Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

EB3 Anomalies?

<< < (2/4) > >>

eb2:
The 5 screw holes on the tuners are unusual as well.  Older Gibson/Klusons had 4, and the later Schallers did not have that footprint, and by the appearance the body is like a later Schaller era bass.  The body looks good, but if it were built to fake out the GI's, then that is not a surprise. 

I did see a 60s Jazzmaster Vietnamese copy that was pretty inventive - right down to the Fender logo on the whammy bar plate - but it was made out of bungo wood, and sandcasted parts.  The shape and contours were dead-on though.  I am not saying that is what yours is - but it would be in line with that kind of work.

But it is a project.  If you were being inventive, you could get one of those semi-finished Gibson factory leftover bass neck from ebay, and glue it on.  Maybe even use that fret board.  I would love a closer pic of the neck near the break, and the front of the headstock.

EvilLordJuju:
The truss rod is just missing as opposed to never there?

The body looks like a '72 after-slothead, pre-three-point bridge. In fact the pickup and bridge say it can't be anything else.

But, that should have a maple neck. Body and neck look the same on that. Also the neck pocket is different. Look at those greatdealz necks for an example. Wrong number of fret dots too

mine is here if you want to compare screwhole by screwhole
1972 gibson EB3

Dave W:
D'oh! Of course! It should have a maple neck. And 20 frets.

eb2:
As I said before, the body looks good.  It could be that someone without a lot of luthier experience but above-average woodworking experience attempted to make their own neck - skipping the whole truss rod thing.  I know that as Gibson bass fans, we have seen some fascinating work done on these.  I had a headstock break that someone made a new headstock for, just that whole headstock pitch they couldn't understand.  In that light, they may have removed the neck, made up a close enough version and there you go.  The pups are filled really well, so anything is possible.

GonzoBass:
Thanks for taking a look at this one for me.

Here's a few new pics of the repaired headstock.
I can't say "no truss" for sure
(the neck was always stable for me)
but no truss access.
That's for sure-

The original tuners were "elephant ears" but there were only three screws.
(Odd in itself. No?)
What appears as the two additional holes were indentations from the worm gears-

The original bridge was a two point bar with a mute-

It's definitely a 21 fret neck
but it doesn't look or feel like maple.
...much darker and softer.
Like the body-

I'll have to dig out and scan some old pics of the original
(It was a beaut!)
but if there's anything else in particular you'd like a shot of,
please let me know.

Thanks again guys!