything from the pots and start from scratch.  He thinks it's probably just bad wiring.

Fingers crossed!
P

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 06:54:07 AM »
Yes, there must be something amiss here. I played mine side by side with the B&CH and a sixties Non Rev. True, the Reissue is bassier, but not weaker than the other two, in fact the output signal is a little higher. It does sound bassier than a reg Rev TBird, but that is owed to the set neck and a much thicker body.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 04:02:29 PM »
Uwe...there's nothing but mid-lows, no top whatsoever.  I feel a bit of a cock as I didn't really notice as I'd been playing the new one pretty much exclusively since it arrived.  Maybe my first post could have been better phrased, the output is fine (viz. it's as loud as my other basses), but tonally it's awful.

I've gone through a plethora of basses previously...Fender, Gibson, Warwick, Hamer etc.  different woods, bolt on set neck, neck through, but none of them sounded this bad.

I thank everyone for their input.  I'll report back next Tuesday.
P

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 07:55:27 PM »
i wonder if the pickups are out of phase?
Louder bass!.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 03:41:25 AM »
i wonder if the pickups are out of phase?

How would I determine this?  Anyhow, I'll give it 48 hours!  I'm not planning on rehearsing in that time.
P