Author Topic: New Epiphone Newport Bass.  (Read 5617 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: New Epiphone Newport Bass.
« Reply #75 on: February 03, 2023, 12:31:21 PM »
  Here's my full review a little long winded but it does have two pickups   ;D

Nice job on the review, Scott. Informative and to the point. And no lobster claw.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 03, 2023, 09:37:49 PM »
Excellent review, Scott. It would be great if someone at Gibson saw this,

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2023, 04:08:00 AM »
Excellent sounding bass.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2023, 04:43:47 AM »
Excellent review, Scott. It would be great if someone at Gibson saw this,
   I did send this to my contact at Gibson and it has been forwarded to the appropriate department. Hopefully they can get yhings soted quickly.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2023, 05:31:25 AM »
I hope they get on that.
When I picked up my SquierVI it was very nicely set up. I was very surprised.
A lot of kids will pick up a guitar , and if the action is high will simply say “this is shit” and move on. They also swear you have to get a tech to set it up, and will badmouth that product forever.
I know that a factory set up is a compromise. But if it isn’t relatively easy to play there’s going to be trouble.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2023, 06:46:49 AM »
   From my perspective these issues aren't just a bad factory set up, it goes beyond that imho.  Every bass whether inexpensive or costing in the thousands needs a set up when I get it home, no harm no foul really.  With the Newport the high nut combined with unsuitable strings forced the high set up, even with the action very high the bass buzzed like a bag full of bee's. I've been in music retail since '76 this bass was well beyond factory set up parameters.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 11:03:53 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2023, 08:38:42 AM »
Did they just stick a generic 45 - 105 string set on there? Cut off four inches and pretend is a short scale set?

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2023, 09:07:27 AM »
But if it isn’t relatively easy to play there’s going to be trouble.

That would go for pretty much every US Fender I've tried at GC over the years. The neck can be bowed so bad you could take it to the archery range and they'll just throw it up un the wall. I took one over to their repair guy and simply said "Really? Why would anybody even consider buying this?". He told me that they are instructed not to waste any time with even cursory setups on instruments for sale. Oddly, the upper-tier Squiers are usually pretty solid despite their worst efforts.

When it comes to online sales of new instruments, I bought an SX 70s-style J-Bass several years back that was absolutely perfect out of the box, save for crappy strings. Even the pickups - which qualify as entry-level based on the price point of the instrument - were good enough to not mess with to this day. The other SXs I've purchased were more spotty, but always playable out of the box. With Epiphone, credit where credit is due - my Thunderbird VP and CP were pretty much on the money.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2023, 09:15:05 AM »
Did they just stick a generic 45 - 105 string set on there? Cut off four inches and pretend is a short scale set?

It doesn't look that way to me - mine is strung pretty neatly on those little girlie tuner posts (nitpicking here, they work fine). I think a cut-down set would hamper production efficiency. Those strings DO suck big time, though

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2023, 07:57:41 PM »
Oh, it's orange, lol. It's like a really bright mac & cheese. Monitors and cameras will vary, however, but here it is - I changed out the knobs...

Thank you!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2023, 05:12:08 AM »
  They made as short scal, the E string looks to be .90 . Personally I like a .100 for my E string on SS basses 

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2023, 05:16:11 AM »
   I did send this to my contact at Gibson and it has been forwarded to the appropriate department. Hopefully they can get things sorted quickly.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2023, 06:04:05 AM »
   If one is good two are better right?  A cherry Newport showed up at the House of Guitars and it was just so pretty I had to have it.  The three piece body is beautiful no veneer on top or back. The Newport is my favorite new bass at any price point.  I just love them.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2023, 10:57:35 PM »
   If one is good two are better right?  A cherry Newport showed up at the House of Guitars and it was just so pretty I had to have it.  The three piece body is beautiful no veneer on top or back. The Newport is my favorite new bass at any price point.  I just love them.

Pics. please!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2023, 08:14:48 AM »
Pics. please!
    To access my old photo bucket account they want $.  Dave are there any photo hosting apps other than photo bucket?