Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving!  (Read 1632 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Thanksgiving!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 01:57:21 AM »
... I wouldn't own one of those sheet-metal imitations; they'll rust out in less than a decade...

Business sussed out years ago that if you make it last they (u/me) won't come back for more...

Hmm... maybe that was Gibson's marketing ploy with the early Thunderbirds...Darn it...! I broke the neck...! I'll have to go buy another one...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 08:06:49 AM »
Business sussed out years ago that if you make it last they (u/me) won't come back for more...

Hmm... maybe that was Gibson's marketing ploy with the early Thunderbirds...Darn it...! I broke the neck...! I'll have to go buy another one...!

And it has been amazingly successful!   :P

I don't have a smoker so I baked a chicken.  :)

A good choice. Still goes well with cranberries and sweet potatoes.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 10:08:05 PM »
A good choice. Still goes well with cranberries and sweet potatoes.

Thanks, but I just can't tolerate the taste of sweet potatoes. Or pumpkin.

The apple pie was excellent though.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 03:40:51 PM »
Thanksgiving doesn't mean much to me anymore.  But I do like the Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals.  It probably sounds like I'm more of a consumer than I really am.  But if I want to buy something, I do like the idea very much of getting from 15% to 30% off or more.  I never found anything off more than 30%, though.  The only bass-related item was the Hofner Shorty bass, but I did get some music CDs, other stuff, etc. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 04:47:40 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 07:37:36 AM »
We had both daughters (age 25 and 26) here for the night before, all day on Thanksgiving, and that night.  That is a treat for us even though they live within 100 miles of us. Thanksgiving is a nice chance for us to get together.

Yesterday I took a day off from work and went skiing with the youngest daughter - great young lady, and I don't get much one-on-one time with her.  it was a great day.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2014, 09:01:21 AM »
The original plan seemed normal.  A bunch of people would go to my aunt's house.  Then she decided to "uninvite" two people, including my sister's best friend.  My sister decided to have an alternate gathering for the outcasts.  I couldn't go to that one either because I'm extremely allergic to her dog.  A good friend from Europe was baffled when I explained all this to her.  She said she thought people were supposed to be nice to each other on Thanksgiving, not rude.  I guess sometimes there is a divergence between theory and practice. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 10:18:27 AM »
The original plan seemed normal.  A bunch of people would go to my aunt's house.  Then she decided to "uninvite" two people, including my sister's best friend.  My sister decided to have an alternate gathering for the outcasts.  I couldn't go to that one either because I'm extremely allergic to her dog.  A good friend from Europe was baffled when I explained all this to her.  She said she thought people were supposed to be nice to each other on Thanksgiving, not rude.  I guess sometimes there is a divergence between theory and practice.

I hear you. Seems like some families almost look for an opportunity to create drama. I don't get it, but I guess I'm fortunate that my family and my wife's are both happy to include people at such events, including boyfriends, girlfriends, etc. My take is that any time I can get my kids home or spend time with my siblings, I'm looking for a way TO make it work, not to make it difficult.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 11:25:30 AM »
I hear you. Seems like some families almost look for an opportunity to create drama. I don't get it, but I guess I'm fortunate that my family and my wife's are both happy to include people at such events, including boyfriends, girlfriends, etc. My take is that any time I can get my kids home or spend time with my siblings, I'm looking for a way TO make it work, not to make it difficult.

A very wise attitude on your part, I might add. 

--Blaise Pascal

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 05:40:40 PM »
I was out of town for Thanksgiving, but it's never too late to wish all of you the best for the holidays.  I'm thankful for this place to hang out in and for being alive 3 years after cancer treatment.  It's a wonderful life, as George once said!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 08:30:53 PM »
I was out of town for Thanksgiving, but it's never too late to wish all of you the best for the holidays.  I'm thankful for this place to hang out in and for being alive 3 years after cancer treatment.  It's a wonderful life, as George once said!

Being alive really is the best thing ever, no doubt.  Also, like John Cougar Mellencamp said..."dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2014, 08:31:58 PM »

Amen!

I have a lot to be thankful for as well.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2014, 09:48:40 PM »

Glad to hear it, Bill...and glad you're here with us.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2014, 05:15:02 PM »
+2
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2014, 06:36:57 PM »
+3!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2014, 08:28:44 PM »
It's hard to believe that 3 years ago this week I spent my birthday in the hospital for the first time.  Just got my checkup blood tests today, all's clear.  I'll never forget the support you guys gave me.  It sure helped my recovery to hang out here.  Amen friends!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!