Author Topic: Phantom Teardrop bass FS  (Read 7903 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Phantom Teardrop bass FS
« on: June 25, 2011, 09:57:31 AM »
Here's one you don't see every day.  I don't know the history of the Phantom re-issues, but it sure looks nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Phantom-Hollow-Body-Teardrop-Bass-Guitar-Short-Scale-/250843893985?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a677610e1
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: Phantom Teardrop bass FS
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:13:46 PM »
Phantom Guitars was started by, and I guess still owned by the Guitar player from 80's band QuarterFlash.  He owns the trademark on the Phantom name, including the typeface...even though he didn't design it or originate it.  By the time he filed, no one cared, it had been abandoned.   Ditto the phantom body shape, again didn't design or originate it but the PTO doesn't care. 

He builds his versions of Vox guitars and basses.  Basses are 32.5 scale.  Teardrop lists for $899.  At one time I was considering doing a replica of my Brit Phantom IV and searched the trademark when I was in China.
http://www.phantomguitars.com/teardrop.html

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »
Ronn (leftybass) owns some Phantoms.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 07:08:52 AM »
I own some original Vox teardrops. Played a Vox teardrop bass as my main bass when I first started playing.

These reissues are nice in that they keep the same vibe as the original but modernize it with a wider fingerboard, longer scale, better tuners/pups...yet it still looks pretty close to a 60s one.

My band actually shot a music video in the 80s and all three of us are playing 60s Vox teardrops. I only have the 1-inch master copy at the moment (unedited.) I have no way to re-edit/post it at the moment. Cool video.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:17:06 AM »
I used to own an early Phantom Teardrop bass in black.  The scale was a nice size, I think, and the neck felt very Fender-ish.  All in all, it was somewhat mediocre, just OK I guess.  Also had one of the Brian Jones model six-strings - same comments apply.  BUT, I bought the bass for less than $300 and the sixer for $299 + shipping BRAND NEW.  I can't believe how pricey these Phantoms have gotten.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 10:13:21 AM »
I used to own an early Phantom Teardrop bass in black.  The scale was a nice size, I think, and the neck felt very Fender-ish.  All in all, it was somewhat mediocre, just OK I guess.  Also had one of the Brian Jones model six-strings - same comments apply.  BUT, I bought the bass for less than $300 and the sixer for $299 + shipping BRAND NEW.  I can't believe how pricey these Phantoms have gotten.

VOX made Phantoms, and they made Teardrops, but NEVER a 'Phantom Teardrop.'

This is my VOX British made one before they moved production to EKO in Italy to actually try to make a profit and totally F***ed them up IMO.  Flame maple 1-3/4" wide 'baseball bat' with ebony fretboard, 2 very Fenderish P single coils.  No neck dive, unlike the EKOs which were made of Luan and had huge amounts taken out of the body and that 'pad' covering up a big hole.  Also no shrinkage on the Brit pick guard, it's just shy of 1/8" inch thick.  I just scored a mint bridge cover on EBay.

There's a reason the Brit made ones are getting expensive.

Phantom Guitar Works makes both a 'phantom' and a 'teardrop'.  This one cost me less than today's HB teardrop list price in '06.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 11:48:54 AM »

The Limited Edition section of Phantom's website shows that the same bass as in the auction can be bought new for $899. Not as cheap as $299, but it does mean that the one in the auction is priced higher than new.

VOX made Phantoms, and they made Teardrops, but NEVER a 'Phantom Teardrop.'

Phantom Guitar Works makes both a 'phantom' and a 'teardrop'.  This one cost me less than today's HB teardrop list price in '06.

The Teardrop from Phantom Guitarworks does have the Phantom brand name on the headstock. That makes it a Phantom Teardrop. Not to be confused with a Phantom Phantom.  :)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 12:20:59 PM »
The Limited Edition section of Phantom's website shows that the same bass as in the auction can be bought new for $899. Not as cheap as $299, but it does mean that the one in the auction is priced higher than new.

The Teardrop from Phantom Guitarworks does have the Phantom brand name on the headstock. That makes it a Phantom Teardrop. Not to be confused with a Phantom Phantom.  :)

I just realized I misunderstood Frankie, sorry.  MY Phantom has the Phantom (original die cut stick on) on the headstock and VOX on the pickguard, the reverse of the EKO ones.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »
I own some original Vox teardrops. Played a Vox teardrop bass as my main bass when I first started playing.

These reissues are nice in that they keep the same vibe as the original but modernize it with a wider fingerboard, longer scale, better tuners/pups...yet it still looks pretty close to a 60s one.

My band actually shot a music video in the 80s and all three of us are playing 60s Vox teardrops. I only have the 1-inch master copy at the moment (unedited.) I have no way to re-edit/post it at the moment. Cool video.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

My Vox Mark IV taught me how to play, and that's the only good thing I can say about it.  It was a truly awful bass with a neck like a Louisville Slugger.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 12:34:43 PM »

My Vox Mark IV taught me how to play, and that's the only good thing I can say about it.  It was a truly awful bass with a neck like a Louisville Slugger.

My Vox violin bass had tone like hitting a wet cardboard box.

It was one of the EKO-made ones. The English ones sounded like a better grade of cardboard.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »

The neck on mine is pretty much the same profile as my '55 P, which I didn't miss until it was gone.  It is substantial but plays easy.

It was one of the EKO-made ones. The English ones sounded like a better grade of cardboard.

Definitely not EKO pickups, I also had one of their Phantom IVs.  These are properly spaced to the string spread.

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 01:46:43 PM »
I just realized I misunderstood Frankie, sorry.  MY Phantom has the Phantom (original die cut stick on) on the headstock and VOX on the pickguard, the reverse of the EKO ones.

Dave already explained it, but yes, it was a "Phantom Guitar Works" Teardrop bass, not an actual Vox.  Not a bad instrument, but definitely not a great one either.  I've never owned an actual Vox bass guitar, even though the Stones were one of my earliest and biggest influences.  Fang rocked that Phantom pretty good too (among others).  I do have a Vox Mk. VI teardrop, but it's still in the project stage (& has been since I've owned it - about 6 years :-[).  Brian Jones certainly looked badass with that white teardrop, Johnny Thunders too. 8)

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 01:55:34 PM »

Well....mine was (is) a Italian made teardrop Constellation IV hollowbody. Despite the short-scale pencil thin neck, I have always loved that bass.

I DID swap out the PUPS for an early pair of Model 1's, which turned it into a killer sounding bass. I did have to be careful about how close I was to my amp and how loud, so I didn't feedback. But I actually had a few controlled feedback bass parts I used because of it.

I have a couple studio recording from back them using that bass thru a SUNN 200S that you would never guess were done with a Vox.

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 04:13:38 PM »
I've got this great old Vox Mark VI special - one of the later UK ones - and with built in effects (Fuzz, repeat, and various boosts). Robert Smith out of the Cure played one briefly.

Sounds amazing too - not the most easy to play sitting around at home though - thats the only downside

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 05:34:16 PM »
The day Steve "ThunderBucker" Soar and I got our Phantoms.  Circa 1974, Tampa, Florida