Author Topic: Downplaying the 1960s British Invasion  (Read 7920 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Downplaying the 1960s British Invasion
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2015, 09:09:32 AM »
I've always been surprised at the connections that run through music.  Buckley > Harrison doesn't seem that odd.  You juts never know who met who, or why someone might have gotten curious about some aspect of the past and incorporated it into their music.

Very cool story.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
Starts about 0:45

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

westen44

• View Profile
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2015, 11:22:34 AM »
I've always been surprised at the connections that run through music.  Buckley > Harrison doesn't seem that odd.  You juts never know who met who, or why someone might have gotten curious about some aspect of the past and incorporated it into their music.

Very cool story.

I'm sure there is a great deal that could be said about Buckley.  In reading about him, I also noticed he had an Ed Sullivan connection.  That appearance on Groucho Marx was exactly 20 years before "Crackerbox Palace" would come out. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2015, 05:06:55 PM »
That's a remarkable connection between Buckley and George Harrison. Never knew that.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2015, 06:59:22 PM »
That's a remarkable connection between Buckley and George Harrison. Never knew that.

Here is the song--strange as it is.  What I always liked about George was how he added so much to albums such as Revolver, the White Album, and Abbey Road.  Then when the solo careers began, I liked his solo work through "Living in the Material World."  But after Pattie Boyd left him he fell apart and at one point even became suicidal.  It's reflected in the music, too.  He put himself back together, but came back in a different way.  There would never be another album like LITMW, although all the albums had much to offer.  (Notice Buckley's manager's name is supposed to be spelled "Greif" in the video, not Grief.)

Another thing I didn't know is that evidently George played bass on several songs on "Abbey Road" if what this guy is saying at the bottom is correct. 

« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 03:02:43 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2015, 05:14:56 AM »
Unfortunately and ironically, US Radio continues to remain a pinnacle of segregation - of all places!

Copy that! Growing up, my favorite station was a weird rock/urban format that literally would play Danzig back to back with Prince and then have a Bobby Brown song followed by Judas Priest followed by Micheal Jackson and the Police, basically MTV's early format with real metal added. Nowadays, you have all kinds of different types of radio stations in the US, but they all play the same ten damn songs within their respective genres. My local "modern rock" station just went country (because the other ten of those locally aren't enough) and even though it was so bad that the local music segment on Sunday Nights (there's a local Pantera clone that sounds better than Pantera's last three albums) was its high point, it pissed me off. Still hearing grunge and light metal on the dinosaur classic rock station helps, but man... just man!

The blame falls squarely on corporate radio chain owners who blanket-program the same playlists across the entire nation because allowing a DJ or program director to choose his own music is somehow communism. ...but ads are sold in national blocs, which are split, you guessed it, right along the same genre lines: unrestrained capitalism making your life progressively shittier.

RE: the OP's relative who thinks that "real music" began with 90's hip hop: don't argue with an idiot (and I LIKE that stuff!)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2015, 08:05:58 AM »
@Psycho Bass Guy
The relative in question is, in fact, pretty smart.  But her taste in music is something that might be hard to even describe.  It's mostly just hip-hop, though.  I'd say she takes after her father (who I'm not related to by blood, thank God.)  I once heard him say he didn't understand what was so great about the Beatles--that he didn't know what the big deal was.  As a 16 year old, he and a friend drove from Tennessee to see Woodstock.  But it wasn't for the music.  They just heard there was party going on and all that.  He did somewhat take note of Hendrix, but I think a lot of that had to do with being woken up by such deafening sounds in the morning.  Long story short, if someone has no use for the Beatles and barely even seems to be interested in the music at Woodstock despite being there in person, it does cause me to question their taste in music.  I could say more, but will leave it at that. 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 11:08:41 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2015, 12:54:03 PM »
Sounds like your shirttail relative is one of those people who just doesn't get music. Folks like that do exist, I've met a few over the years.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2015, 01:14:22 PM »
Sounds like your shirttail relative is one of those people who just doesn't get music. Folks like that do exist, I've met a few over the years.

A similar discussion is going on over at TB and the younkers there are predictably at odds with us grey-hairs about the issue. Radio has changed drastically over the past 20+ years, and it's not for the better.  I hate to say that, because live radio is the thing I most enjoy doing, and in most places, the opportunity just isn't there anymore.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2015, 02:03:12 PM »
What is played on radio these days is what sells.  Simple as that, as distasteful as it is.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2015, 02:19:02 PM »

This person who was at Woodstock but wasn't quite sure why, is also tone deaf the best I remember.  He would be about as useful in a recording studio as I would be in a spacecraft trying to be an astronaut.  He has some talents, but music isn't one of them. 

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2015, 08:16:28 AM »
This person who was at Woodstock but wasn't quite sure why, is also tone deaf the best I remember.  He would be about as useful in a recording studio as I would be in a spacecraft trying to be an astronaut.  He has some talents, but music isn't one of them.

Therefore, he is a self-qualified expert music commentator.  Figures.  :P

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2015, 09:49:01 AM »
My big regret was not going to Woodstock when a friend invited me to go along.  I had just flown back from the Philippines the day before and was exhausted.  We lived in Philly and could have easily driven there.  Duh.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2015, 09:56:04 AM »
Good thing you didn't bother. The roads to Woodstock were jammed ........  ;)
Experience is the ultimate teacher