Author Topic: Gretsch GAS strikes!  (Read 10881 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Gretsch GAS strikes!
« on: December 20, 2010, 03:59:45 PM »
Just what I didn't need - but I did it anyway.

There has been discussion on both TB and the Gretsch pages of a new hollowbody addition to the Electromatic line, the 3125B.  Evidently it's a special issue to Guitar Center and was rolled out on Black Friday to a limited number of stores, one per store.  

Here's a post from the Gretsch pages:

These basses were created just for Guitar Center's promo sale and, so far, do not represent a new model that we will see in wider release. There were very, very few made and they only went out to a handful of stores, so the odds of us getting the serials, some pics, and the information up on the site might not be terribly good. The model number is confirmed as G5123B by a friend who should be receiving one of the limited run any day now. I'll post whatever else I can find out when it arrives.

Here's a photo and link to the description...including dual Thundertrons at a price point of $799:

http://gretschpages.com/guitars/models/examples/993/  (The gent who wrote up the description of his bass evidently doesn't know how to measure scale length, but most posts agree it's roughly 30" scale.)

I ran down to the local GC today, walked in with the model # and asked if they could find me one. They fired up the computer, which showed about 16 in stock at various stores, but they ALSO showed that 94 had just been shipped and were in transit. It appears that perhaps there will be at least a partial second round of stock on these.

I told them if they could get me one, I'd buy it. They called a store in the major city nearby that shows one on the truck that should arrive Thursday...and they're willing to send it up here. I'm expecting a call Thursday confirming that they can get one for me, new in the box. If not, I'll go after one of the ones in stock at other stores - which presumably have been floor models.

I know this is not a bass I need, but it's the one bass I WANT.  And with the dual Thundertrons - usually found only in the higher-priced lines - it seems like a great value.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 05:57:45 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: Gretsch GAS strikes!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 04:18:25 PM »
Congrats .   that is a beauty.    I have never been a hollowbody type guy but i have been yearning for a gretsch type bass the last few months.  this is bad/good.....  GAS pains   I must resist
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 04:37:09 PM »

That is a very cool bass!

Been thinking lately that a Hollowbody would be something fun to add to my collection - I *thought* I had it all figured out too - Epi J.C., then you show me this gorgeous orange creature  :P
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 05:55:12 PM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Chaser001

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 04:58:42 PM »
Very appealing and the price is good.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 05:22:33 PM »

That is a very cool bass!

Been thinking lately that a Hollowbody would be something fun to add to my collection - I *thought* I had it all figured out too - Epi J.C., then you show me this gougeous orange creature  :P

Well, I may be able to give a better opinion soon, as I already have a Casady and it's an excellent bass.  Pretty big body on the Casady, though!  I saw some photos from a gig we played where I used it, and I was surprised at how large it appeared to be - maybe it was just the gold finish reflecting light.

You just might find a GC in your area - I'll bet that the Seattle stores would have one to trade with them.

I'm generally not a fan of orange, but that Gretsch color grabbed me the first time I ever saw it.  There's something extremely RIGHT about that color on a hollowbody.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 08:52:51 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 06:23:55 PM »
Pretty! I hope it sounds and plays as good as it looks.

It looks like the former 6119B Broadkaster Bass, which was listed at 30 1/2" scale.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 12:01:33 AM »
Very nice. Bargain at that price.
Digresion our specialty!

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 06:22:53 AM »
It looks like the former 6119B Broadkaster Bass, which was listed at 30 1/2" scale.

By the looks of it the Broadkaster has a larger body ...... just look at the F-holes in comparison to the body size .......
Experience is the ultimate teacher

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 07:43:02 AM »
That gives me GAS pains just looking at it ...... sigh
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 08:19:06 AM »
By the looks of it the Broadkaster has a larger body ...... just look at the F-holes in comparison to the body size .......

Right. I meant it looks like it, not that it was identical. The Broadkaster Bass was one of the expensive Japanese Gretsches. This new one is from the more affordable Electromatic and the body looks easier to handle too.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 10:25:30 AM »
Even my wife understands this one...dang, they're pretty.

I just sold the Hi-Flyer on TB and have a good bite on the Dano.  I also have an original JBL D130F speaker I'm going to list today.  It came to me in 1967 in a 2x15 Fender cab which I sold last year, but I kept the speaker because it was worth more than the cab with the other speaker in it.  Still works like charm!  Funding the for Gretsch is definitely coming right along.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 03:59:30 PM »
Gorgeous! Congrats!

JBLs are gooood. I know, I used to work there!!!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 04:37:08 PM »
(envy from the shed...) 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 11:05:22 AM »
This new one is from the more affordable Electromatic and the body looks easier to handle too.

So they've finally released another Electromatic bass. About time I'd say, but I'll be waiting for something more Thunderjetish .......  8)
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 01:02:07 PM »
So they've finally released another Electromatic bass. About time I'd say, but I'll be waiting for something more Thunderjetish .......  8)

Now I could really go for an Electromatic version of the Thunderjet. In black, of course.