Author Topic: Gretsch GAS strikes!  (Read 10882 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Gretsch GAS strikes!
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2010, 08:57:30 PM »
doesn't show up on the gc website.  I guess i will have to take a ride......

That's the whole stealth thing about this bass - it was NOT advertised other than on a flyer of some sort, nor is it shown on their website.  It was mostly a walk-in, find it hanging there deal.

A few quys have managed to get their local GC to bring one in, which is what gave me the idea.

Here's a thread discussing this:  http://gretschpages.com/forum/bass-ment/scooped/35555/page1/

The best action is to visit your GC - or call them if you can't get there - and have them look up the Gretsch G5123B in their inventory records.  They can check inventories across the US.  Ask if they can get one from a store that has it.  A second shipment of 90+ basses went out to metro area GC stores in late December, so you have a shot at getting one.  I paid $9 for the re-shipment from a store in Denver 60 miles away.  

It took a while for anyone to discover what the model number is, but you can see it in the photo I posted above showing the label inside the body.

Not every store gets one - the Denver store we worked with was supposed to get two and only got one.  If you want one, act fast.  When I checked this on December 23, there were only 16 of the first shipment in stock across the US - presumably all floor models - and they found that about 94 were in transit as a second shipment.  All of those should have reached stores by now.  You might still get one in the box.

I do have a suspicion that Gretsch may add this model to their lineup if the demand is high.  They've done a similar thing with an Electromatic guitar model in recent years.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 09:42:49 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 03:48:03 PM »
I just got back from a shopping trip to find a case. I found two that fit, one better than the other.

First, TKL makes a standard hard case that retails at $149. It does fit but the interior cavity is about 2" deeper than the bass, so if you go this route you'll need to fold a blanket or add foam in the case to fill out the extra space. I believe the model is a TKL Premier 17. This is a fairly heavy case, and its balance is such that it carries tilted neck-upward.

Second, and a better fit, Road Runner makes a molded hard case that sells for $109 and is a better fit. The strap button on the top bout hits the interior foam, but it won't take much massaging to compress the foam at that spot so there's no interference. I found this case at Guitar Center. It's lighter than the TKL and balances better.

I can't find the Road Runner case anywhere on the GC website, but the data on the tag says:

Roadrunner RRMBA 17 ABS Molded Acous Bass GTR case

UPC code on the tag is: 6 56238 01 527 1.

Pix:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 04:04:25 PM »
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2010, 05:17:20 AM »
:mrgreen: with envy... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2010, 12:31:45 PM »
Wow!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2011, 08:28:52 AM »
If I have money again I'll try to find one!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »
There's one at my local GC. While it plays, looks, and feels magnificent, there's something wrong with its electronics. The output was extremely low and the tone very phasey and thin sounding. The tone knobs did nothing at all and the volume knobs acted like both pickups were wired in series. Killing either volume muted the output completely regardless of selector switch position. It is quite the looker, but I'm not buying a bass in that condition at a place I don't trust to fix it. I could easily repair it myself as long as the pickups are OK, but not for full price, limited edition or no.

It also took me over half an hour of HOLDING two bass cases on clearance just to damn buy them! There were about ten employees walking around doing nothing who evidently couldn't operate a register. If the cases hadn't been such a killer deal, I would have walked. I ended up getting them at the pro audio counter from the one guy in the store who appeared to actually do anything, and of course, was swamped with phone calls and other customers. It was amusing to watch him turn down buying a non-functional dbx 266 compressor with the serial numbers scratched out from a couple of gangsta wannabes, though. They wanted the $30 he offered them if it worked pretty badly. I wouldn't have dealt with them at all.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 07:40:58 PM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2011, 08:07:45 PM »
Sorry to hear that the Gretsch has problems.  I wonder if it would be worth asking them to fix it for you?

It also sounds like they have some pretty useless employees there.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2011, 09:13:10 PM »

It also took me over half an hour of HOLDING two bass cases on clearance just to damn buy them! There were about ten employees walking around doing nothing who evidently couldn't operate a register. If the cases hadn't been such a killer deal, I would have walked. I ended up getting them at the pro audio counter from the one guy in the store who appeared to actually do anything, and of course, was swamped with phone calls and other customers.

Sounds like the large musical retailer in the city here. Floor staff are rock star wannabe's with little or no experience and NFI, getting paid minimum wages to sell Fenders, Grestch's and Gibsons.  :rolleyes:  Care factor and customer service is in perfect balance with their attitude and pay.
Digresion our specialty!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2011, 12:53:09 AM »
I wonder if it would be worth asking them to fix it for you?

I know the guy who does repairs there very well. We're loose friends... but he doesn't do "store" work (strictly independent contractor) and he would be, by far, the most qualified to fix it, and I have zero faith he could. On the plus side, he's a helluva guitar player and used to play in .38 Special, no bullshit. Also as a plus, if you ever want to have an entertaining half hour, ask him about women.

Besides, I don't need, or truthfully, even want another bass. The only reason I bought the SX, my latest bass, was that it was so cheap. I have yet to even give it a proper setup.

It also sounds like they have some pretty useless employees there.

That's a serious understatement.  It seems that every time I'm in there, the place gets worse. The only cure is for me to stop going. I was only in there today looking for PA gear for friend of mine.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 01:09:12 AM by Psycho Bass Guy »

Hornisse

« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2011, 10:28:13 AM »

Caught Neon Trees on Conan last night.  Cool White Falcon (?) bass!

Great shot of it at 2:47.

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2011, 11:13:32 AM »
Possibly the only bass ever to inspire me to verse. Perhaps fortunately.

Higgledy piggledy Gretsch 5-1-2-3B
Bright orange bass from peg head to tail
Electromaticly Antiscorbuticly
Cures all your G.A.S. with a 30" scale

Which, like all great literature, requires a gloss:
  For "Higgledy piggledy" see: double dactyl http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_dactyl
  For antiscorbutic see scurvey  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:31:23 AM by Bargeon »
Dyslexics untie!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2011, 11:38:04 AM »
Note : 32 inch scale.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2011, 11:41:36 AM »

Even Better!  Luckily I despise GC and the nearest one is 90 miles away.  Otherwise I'd be sorely tempted.

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2011, 11:44:59 AM »

Everybody's a critic!  ;D

Measuring from the bridge or the tail piece?
Dyslexics untie!