Author Topic: Triumph bass in the house !  (Read 7131 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph bass in the house !
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2009, 04:06:33 PM »
Well there's a project for a rebuild and sale...!

I took it to rehearsal on Mon. I gave it a quick set up but I need to tweak it more. My first reaction is man is this thing heavy ! No neck dive................ more like body dive

Uwe's obviously busy, so I'll deputise here... "Nein, Herr Thunder, it is a manly instrument, to sort die Männer von den Jungs..."  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2009, 04:48:46 PM »
 I took it to rehearsal on Mon. I gave it a quick set up but I need to tweak it more. My first reaction is man is this thing heavy ! No neck dive................ more like body dive, the thing wants to slide right off my lap and head for the floor  ! I like the neck a lot, nice round profile and lots of frets ! I can get nice and high up the neck. I played it for a few songs and Like the sound, I am still playing with all the knobs and switches. I still like my NRs way better, nothing will ever replace those for me. I do hope to keep the Triumph.

I find that my Triumph actually feels really comfortable on a strap and very heavy and unbalanced sitting down...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 09:13:19 PM »
Nice catch!  Its pretty seldom that I make it into a GC, and when I do I never seem to find anything drool-worthy like that.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2009, 01:31:37 AM »
Hey Scott do you really rehearse sitting down?
Like Hieronymous said it really feels comfortable on a strap.

About the tweaking. Be careful not to mess up the factory height setting of the pickups. If the height is not correct there is a chance they might cancel each other out.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2009, 04:43:44 AM »
No I rehearse standing up, it just struck me as I tried it at the store and at home on the couch how body heavy the thing is, hey I'm not used to that ! ;) I expect the neck to dive ! The strap I took to rehearsal was to short :( The bass felt weird so high.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2009, 05:33:38 AM »
Hobbits are not toys, their weight ensures that. They hang well and stable. And they are indeed so bodyheavy, they are no good played sitting down, they slip off my lap too. Which is ironic given that they were made for studio work which is often performed sitting down.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2009, 05:43:06 AM »
Congrats Scott, After becoming enamored with the sound of these basses (Rob is totally to blame) I've had a bad case of GAS myself. Very envious. Good luck to you.
Digresion our specialty!

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2009, 07:34:21 AM »
Exactly how heavy are those things?
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2009, 03:07:07 PM »
4.8 kilograms.
The Les Paul Bass (aka Recording weighs in at 5.1 kg)

Now how slippery exactly are your loins gentlemen?
My Hobbits stay put when planted there. ;)

But I plant them on my left leg. Like you do with a classical (or spanish) guitar.
I believe that's what old Lester did too.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2009, 03:49:28 PM »
4.8 kilograms.
The Les Paul Bass (aka Recording weighs in at 5.1 kg)

Now how slippery exactly are your loins gentlemen?
My Hobbits stay put when planted there. ;)

But I plant them on my left leg. Like you do with a classical (or spanish) guitar.

Thats about 10.5 - 11 pounds for the non metric inclined

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2009, 03:50:42 PM »
Is that all...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2009, 04:35:42 PM »

I think you're right, and that was exactly what I was thinking of as a way to prevent it from sliding off.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2009, 04:43:25 PM »
 I have not had much time to check this bass out :sad: What I can say is Gibson put a lot of love into it. Very finely crafted instrument, excellent finish, frets are dress to the 9s. Lots of detail................... b/w binding on the neck, b/w/b/w on the body, mop block inlay on the neck, beautiful headstock inlay and what a chunk of mahogany ! A beautiful bass for sure ! I remember the first time I saw a Triumph Bass('72-'73). A local band Old Salt was performing after the Hike for Hope ( you remember those ?!) So after a 25 mile walk we were treated to a concert by Old Salt...................and there it was  !  They were plugging their new single and I have to say I was very impressed, being very impressionable .Such a beautiful bass I never got it out of my head !  A friend of mine now owns that exact bass ! Man does sounds great ! So when I saw this bass at GC I HAD to have it
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 04:56:00 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2009, 06:04:30 PM »
I never checked the weight of my Les Paul Basses before so I figured it was about time I did.

1970 Les Paul Bass     = 12.5 LBS
1972 Les Paul Triumph = 10.0 LBS
1973 Les Paul Triumph = 11.0 LBS

The '72 is my player, it had a BADASS bridge installed before I bought it & yet it is the lightest.
It was done with a digital bathroom scale that only measures in half pounds.  :thumbsup:
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 19, 2009, 06:51:41 PM »
These weights are about what I expected, based on my memories of having played them in stores.