Author Topic: New Doublecut Junior Tribute Bass update  (Read 26225 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New Doublecut Junior Tribute Bass update
« Reply #75 on: May 04, 2019, 06:23:27 PM »
The blue one from the instagram post Dave put up looks awfully purple to me. Must be midnight blue, right Pilgrim?  ;D

I noticed that too, but the pics on dealer websites look blue.

....the bass sounds mellifluously sweet in an appropriately Gibsony way.

You should submit that phrase to Gibson's PR department.

I've actually never played a short scale.  I'm not a big person in any way, but the Thunderbird fits me just fine.  I don't want to deal with a different scale length....

I'm definitely more of a long scale person but I have no problem switching scales.

wellREDman

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2019, 02:54:47 PM »
Part of me thinks that, consciously or subconsciously, Jimmy was trying to make his Les Pauls sound more like Telecasters when he was playing live. His tone was surprisingly thin and surprisingly clean from the Les Pauls.
wonder what about the tele made him avoid it as live guitar

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2019, 06:48:53 PM »
wonder what about the tele made him avoid it as live guitar

He didn't.  He used it all thru the Yardbirds and til mid-'69 with Zeppelin until he got the LP.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2019, 08:20:28 AM »
I guess an LP is a bit fatter so nice in a trio like LedZep. Trio as in musical trio.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2019, 09:22:48 AM »
I just learned something new, from the thread at the Gear Page about the new bass. One poster said that the maple neck was a dealbreaker for him. Another poster responded:

i think you've got it backwards, maple is far better for bass. 'hog neck basses tend to be low-end shy and uneven, lots of dead spots. especially if it's short scale, maple will go a long way to overcoming that handicap.

:o

Gosh, no wonder my EB-0 is so low-end shy and trebly! Likewise with all my previous Gibson and Guild mahogany basses.  :rolleyes:

FWIW, I've never had a short scale bass with a dead spot, and only one non-Fender maple long scale with a dead spot.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2019, 09:32:30 AM »
i think you've got it backwards, maple is far better for bass. 'hog neck basses tend to be low-end shy and uneven, lots of dead spots. especially if it's short scale, maple will go a long way to overcoming that handicap.

Haha! Yeah the Internet is a lovely place. There's a truth to be found for any lunatic.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2019, 11:02:11 AM »
Haha! Yeah the Internet is a lovely place. There's a truth to be found for any lunatic.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."
~ Abraham Lincoln (source: the Internet)

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2019, 10:35:15 PM »
I just learned something new, from the thread at the Gear Page about the new bass. One poster said that the maple neck was a dealbreaker for him. Another poster responded:

:o

Gosh, no wonder my EB-0 is so low-end shy and trebly! Likewise with all my previous Gibson and Guild mahogany basses.  :rolleyes:

FWIW, I've never had a short scale bass with a dead spot, and only one non-Fender maple long scale with a dead spot.

Ha ha, same here :mrgreen: My '74 P have about five useable notes on the G string!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2019, 10:10:30 PM »
We talked earlier about what the routing under the pickguard might be. A member at MLP who bought the DC Junior Guitar version when they first came out last fall has just rewired his to 50s wiring specs and posted pics which show the cavity and the underside of the pickguard.

Incidentally, with the introduction of the bass and the DC Special, the jack on the Junior guitar has now been moved to the side.

FYI

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2019, 10:52:53 PM »
Geez, that doesn't even look like a Gibson built that. Look at the mess of the neck pocket. Why on earth would Gibson use a Forstner bit to cut out a pocket?
And since when does Gibson stain guitar bodies by hand with a brush instead of tinted lacquer?

Or do they have monkeys to build the prototypes for them?

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2019, 12:24:21 AM »
It's like they commissioned Rickenbacker to build them  ;)
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2019, 06:18:23 AM »
Geez, that doesn't even look like a Gibson built that. Look at the mess of the neck pocket. Why on earth would Gibson use a Forstner bit to cut out a pocket?
And since when does Gibson stain guitar bodies by hand with a brush instead of tinted lacquer?

Or do they have monkeys to build the prototypes for them?

This was before JC took over. I don't understand how it ever got out of the factory. I just posted it to show the routing.

And in all fairness, they were trained monkeys.

That was my first thought too.  ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2019, 06:19:27 AM »
Anyway, here's a screenshot from a promo video.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2019, 06:24:16 AM »
The 19' Juniors share the same body and have the same neck pickup route under the pickguard as the specials. See just after 9:45 here for the current guitars routing.

Wonder what's hiding under the pickguards of the basses? Trogly will be reviewing the bass too. should be interesting.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2019, 09:30:12 AM »

LOL
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)