Author Topic: After years of speculation, a GC bankruptcy could happen  (Read 1331 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: After years of speculation, a GC bankruptcy could happen
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 11:03:12 AM »
I hope that doesn't happen. I heard that guitar sales were up sharply as people stayed at home. Hoped that would help GC.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 09:10:41 PM »
I hope that doesn't happen. I heard that guitar sales were up sharply as people stayed at home. Hoped that would help GC.

I'm sure it has helped, but the refinanced long term debt is finally closing in on GC.

If it happens, looks like they will be going Chapter 11, so they won't be going out of business, at least in the short term.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 07:54:05 AM »
GC & MF sent out or advertised 15% to 20% offers for years. I haven’t seen this for quite a while. While they do have sales, they quit the discount offers.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 03:48:29 PM »
GC & MF sent out or advertised 15% to 20% offers for years. I haven’t seen this for quite a while. While they do have sales, they quit the discount offers.

The major manufacturers put an end to that. From what I've read, you can still often get discounts from MF by asking but they can't advertise it like they used to.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 02:50:59 AM »
The major manufacturers put an end to that. From what I've read, you can still often get discounts from MF by asking but they can't advertise it like they used to.

I sometimes took advantage of those advertised discounts at MF.  Sometimes those were hard to resist.  But I was never able to get any additional discounts by asking them on the phone.  I can remember once, for instance, of trying to get a slight discount and the guy told me if he could get that he would buy the bass for his wife.  I've already talked about it on other threads, but where I've been the luckiest is with Sweetwater.  I still don't know how I got an SG Standard like new for $300 off in June.  It even looked newer than the LP Junior Tribute DC bass I bought at the beginning of the year.  Because the LP Jr. did have a few very slight scratches on the pickguard.  I still wish MF the best, though.  Mf has been having problems for a long time, but if the opportunity ever presented itself I would still buy from them again some day.  All in all in my own personal experiences with them the good has outweighed the bad. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 08:24:32 PM »
I just got an email notification from GC stating that they will be filing Chapter 11

Good luck to employees.
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 09:19:12 PM »
It says they will still continue operations and be able to place orders, though.  Will still be getting new gear, etc. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 09:23:47 PM »
It says they will still continue operations and be able to place orders, though.  Will still be getting new gear, etc.

Well, that's the point of filing a Chapter 11 - staying in business (almost) as usual - as opposed to liquidating it via Chapter 7.

Restructuring will likely shut down stores and cost people jobs, though.
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 09:39:24 PM »
Well, that's the point of filing a Chapter 11 - staying in business (almost) as usual - as opposed to liquidating it via Chapter 7.

Restructuring will likely shut down stores and cost people jobs, though.

The point for me personally is I'm just going to keep doing what I was already doing--getting ready to order some stuff from them.  Right now nothing really important, though.  I don't need much of anything at the moment.  I'm sure all that's happening will cause some changes, but we'll have to see. 

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 09:56:13 PM »
Is Woodwind & Brasswind part of all this that's going on, too? 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2020, 10:27:38 PM »
Is Woodwind & Brasswind part of all this that's going on, too?

Yes, but who knows what will happen as part of the Chapter 11 plan. I can't imagine it closing down.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 07:16:14 AM »
Corporate spin.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 09:58:21 AM »
I appreciate GC because it has the best stock of stuff in my area, and it's also one of the places you can find used gear. We have a good local store (Spotlight Music), but their business has shifted 75% online, and they don't stock much in the building any more. Unless I am shopping for new stuff, they're not a great deal of help to me and there's not much point in walking in the door. I'm mainly a used buyer, so that's not much appeal for me.

I'm glad GC went Chap 11 and will be able to continue in business.  I haven't followed them financially but I hope they make it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."