Author Topic: New for 2021  (Read 12326 times)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: New for 2021
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2021, 03:01:47 AM »
I know Scott and Rob already knew, but it's official. A new Gibson bass with chrome!

Non-reverse Thunderbird Bass, features and a long-scale 34-inch set neck, with improved balance, available in original colors including Inverness Green, Sparking Burgundy, and Pelham Blue.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2021, 03:12:43 AM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2021, 04:35:36 AM »
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

All you kromie kreeps and "Gibson Originalists", I salute you, your prayers have finally been heard!

Ok, now you can start whining how they gave it a three-point ...  ;D
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2021, 05:31:16 AM »
   Thanks for posting Chris! I already pre odered one from House of Guitars and I will have a full review once it's in my hands. MAP I am told is around $1,800.00. Yes well the Three point,  I'll deal with it later.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2021, 05:47:31 AM »
I know someone who makes bridges....

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #170 on: January 21, 2021, 06:17:26 AM »
Great, now just to win the lotto.  TBH kinda wish it was an Epi, a la the vintage pro (bridge and price, no dis to the 3 point, I'm a fan, but cooler and more vintage correct is is cooler and more vintage correct; I'm old enough not to care that much about the name on the headstock), but for some reason Gibson seems to think it's necessary to keep non-rev's exclusive (even the Firebirds).  Also I think they learned a lesson from the Bonamassa sig Firebird (70% of folks just swap out the TRC for a Gibson one, not to fool a buyer, cuz it's obvious, but cuz midlife crisis... to that end, notice where they put the logo on this thing, eh) .... and they already have a budget priced vintage correct TBird in the Epi line so fair enuf.  Just means I'm still dreamin.  Even Bach birds go for well over 1k used.  Totally missed the boat on those at the time, when I coulda spared the cash.

Anybody know if they're doing a matching Firebird?  Not that I suppose it matters, but I have been gassing for one (even the lawsuit copies are so dang expensive these days, nevermind that sweet doghair white 3xP90 Japan-only one from a few years ago) and I wonder if they figured out that there are people who would want the matching set, especially with the 60s custom colours.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 06:23:13 AM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #171 on: January 21, 2021, 07:09:54 AM »
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

All you kromie kreeps and "Gibson Originalists", I salute you, your prayers have finally been heard!

Ok, now you can start whining how they gave it a three-point ...  ;D

Let me know if you want one, I'm at it today.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2021, 07:11:39 AM »
So what's under that chrome? TB+?  or some other domestic version of the original Thunderbird pickup? I'm guessing they wouldn't use the Epiphone pro bucker in a Gibson branded instrument would they? Also, what does this have to do with Epi dropping the EB-3 and EB-0?
The colors are nice and the matching head stocks are a nice touch but are these any different from the last NR run otherwise? Look forward to your review Scott.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #173 on: January 21, 2021, 07:28:46 AM »
Why did they opt for the three point bridge?
They could ave easily chosen the Epi wide travel two point bridge plus tailstop. Or Scott's Badbird bridge set.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 21, 2021, 07:33:00 AM »
In a very selfish way, I'm happy about the 3-point bridge because of what I went through to the get the 2013 RNR made.  The 2-point would've tempted me.

I'm looking forward to hearing if the neck is thicker like the 2013 and what pickups those are.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 21, 2021, 08:43:45 AM »

I'm looking forward to hearing if the neck is thicker like the 2013

I certainly hope not.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #176 on: January 21, 2021, 08:51:49 AM »
Wow, that GREEN!  :mrgreen: Beautiful, but I got my non-rev ya-yas out with a Bach several years ago (sold it).

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #177 on: January 21, 2021, 09:13:01 AM »
They had the chance to surpass the BaCHbird.
But they missed that chance  :mrgreen:

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 21, 2021, 09:20:22 AM »
Well, look, if the MAP is under $1800 I'll probably plunk down for one, but why on God's green earth do they insist on these half-assed vintage "reissues"? The pickup placement is not vintage spec, the pickguard is bigger, obviously the 3 point, and what is their fetish for the incorrect knob placement? Maybe, given the hints Rex Brown dropped, there will be this more "updated" version, and then some more accurate Vintage version? It's just they get so and then whiff such easy details.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 21, 2021, 11:09:18 AM »
I certainly hope not.

+1.

Sparkling Burgundy would be my pick. Not happy about The Oil Rig though.

Will probably wait for ~9 months for ZZ Sound and others to start offering them at some serious discount... :mrgreen:
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)