Author Topic: The 2016 Camaro 1SS  (Read 2630 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
The 2016 Camaro 1SS
« on: April 12, 2016, 10:53:58 AM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: The 2016 Camaro 1SS
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 11:33:10 AM »
Which reminds me of the Hispanic cop (maybe a little Native American too) who pulled us over in the late 80ies in inner-state California and, seeing that we were Krauts from my ID and driver's license, had a nostalgic flashback to his time in Germany as a GI and let us go unfined with the dry remark "And keep to the speed limit - this is not the Autobahn!" He pronounced that real nicely and it puts a smile to my face to this day.  ;D

275 km/h - in my currency - is indeed speedy. I sometimes go around 260 km/h with my Volvo (that's the speed it is limited to electronically), but only for a few seconds or so and at 4 am in the morning when a four lane Autobahn is empty as far as you can see. In regular (or even any) traffic, that speed is reckless even in Germany. And Volvos aren't taken serious in Germany anyway so you always have to brace yourself for some Mercedes-, BMW- or Audi-idiot who underestimates the Swedish (Chinese?) lightning!  ;) When you hit the brakes at that speed, you can feel physics at work.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 01:26:01 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 12:42:04 PM »
My sister used to have a late 60s Camaro.  People kept coming by wanting to buy it.  She should have just gone ahead and sold it because eventually it got stolen.  She really loved that car, though.  Obviously, so did the thief. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 02:44:23 PM »
I wonder if they still sell those silly body kits that make it look like a Ferrari/Lamborgini (from a distance; up close they are obviously too large).  Guy in my old hood had one gussied up like that.  Silliest thing I have ever seen.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 04:36:17 PM »
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 11:29:27 PM »
Fastest I've been (excluding planetary speed) is 570mph approx... ;)

Anyone here ever do the 1400 mph trip between London and NY...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 04:54:09 AM »
I got to do it once and while fast it wasn't all that luxurious in the Concorde. It was more like a domestic narrowbody really, but the food/drinks were pretty good. There was a digital readout at the bulkhead that told you how fast you were going, the craziest thing was being able to see the curvature of the earth through the window.

The only reason I could afford it was I was working for Northwest Airlines at the time and we were offered the "employee' rate on BA at one point. IIRC it was 500+fees for a one way ticket, I flew from JFK to London and then took a normal flight back on NWA back.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 10:01:55 AM »
I've only stood in the passenger compartment of a grounded Concorde once. I was amazed how crowded, makeshift-military everything looked, the fuselage body is basically a narrow tunnel, I could not stand erect anywhere except in the gangway and there just barely, I'm 1,90 meters on a good day ...

1,80 meters or less whenever Nofi and/or the Minnesotan have had their go at me. I'm the suppressed German minority of this forum.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 10:07:36 AM »
Don't trivialize his struggle, guys.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 11:20:54 AM »
Fastest I've been (excluding planetary speed) is 570mph approx... ;)

Anyone here ever do the 1400 mph trip between London and NY...?

This pretty much how I get to see them at my house.......Except the wheels are down and if you're really good at tread identification - you can tell what brand of tire the have on.
 Last year while working in the yard I noticed a 747 in the approach pattern for Sea Tac's 3rd runway, NOT supposed to happen! Sure enough after he passed over and continued north I saw him kick it in pants and pull up into a hard left turn out over Puget Sound. After 5 minutes or so he passed over again, this time in the pattern for the #2 runway....

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 03:14:23 PM »
I've been a little further past that LED display on the port side, but never when she was off the ground... :D

Fully operational and still under manufacturers warranty at this point... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 04:30:32 PM »
Don't trivialize his struggle, guys.

Jake, I just canuck get enough of your sincere and warm empathy!  :mrgreen:

I tend to invade when I feel provoked!!!

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 04:35:56 PM »
I wonder if they still sell those silly body kits that make it look like a Ferrari/Lamborgini (from a distance; up close they are obviously too large).  Guy in my old hood had one gussied up like that.  Silliest thing I have ever seen.

Only Canadians bought them Jake.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 05:14:09 PM »
Weird, cause they were proudly made in the USA according to the package.

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 03:55:06 AM »
AH, I'm jealous.  I would have loved to have seen the inner workings of that beast!  ;D  I spent about 15 years in the airline business before getting out to do something entirely different. The most interesting project I got to work on was light overhaul on "air force 2" the Boeing C-32 that the Vice President flies around in. Otherwise it was just run of the mill civilian aircraft.  Getting on and off the C-32 was interesting because we had to pass through security an get patted down every time.