Main Forums > The Outpost Cafe

So, what have you been listening to lately?

<< < (849/853) > >>

Ken:
New David Gilmour.  I don't love the song, but it's comforting to know Gilmour is still making new music.  Good solo at the end.

uwe:
For better or worse, it's David Gilmour, what do you expect, it's like waiting for Mark Knopfler to do something different. :mrgreen: Not a bad track and some Ezrin'esque habits stick - like adding a kiddie choir (Alice Cooper, Kiss, Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd ...).

Seeing Gilmour explore the limits of the pentatonic blues scale on a Les Paul sure looks weird, but the man can play what he wants.

His many fans will no doubt be pleased and I wasn't prompted to cut the song short either. There are a few bum notes in the solo, he left those, I like that.

Ken:
I agree with all of that.

Alanko:
I'm a Floyd fan, but they are the perfect example of a band that is far greater than the sum of its parts. Roger Waters solo work is brutal. That quavering, pitchy voice that is plain ugly to listen to. David Gilmour, conversely, can't write songs. He's pushed too hard at the 'voice of Pink Floyd' angle and tipped into historic revisionism.

When he helped tackle the Pink Floyd 'Early Years' box set, Gilmour got in there like George Lucas and reprocessed the album Obscured By Clouds to sound like one of his warm, overly smoothed solo albums. Stinging lead guitars became syrupy and slushily modulated. Drums become flatter in the musical landscape. I prefer the subtle sand-in-the-Vaseline nature of the original album, as Pink Floyd didn't get to cook it up over months in a top flight studio.

This new Gilmour song sounds like a competent tribute to his early '90s vision of the Pink Floyd sound. It also sounds a bit cluttered to my ears. Too much going on but, weirdly, too little to hold it together. I've listened to it a few times but cannot remember any melody, hook or lyric from it. It just sails past rather too slowly. An old man with a lot of money doing the one thing he knows how to do competently.

ajkula66:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version