Author Topic: Even the president likes them  (Read 790 times)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Even the president likes them
« on: December 27, 2012, 10:22:23 AM »

Psssst Uwe, eat your HEART out...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Even the president likes them
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 12:06:12 PM »
Even the President (with a capital P, Rob!) likes them ...

even though so many of his countrymen consider him to be a Black Dog ...

What you posted is cute. I like Obama, I like Heart (though better when they are not Lil' Zep, their Ze covers always sound to close to the original, reverential and well-behaved to me) and I like vintage Zep in elder statemen mode much better than the 70ies rock gods. They seem to be genuinely moved by it all and the version is nice though Stairway to Heaven will forever be a cut and paste song to me.

That's young Bonham with his dad's bowler, right? Auch cute.

I like it that Led Zep refused to play themselves. They are very good at preserving their mystique, learned a lot from their late manager in that regard.  

That Obama likes Zep is kind of fitting. He is a traveller between black and white culture worlds and so are Led Zep. DP, lest you forget: the band Ritchie Blackmore played in, were in their Gillan days much more European sounding and classical music based than Zeppelin.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 09:21:14 AM »
Wow this only took one post to disappear into the big black deep purple hole called Ritchie Blackmore! Chapeau Uwe.

I was rather moved by the performance of Ann Wilson and that huge choir...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 09:29:24 AM »
Yeah, I'm getting good at introducing my alter ego, I have to live up to expectations.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 09:40:51 AM »
Ann is definitely at home with that song.  To be honest, I think she knows how to work it better than Plant.  Watching the video, you can see that Page clearly enjoyed it, Jones also looked pleased, but Plant looked like he was analyzing the whole thing.  When she hits the crescendo, you can see Plant choke a little.  I can only think that he was wishing he could still give the song the same kind of justice.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 10:06:34 AM »
Plant has this bemused distance to what he did and what he was with Led Zep. I think that is sincere - it certainly shows in his work - and it is psychologically healthy as well. Wouldn't you hate it to be sitting there and thinking in your sixties/seventies how you would prefer to be still wailing away bare-chested in Madison Square Garden?

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 02:11:54 PM »
Plant has this bemused distance to what he did and what he was with Led Zep. I think that is sincere - it certainly shows in his work - and it is psychologically healthy as well. Wouldn't you hate it to be sitting there and thinking in your sixties/seventies how you would prefer to be still wailing away bare-chested in Madison Square Garden?

To be honest, I don't like going into my past, for many reasons.  I love what I did, but I am not a slave to whatever few minutes of fame I might have gathered.  I know too many musicians in Chicago that have never grown past that.  I don't even have much left in terms of tapes or songs.  I threw most of my old band recordings away, and kept a few MP3 versions of a few songs.  Other than that, my life is based on who I am now, and NOT what I was then.  That's just me, though.

...I really need to proofread my stuff at times...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 02:58:59 PM by gweimer »
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 02:37:13 PM »
The past is only a memory...the future is only a fantasy.

The only thing that's real is NOW.