Author Topic: It sure doesn't look like a Buick  (Read 8217 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: It sure doesn't look like a Buick
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 05:58:58 PM »
I still want an Opel GT.   ;D
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 06:50:27 PM »
I know I have a trash taste, but I think those C3s look hot!!! Always have, always will. Never mind about the chassis which even by mid-seventies standards wasn't anything near to what you could call "sporty" (later Corvette generations did much better in that department). In a German auto-test the C3 received the scathing remark: "a mock sports car that drives like a cangaroo".  ;D But what a beautiful cangaroo 'twas!

I bought mine when I was living in the San Francisco Bay Area.  Taking it into the city was not fun.  4 speed with a burpy carb and nonfunctional E brake, typical of Vettes.  Disastrous on those city hills.  But it was a head turner.  I drove it to the The Mark Hopkins one night and the valet parked it right out front...today I realize he probably had no desire to drive the beast any farther than he had to.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 08:26:13 PM »
I'll agree that the Opel GT was a great looking little car. My cousin's GT was in the shop almost as much as it was out and running, and that turned me off of ever wanting to buy one. Could have been worse, I suppose; could have been a Triumph TR-7. And at least it wasn't as bad as my '74 Saab 99, a truly evil car that should have been given a long ride off a short pier.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 08:01:28 AM »
I loved the Opel GT when I was a kid. Mini Corvette! At the time, I thought it was cooler than Maxwell Smart's first car. Then when I was older, I realized that first car was a Sunbeam Tiger, which would DESTROY the Opel!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 11:41:10 AM »
I liked them, too.

But my favorite 'Vette of all time (not that I'm really a big 'Vette fan) was the 1962. Round quad headlights in front, Sting Ray pointed tail:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the body lines aren't that different from the 1958 Fiat TV Roadster I owned for 40 years:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 01:21:55 PM »
Here's the ad. Not much change from recent years. But none of the dumbshits in the ad can recognize that big Buick emblem.

Thank You!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 07:46:49 AM »
My fav Vette is the 63-67, followed by 68-72.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 08:07:42 AM »
i used to a total gm guy but over the years i have become a big ford fan. especially the trucks. you can keep your redneck porches(corvettes) and give me a comparable mustang anyday.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 11:19:51 AM »
My fav Vette is the 63-67, followed by 68-72.

The guy who painted the Buzzard I worked on restores Vettes and has that exact '67 except for the stripe and 6 taillights.

My fave is the 56-57.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 09:20:33 PM »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 06:36:29 AM »
This corvette didn't fare as well - it was the last one to be recovered from the sinkhole:

http://www.freep.com/article/20140410/BUSINESS0101/304100065/Corvette-museum-sinkhole
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 06:11:48 PM »
I loved my little '73 Opel wagon!  I could fit the Acoustic 360 just right in the back with the seat down.  Flight case slid in next to the bottom.  My dad liked it so much that he went and got one, but it was the Opel by Isuzu model.  His wasn't quite what mine was.

Nice!  I still have a thing for wagons.  I've had a Peugeot 505 and more recently a Roadmaster Estate:

That thing was a beast, and sure could move (LT-1  8))

My dad had a Manta way back when... always kinda liked those and the GTs.

My wife was in a hit and run last Oct, and her car was out of commission for a while.  She ended up with a Buick Lacrosse rental for about a month.  Some of the stuff they choose to automate just baffles me - like the engagement of the parking brake via a console switch instead of a mechanical lever (or pedal)... just more s4!t that'll end up breaking.  Overall, though, it was a pretty nice car.  My first impressions were good - but I have no idea how it would hold up over time.

I bet a lot of it is "global platform" - Open/Vauxhall, etc...  Sure looks it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:18:08 PM by chromium »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2014, 06:01:43 AM »
Re Manta, my mom had one like that too, the A model, just as above. Silly kid brother crashed it in a roadside ditch when he took it out age 13 or something (legal driving age was 18 back then in Germany!). The first of many car and motrcycle crashes he had, his guardian angel should really receive a Nobel prize for overtime work and endless patience. It only got better once he started turning 40, but let's not jinx it!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 08:20:34 PM »
Not only is GM still running the same retarded Buick commercial, now they have a Chevy summer event commercial with Kid Rock yowling and caterwauling at the top of his lungs. It seems to be playing about every 15 minutes. I might wear out the mute button on my remote if this keeps up.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 08:33:24 PM »
Latest review from Consumer Reports (which some like, some don't) rates the Buick Regal as competitive with BMW and ahead of Cadillac in small sporty sedans.  Interesting.