Author Topic: Duane & Berry Forever!!  (Read 2186 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Duane & Berry Forever!!
« on: August 08, 2008, 03:57:08 PM »

bobyoung

• View Profile
Re: Duane & Berry Forever!!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 08:46:48 PM »
That's an early picture of Berry Oakley, that's a Starfire pickup in his jazz which I believe was taken out at some point. He was great though, loved his sound, flatwounds with a pick.

JTE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 11:04:29 AM »
Nah, he kept the Starfire PUP in there all the time.   His son has the bass now, and Fender made a Custom Chop replica of it years ago.  Berry just moved the neck PUP to back by the bridge when he put the bidg Hagstrom single-coil (that's who supplied those Guild PUPs) in the bass.  Under his right hand you can see both Jazz PUPs.

There may be two of the modified Jazzes too.  The one Fender copied is a natural finish, but it looks like a re-fin so it may be the same bass stripped and finished in clear.

jte
Without space, music is just noise piling up on itself

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 11:32:18 AM »
Fred Hammon is making brilliant copies of those Hagstrom pick ups under the name Darkstar. Goolge it! Fred's a poster here too!

At the old Dudepit used to be a Darkstar forum; people built those pick ups in Gibsons, a lot of Precisions and even a Rickenbacker. And in (reissue) Starfires of course.
There were some tractor replicas too!

I have this old Fender brochure with the son of Oakly holding the replica and the original Tractor. It has no Hagstrom, but DeArmond Goldtone as used in the reissue Starfires.

BTW: In the Gibson V thread you see Jack Casady wioth a V with Hagstroms!

Fred Hammon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 06:34:01 PM »
OK.
Here are some of the photos I have:

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2008, 11:23:23 AM »
Thanks, yeah I looked it up on the web after I posted it. Obviously I don't have to ask how it sounded, he had a great bass sound.