Author Topic: Custom bass head question  (Read 4429 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Custom bass head question
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 06:21:38 AM »
Wow, interesting debate.  I was curious about this idea as I have a friend who uses clone tube guitar amps built by a local guy and he loves them.  Knowing nothing about it, I was wondering what you all thought.  Carlo makes a good point.  Vintage is still the real deal and can be repaired/maintained by a good tech.

Yeah, because at this age we deserve the real thing!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 07:02:07 AM »
Yeah, because at this age we deserve the real thing!

Amen Carlo.  We should be able to treat ourselves by this time in our lives!!!! 
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2014, 10:27:32 AM »
I could understand getting something done custom if what you want doesn't quite exist... but I don't think I would buy a custom-bulit clone of an existing amp.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2014, 11:42:29 AM »
I could understand getting something done custom if what you want doesn't quite exist... but I don't think I would buy a custom-bulit clone of an existing amp.

Good point!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2014, 06:43:07 AM »
 Bill I presume you are talking about John Nau. He has been keeping my amps humming for 27 years. He has wanted to build me a rig for quite some time but I can't justify it. Not that it wouldn't be great but I'd never get my money out of it. He always asks me why I use this ratty old stuff and my answer is that is sounds fantastic.....................at least to me.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 09:17:25 PM »
Well, there are those amps like the Reeves bass heads which I'd day are an improvement on the Hiwatts. At least in terms if usability. No?

I was using an Orange AD 200 Mk 3. The Orange snobs refuse to accept those. But it sounded good enough that when I saw a hand wired version on EBay I bot it. It's a thing of beauty inside, but most important,  it kicks butt live.

I used to agree with you guys about running old amps and I'd buy an old SVT if I ever went that route. But it is nice nice not having to worry about knocking an old solder joint loose when you load in or out.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2014, 07:03:46 AM »
 Thats why I always have at least one back up in the van. I bought a Orange terror bass for that exact purpose.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 02:10:11 PM »
Same here. I also use it as part if my "small" rig.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2014, 06:43:54 PM »
Well, I didn't go the custom route.  I bought a Marshall Super Bass head.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 06:45:01 AM »
  Good move!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2014, 06:52:28 AM »
  Good move!

I've been reading up on them and decided I'd like one and it was a good deal compared to an old Hiwatt.  I'll chat more about it after it arrives.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2014, 07:32:20 AM »
 I find the old Marshalls have more sparkle less oomph than the Hiwatts. That's a very simplistic description. Time to break out your Ric and your Roger Glover licks.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2014, 11:15:26 AM »
Well, I didn't go the custom route.  I bought a Marshall Super Bass head.

Bought one myself last summer, restored it and grown really fond of it. It must be the unit I own that does bass and
guitar equally perfect! And just loud enough for bass..

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 05:42:09 AM »
I find the old Marshalls have more sparkle less oomph than the Hiwatts. That's a very simplistic description. Time to break out your Ric and your Roger Glover licks.

Well, it's finny you mention sparkle because I am missing that with the Mesa head.  When I get the boominess under control I don't really like the tone I'm able to get.  I'm also having a little problem with attack time on the Mesa.  We also have lots of acoustic problems with the little club where we play and I have to clean up my tone a bit as reverberation is a major issue right now.  So, sparkle might not be bad.  Beside, I bought it to collect as well as play. Maybe a Hiwatt is in my future some day too!

The best tone I have is my B-15 at home.  Maybe I should try that!!!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2014, 05:47:12 AM »
Bought one myself last summer, restored it and grown really fond of it. It must be the unit I own that does bass and
guitar equally perfect! And just loud enough for bass..

I remember.  I followed your thread when you were acquiring it.  I also read a few other things online and that's why I decided to give it a try.  I really wanted a vintage tube amp with 100 watts and it was a reasonable deal.