Author Topic: JB Player fake P/J bass (w/pix)  (Read 3502 times)

daan

• View Profile
JB Player fake P/J bass (w/pix)
« on: June 01, 2010, 10:01:06 PM »
Anyone else ever seen one of these? I got this at a used store years and years ago, mostly because I already had a couple JBP guitars, and liked those, that and my Hofner was still in 1000 pieces and I needed something to play.  This one's a neck-thru P-bass copy, with EMG Select pickups. It sounds pretty close to a "real" P bass, isn't much heavier and has that cool 80's hair-metal vibe (well as much as it could have without being pointy) Anyway here's a couple pix:

cool neck joint:

I figure someone on here may have seen (or at least heard of) these things before. I'm not trying to sell or get a value (I paid $100 for it), I just want any info I could find. Thanks in advance!
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: JB Player fake P/J bass (w/pix)
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 10:18:12 PM »
I've never seen one before, your right though the neck thru looks cool.

Kinda like my cargill Custom which is more styled on a Musicman but has the same effect.

Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:28:30 AM »
It's that same profile again...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hornisse

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 02:50:24 PM »
I'd never seen a neck thru one before.  I've had a few of the regular P bass copies and one PJ copy.  Very nice basses for the money.  South Austin Music used to sell them in the late 80's. (as well as their guitars)  This one was also active/passive.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 04:55:15 PM »
I've never seen the neck thru's before, just the bolt on. Looks like a cool bass!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 11:08:38 PM »
I bought it thinking I'd "mod" it, or at least strip off the paint to see what's underneath but haven't done anything other than strings, it does everything I need it to do just as it is.  Since I got it I've seen pix of their guitars that were neck-thru, but never a bass.
If it was good enough for Danny Bonaduce, it ought to be good enough for fake bass players everywhere!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 07:57:30 AM »
you may not want to see what is underneath.  chance it could be plywood type body.
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

daan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 09:59:46 PM »
I was afraid of it being plywood. Both of my JB guitars are heavier than  comparable S-types, but those had goofy locking tremolos that weighed a couple pounds each... the last time I was at the music store with my bass I held up mine and a "real" P bass (a US one, I know Squiers can be plywood) they seemed to weigh about the same.  I suppose anything's possible though. Oh and thanks Hornisse for posting the pic of the white bass, I was thinking of refinishing mine in that color, now I have an idea of what it'd look like.