Author Topic: Captured the elusive Gretsch 1222  (Read 4784 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Captured the elusive Gretsch 1222
« on: July 01, 2011, 09:22:51 PM »
I've been watching Ebay for one of these for months - figuring that if the single pickup model (2202) is a really good one, two pickups should be even better!  They are very hard to find, and this one looks to be in good condition.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280700405165&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Price is on the top end of what I wanted to pay, but it's one heck of a value.  If I like it a lot, I'll probably keep it and sell my 2202:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Captured the elusive Gretsch 1222
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 09:24:37 PM »
(Duplicate content deleted)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 11:47:03 PM »
That single pickup looks like it's in the perfect spot.  I'd imagine you wouldn't even need the 2nd one.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 05:55:14 AM »
It is indeed!  That 2202 single-pickup is one of the most powerful sounding basses I own.  I just am very curious about the double-pickup model, and they are darn hard to find.  This is the second one I've seen on Ebay in more than a year, and it was much more affordable than the other one.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 12:40:40 PM »
Arrived last night, but seems to have a problem with the output jack...haven't been able to keep good contact long enough to get an impression.  The body and finish are beautiful - it's in excellent condition and the neck looks good.  I'll try to get it up and running before I hop a plane for a professional meeting on Sunday AM.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 04:59:55 AM »
I've never seen one of those before. Looks very nice Al.
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 04:38:22 PM »
Nice... When's she getting a debut with the 'Winds...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 07:14:46 AM »
Nice... When's she getting a debut with the 'Winds...?

It has been six weeks since we could even practice!  Two of the four are doing so many gigs with other bands that we're on hiatus until August.  But I still have visions of playing in our Oldtown Square before it gets too cold...here's the stage.  On any weekend there are hundreds of people around it in the square.

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 10:24:40 AM »
Looks good. There's a single pickup one of these on UK Ebay, 140GBP BIN. I've had it on watch - just not completely convinced I need a short scale bass. I had it in my head they're made in China, but the 1222 auction says made in Korea. Not that it matters.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 02:31:48 PM »
You may want to see which of mine I sell. Not sure yet...or what shipping would be. Might be cheaper to get the UK one.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 03:02:38 AM »
Looks good. There's a single pickup one of these on UK Ebay, 140GBP BIN. I've had it on watch - just not completely convinced I need a short scale bass. I had it in my head they're made in China, but the 1222 auction says made in Korea. Not that it matters.

The recent single PUP version is the G2202, made in China. The G1222 and its single PUP counterpart ( the G1212 IIRC ) were made in Korea, so the 2 PUP version was discontinued when production was shifted to China and the single PUP version got another production number.
Experience is the ultimate teacher

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 05:36:35 AM »
The recent single PUP version is the G2202, made in China. The G1222 and its single PUP counterpart ( the G1212 IIRC ) were made in Korea, so the 2 PUP version was discontinued when production was shifted to China and the single PUP version got another production number.

That's useful, thanks. It is likely an MIK one would be better in any sense?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 01:05:01 PM »
I don't know - MIK basses that I've laid hands on are always pretty well put together. I have looked at both now, and I can't tell any difference in the quality of build.   Interestingly enough, the single pickup model actually has a bit more output, but it's not a big difference.  Maybe the placement? It's no more than 2" different in location on the 1222.

My 1222 Is here - some photos!  Note the black-to-grey fade on the center of the body....

« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 04:58:46 PM by Pilgrim »

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2011, 12:05:09 AM »
Funny to see that, even in the few years it has been made, they've changed both the way in which the neck is bolted as well as the fin on the back of the neck ....... This is a pic of my ex 1222......

Experience is the ultimate teacher

shadowcastaz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2011, 07:03:39 AM »
I have an electromatic neck or 2 somewhere if someone is interested.
It takes a very deep-rooted opinion to survive unexpressed