Author Topic: Spirit sues Led Zep  (Read 5323 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Spirit sues Led Zep
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2014, 05:46:58 PM »
Ok, I confess, I think this song of Led Zep at the end of their career is shit-hot. It defies all expectations, has an intricate and idiosyncratic groove, visits South America, has a lovely effects-drenched solo and is catchy ... And Bonham's drumming is - yes, I'm gonna say it - just astounding on it. Jones does great embellishments on a series of instruments and Plant sings in less than a banshee-key.

If "Whole Lotta Love" was their "Love me Do", then this is their "Penny Lane" or "All You Need Is Love".
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2014, 09:07:07 PM »
I've heard it many times.  It must have been played a lot on American radio. 

Edit:

Looking at the chart history, it seems Canada and the U.S. were the only countries where the song was a hit. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 05:13:20 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2014, 12:44:59 PM »
So I've now listend to the 2014 Remaster of III - the one Led Zep album I know the least and which I have never heard beginning to end as an LP I believe. It's a good remaster by John Davis (there is some debate whether it is identical with the iTunes remaster 2011/12 also by John Davis), not quite as loud and brash as what he did on the 2007 Mothership double CD. I compared a couple of tracks both to the 1990 Remasters by Jimmy Page and the 2007 Mothership John Davis remaster and I find the 2014 offering the most organic sounding, the 1990 stuff was a little too clinical in places, Plant's voice sitting above the music, it's now engulfed by it. The 2007 Mothership stuff was fun to hear for its sheer brashness (sounded like Jimmy page had doubletracked everything anew), but it bordered on being just too loud.

This is now a confident, but not histrionic remaster and the guy who benefits most from it is John Paul Jones. Since his bass playing style is often unobstrusive (compared to Page's many overdubs, Bonham's overloud drums and Plant's banshee wail) and not a constant pulse (lots of space, few repetitions for the listener to latch onto), his bass hasn't been de-relegated to full effect on all tracks (you hear him extremely well on Tangerine, not so well on Since I've Been Loving You, bass frequencies are there, but little focus and attack, perhaps played with the EB-1?), but he is overall much more prominent. HiFi buffs might even call the bass tracks "overcooked" in places, but, hell, this is a bass forum, we don't "overcook" ever!  :mrgreen:

As for the album: It sure is varied, bravely varied, they did not just carbon-copy Led Zep II. Lot's of Americana influence. I didn't even know all the songs.

Only heard two tracks from the "Companion Disc" so far, an alternative mix of "Immigrant Song" where Plant gets all psychedelic towards the end (and Page's tremolo effect guitar much louder) and an instrumental version of "Friends", sound quality of both is excellent. Oh, and Zeppologists will be rapturous that even the "Tangerine"-version on the regular CD now offers a false start of about 6 seconds and a pause of another 8 seconds until the song actually starts as we know it.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2014, 07:32:56 AM »
I don't think there IS any bass guitar on Since I've Been Loving You. Bass pedals and Hammond. Jonesy is a "sit down" keyboardist, so he gets a lot done with his feet. The vocals and drums on that track still give me goosebumps...

III was always an oddball for me too, and I only just bought it/heard it straight through a year or two ago. I love that synth drone at the end of Friends leading into Celebration Day. It's a cool album. It's like they stopped and took a breath before heading into the madness that must have consumed their lives by the time of IV.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2014, 07:46:03 AM »
Now that you say it, that could be it!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2014, 03:11:27 PM »
I was never a great fan but had all the vinyl and the "advantage" of seeing them before Bonzo departed... studio worked for me... live, they missed the mark, imho...

Still glad I saw them, even though it cost me a broken nose...

PG's still my fave LP of theirs...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2014, 01:25:05 PM »
They must have settled - IV Remaster is available for pre-order and I guess leaving off "Foreplay with Evan" wasn't really an option, people do like to play it in guitar stores after all so I've heard.

Houses of the Holy is available as a Remaster too now (in October). Curiously, I always liked that album though it's probably even more "unrock" than III.

I insist it has nothing to do with the naked children on the gatefold!!!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 01:55:00 PM by uwe »