Author Topic: Gibson Les Paul Bass Comparison  (Read 1141 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Gibson Les Paul Bass Comparison
« on: April 19, 2020, 08:14:37 PM »
This popped up today in my YT suggested videos. Pretty thorough. I suggest watching on YT and not just here so you can skip to the sections you want to hear.

I had no idea who he is. With a little research, his name is Alexander Varganov from Novosibirsk, Russia (Siberia), three of the basses are for sale on Reverb and he also sells the preamp and drive pedal.

My favorite by far is the '97 LPB-3, which is actually a '96. It's noticeably darker and I like that. YMMV of course.

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: Gibson Les Paul Bass Comparison
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2020, 05:52:13 AM »
The 96 stands out as the hottest and almost EB0 like at times. The rest are more similar than different, all having some hair to their tone, but the Y2K seemed to have the best balance and punch. Did not see that one listed for sale. Shipping would probably be steep from Russia and he is not exactly giving them away at those prices.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 04:33:21 PM by 4stringer77 »
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2020, 06:31:53 AM »
Cool video.  I love what sounds like inherent overdrive in the 2000.  I'd never seen the double-cut, but I really like it.  And is it an optical illusion or is the 2013's body a lot bigger than the others?

Les Paul is my favorite guitar ever, but for some reason it looks kinda weird to me as a bass.

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 06:43:32 AM »
It’s cool to hear five full scale LP Basses side by side. The 2013 is oversized. It is called the Les Paul Standard Oversized Bass.
There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 12:34:00 PM »
Playing back on my laptop speakers, the 2000 seems to have the most character? The black active one seems a bit polite.

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 04:14:04 PM »
Nice comparison. The 2000 has the most appealing sound to me.  The preamp pedal is very nice as well. I did a few gigs with one into a Wayne Audio powered cab and then the gigs stopped.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 04:28:30 PM »
Very good comparison! The sound of the 2000 is what I'd say my 2005 sounds like. Also the 2006 DC is what mine sounded like, which means less aggressive. I was surprised the active sounded like it had old strings compared to the others. I've only played one unplugged.