Author Topic: New for 2021  (Read 12331 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New for 2021
« Reply #150 on: January 19, 2021, 12:15:06 AM »
I could only listen to three minutes of this mutual praisefest before giving up.

D.M.N.

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2021, 12:42:26 AM »
   I have some none Gene news. I've seen pictures but I have been sworn to secrecy. I spoke with my source today and I still have to be quite hopefully soon.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2021, 01:55:45 AM »
I could only listen to three minutes of this mutual praisefest before giving up.

Not bad paying attention to this for three minutes :bored:

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2021, 03:25:45 AM »
The NAMM news drops in now, so more to follow indeed.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #154 on: January 19, 2021, 08:40:16 AM »
I'm surprised the G2 line doesn't include a modified Les Paul DC bass.  ???

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 19, 2021, 08:46:10 AM »

I gave up at 54 seconds.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2021, 09:12:15 AM »
I saw the Gene thing as more of an old man rambling.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 19, 2021, 10:13:16 AM »
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 19, 2021, 06:55:54 PM »
Uhum, if I may stick my tongue out a little here:

Never judge an edited interview by the first few minutes. If you had spent a little more time and waited for the praisefest to subside, you would have heard some interesting things about fitting in the bass sound with Kiss, low frequencies and large halls, Spector basses, The Rolling Stones and Albert King inspiring Kiss songs, Les Paul's arm (I didn't know) and even Robert Frost (= not a Kiss member). You even learn something about major and minor, in case you didn't know (obviously, the vid tries to be inclusive with guitarists as well which I find commendable AND brave).

But some people are so captivated with Gene's outward loudmouth image to the exclusion of all else that he could be holding a Mahatma Gandhi speech and an Albert Einstein lecture at the same time, it would still be crap to you. To quote my wife after I made her sit through a Kiss compilation recently: "That was all KISS?! I didn't know they had that many good songs too!"

I will buy the GS Flying V just to offend you all! You vill liff to regret zis ...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 07:14:18 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 20, 2021, 02:37:20 AM »
Good grief... I just realised, it's nearly 42 years since I bought my last new Gibson bass... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 20, 2021, 06:30:52 AM »
I saw the Gene thing as more of an old man rambling.
Same here.  I thought he had ear flaps on his hat at first.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2021, 07:20:06 AM »
Same here.  I thought he had ear flaps on his hat at first.

Yeah, but at least the ear flaps probably shoot flames or something.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #162 on: January 20, 2021, 09:49:15 AM »

Never judge an edited interview by the first few minutes. If you had spent a little more time and waited for the praisefest to subside, you would have heard some interesting things about fitting in the bass sound with Kiss, low frequencies and large halls, Spector basses, The Rolling Stones and Albert King inspiring Kiss songs, Les Paul's arm (I didn't know) and even Robert Frost (= not a Kiss member). You even learn something about major and minor, in case you didn't know (obviously, the vid tries to be inclusive with guitarists as well which I find commendable AND brave).

But some people are so captivated with Gene's outward loudmouth image to the exclusion of all else that he could be holding a Mahatma Gandhi speech and an Albert Einstein lecture at the same time, it would still be crap to you. To quote my wife after I made her sit through a Kiss compilation recently: "That was all KISS?! I didn't know they had that many good songs too!"

I will buy the GS Flying V just to offend you all! You vill liff to regret zis ...

This^^^  8)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 20, 2021, 10:47:10 AM »

Gene has spent decades crafting a public image of himself as a clown who's only in it for the money. He's a reasonably intelligent man but there's nothing that would make me interested in what a clown has to say. That doesn't mean it's crap, but I don't consider any of his ramblings worth my time. If you found it beneficial, that's okay by me.

We'll see how many KISS fans will support this whole line. I have my doubts.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 20, 2021, 12:05:18 PM »
I've said it before, while Ted Nugent's inane-ness makes me speechless, I'd invite Gene to dinner in a heartbeat, not because I agree with/approve of anything he says or does, but because he's spirited company. Bring on the clowns, we all know how they sometimes see and say things forever hidden to those people obsessed with being taken serious all the time.

I'm no Kiss Army grunt, but I always liked his make-up, his tongue, his late-60ies-style of bass playing so untypical of most modern hard rock, his gruff non-singer's voice, his deadpan humour, his self-deprecating reduction of all things KISS including himself to issues of money (some Auschwitz-survivor's kid's psychology in there: wealth can save your life) and his mild, never intimidating bad boy image. It's a Vaudeville/Hollywood package, but an agreeable one to me. As an NME-writer once stated: "How else are you gonna promote a band that wears leather batwings on stage?!"

« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 12:15:55 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...