Author Topic: New book about Höfner violin basses  (Read 1644 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: New book about Höfner violin basses
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 06:09:30 AM »
Do the finally own up to stealing the EB shape?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 06:31:05 AM »
Haven't read it yet... I'll come back to you!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 09:26:27 AM »
Do the finally own up to stealing the EB shape?

Have they ever denied it?

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 09:37:51 AM »
Hasn't that general design been in use for a few hundred years? Hofners always remind me of student violins

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 09:41:52 AM »
Sure the shape is hundreds of years old, but Uwe's talking about the fact that Gibson made a violin-bodied bass three years before Höfner.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
Sure the shape is hundreds of years old, but Uwe's talking about the fact that Gibson made a violin-bodied bass three years before Höfner.

I'm shocked, shocked that such a thing could occur in the music industry!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 07:59:23 PM »
57 years ago, that's not too long ago for Henry J to sue Höfner.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 04:00:26 AM »
It's not the same shape. Gibson did a violin-ish shape. Höfner refined the idea, and did a scaled-down gamba shape, with the drop shoulders as they should be, very accurate in its proportions. The earliest ones were flatbacks. Calling the 500/1 a "violin bass" is very inaccurate, as the upright bass and viola da gamba are viol family, not violin.

So Gibson's design of a solid violin-like body and painted f-hole was original, but Höfner took a 400 years old hollow body design and scaled it down. With the mortise-and-tenon hide glue neck joint, and even a bass bar running the length of the top, similar to uprights. No soundpost as it's only useful for arco.

If anything, Gibson stole the 500/1 shape... When Epi did the EB1 it was Höfner-shaped. They could replicate the old EB1 shape (and should have), but they chose to do a gamba silhouette and still call it EB1.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:14:20 AM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 05:41:44 AM »
I ordered a copy of the book last week from Amazon. It's apparently 320 pages, so I expect lots of photos and text to read. Should be interesting to see what they've come up with on the history side.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
It's not the same shape. Gibson did a violin-ish shape. Höfner refined the idea, and did a scaled-down gamba shape, with the drop shoulders as they should be, very accurate in its proportions. The earliest ones were flatbacks. Calling the 500/1 a "violin bass" is very inaccurate, as the upright bass and viola da gamba are viol family, not violin.

So Gibson's design of a solid violin-like body and painted f-hole was original, but Höfner took a 400 years old hollow body design and scaled it down. With the mortise-and-tenon hide glue neck joint, and even a bass bar running the length of the top, similar to uprights. No soundpost as it's only useful for arco.

If anything, Gibson stole the 500/1 shape... When Epi did the EB1 it was Höfner-shaped. They could replicate the old EB1 shape (and should have), but they chose to do a gamba silhouette and still call it EB1.

I knew they weren't identical. The concept of a violin-like electric bass was Gibson's first.

OTOH I wasn't aware that the 90s Epi EB1 was Höfner-shaped rather than Gibson EB-shaped.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 12:31:31 PM »

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2013, 05:15:12 AM »
Do they finally own up to stealing the EB shape?
Got the book today. Yes, they do.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 01:15:30 PM »
Well, once the Japanese got into the act, their basses were shaped like everyone's basses!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Thornton Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 08:03:05 AM »
I found it very interesting that Mr. Benker didn't realize that there was a huge demand for early 63 reissue of the 500/1 especially as sales of the modern version of the bass had almost ceased. I guess we have both Richard Harrison and the Japanese who pushed the envelope and opened his eyes to thank for the current reissue of the 500/1 Series basses. I also find it interesting that the "modern 1990's version" of the 500/1 quickly disappeared once the 500/1v63 and 500/1v61 Cavern came back into production as no one was really interested in that version of the bass.

The book is a good read with lots of great photos.

TD
Please keep your eyes open for my stolen 1973 Burgundyglo Rickenbacker 4001 Serial # MD1582. It was stolen in November of 2006. Reward for its return. Thx!