Author Topic: New Doublecut Junior Tribute Bass update  (Read 26225 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New Doublecut Junior Tribute Bass update
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2019, 08:25:59 PM »
The 19' Juniors share the same body and have the same neck pickup route under the pickguard as the specials. See just after 9:45 here for the current guitars routing.

Wonder what's hiding under the pickguards of the basses? Trogly will be reviewing the bass too. should be interesting.

Thanks for pointing us to the exact time. I can only take about 10 seconds of Trogly's voice before hitting mute. Plus he could reduce the time of his videos by 90-95% and still say the same thing.

Also, it's not called a 2019, Gibson has dropped the year on all new models.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2019, 11:40:13 PM »
Trogly just put up a review of the DC Junior Bass. It's over 18 minutes, which in his case would typically be 16-17 minutes too long. I won't be watching it but feel free to watch and summarize.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2019, 02:11:03 AM »
Trogly just put up a review of the DC Junior Bass. It's over 18 minutes, which in his case would typically be 16-17 minutes too long. I won't be watching it but feel free to watch and summarize.

He also has the reviewed bass listed on Reverb... :rolleyes:
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2019, 07:18:55 AM »
Gibson mounted the pickup upside down in the casing. See after 9:15. Also the pickup seems to resemble a DeCola more than a TB+. No big holes near the neck tenon but not the prettiest looking joining either. Pick guard comes off after 8:30 and your welcome Dave.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2019, 08:42:20 AM »
Yeah, that's no TB+.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2019, 01:36:50 PM »
He also has the reviewed bass listed on Reverb... :rolleyes:

Aren't all his videos about guitars he has for sale? He has (or had) some kind of mission statement on the home page of his Reverb shop about how he started this to educate buyers b/c he was frustrated with sellers who don't give enough information. He sounds like he would be a nightmare for a seller to deal with.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2019, 01:52:40 PM »
Gibson mounted the pickup upside down in the casing. See after 9:15. Also the pickup seems to resemble a DeCola more than a TB+. No big holes near the neck tenon but not the prettiest looking joining either. Pick guard comes off after 8:30 and your welcome Dave.

Yeah, that's no TB+.

The neck tenon is fine. Most or all of the pics I've seen of Junior neck tenons leave space between the end of the tenon and the end of the pocket.

That pickup is definitely a neck position DeCola EB Bass pickup. It's upside down compared to an EB Bass but I'm almost sure that was deliberate. The big alnico polepieces will cover the field with no dropout but they're wider than the string spacing and would look misaligned.

Again, thanks for posting the right time. I can't believe I listened to him blather for a couple of minutes. He went on and on about the pickup screws and foam. Can you imagine working for him and having to listen to him in an hour-long staff meeting? I'd probably throw myself out a window to escape.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2019, 10:53:19 AM »
Can you imagine working for him and having to listen to him in an hour-long staff meeting? I'd probably throw myself out a window to escape.

:mrgreen:

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2019, 10:54:42 AM »
I've actually endured about 4 or 5 of his videos and I consider that quite an achievement.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2019, 12:13:29 PM »
Looks good and sounds very good. What more can you ask for in a bass.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2019, 09:36:34 AM »
Seems like every thread I've seen at TB and elsewhere, somebody says they'd buy one if only Gibson offered it in TV Yellow, or just complains that it's not available in TV Yellow. I'm not going to respond anywhere else, but I can mini-rant here.  :)

1. These are based on the DC Junior Tribute guitars introduced last fall. They don't come in TV Yellow. They're selling like hotcakes anyway.

2. The original 59/60 DC EB-0 only came in cherry.

3. The original limed mahogany finish was NOT called TV Yellow. It was a separate version of the Junior called the TV Model. And nothing Gibson has produced in the last few decades as TV Yellow looks anything like the originals anyway, even the Custom Shop VOS models. If you've seen an original up close, you know what I mean.

So there.  :P

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2019, 10:09:42 AM »

The guy reminds me of Blippi.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2019, 12:30:24 PM »
Seems like every thread I've seen at TB and elsewhere, somebody says they'd buy one if only Gibson offered it in TV Yellow, or just complains that it's not available in TV Yellow. I'm not going to respond anywhere else, but I can mini-rant here.  :)

1. These are based on the DC Junior Tribute guitars introduced last fall. They don't come in TV Yellow. They're selling like hotcakes anyway.

2. The original 59/60 DC EB-0 only came in cherry.

3. The original limed mahogany finish was NOT called TV Yellow. It was a separate version of the Junior called the TV Model. And nothing Gibson has produced in the last few decades as TV Yellow looks anything like the originals anyway, even the Custom Shop VOS models. If you've seen an original up close, you know what I mean.

So there.  :P

I have'nt spoken up before about this previously,  but if they'd come in TV Yellow I'd have to buy one.   :mrgreen:

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2019, 01:35:57 PM »
While we're wishing, I think it'd look hot in yellowburst too, vintage correctness be damned :)

Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2019, 01:38:39 PM »
I have'nt spoken up before about this previously,  but if they'd come in TV Yellow I'd have to buy one.   :mrgreen:

Like this?

The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023