Author Topic: Lemmy bass.  (Read 4686 times)

nofi

• View Profile
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Lemmy bass.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 04:38:05 PM »
That's from last year, wonder why they waited so long to notice it. The Lemmy is practically vintage now.

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 06:58:30 PM »
Gee - from $1800 bucks to 11,000 bucks in 12 months!  Wow.
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:07:28 AM »
I've actually seen and played two of those, not counting Lemmy's, so that makes three, and two of them were well before 2000, around 97-98 IIRC. They played like most other Ric's and the sound wasn't really my thing; works for him though.

Paul Boyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 07:43:30 AM »
From my forthcoming book, "Rickenbacker Basses - 50+ Years As Rock's Bottom":

"Production. First announced on the official price list dated December 15, 1995, the new limited-edition bass retailed for $2429. No mention was made on the list of the number to be produced. An edition for 50 was planned, but this was later increased to 60 to fulfill orders. Although a two-pickup prototype was shown shortly after the announcement, it appears that early production Lemmy basses weren’t issued until early in 2001.
      The January 1, 1998 price list showed the Lemmy retailing for $2799, but it was missing from the January 2000 price list. It reappeared on the January 2001 list, again at $2799."

It is likely that a few trickled out in the late 1990s, but I have not seen evidence of that (listed by date codes on jackplates).
Author
"The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years as Rock's Bottom"

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 08:58:13 AM »
In the picture of Lemmy in that article, it looks like his bass has an added horseshoe pickup, so maybe the sound didn't work for him either.

:popcorn:

Paul Boyer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 09:11:44 AM »
No, he had just the mounting ring, screws, and the faux horseshoe cover mounted to serve as a handrest. He was used to having one as on his older 4001 basses. There's no "Fourth" pickup there. Lemmy's "Lemmy" is all beat to s*** (no surprise) and has been recently rehabbed as have his older basses.
Author

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 03:49:20 PM »
From my forthcoming book, "Rickenbacker Basses - 50+ Years As Rock's Bottom":

"Production. First announced on the official price list dated December 15, 1995, the new limited-edition bass retailed for $2429. No mention was made on the list of the number to be produced. An edition for 50 was planned, but this was later increased to 60 to fulfill orders. Although a two-pickup prototype was shown shortly after the announcement, it appears that early production Lemmy basses weren’t issued until early in 2001.
      The January 1, 1998 price list showed the Lemmy retailing for $2799, but it was missing from the January 2000 price list. It reappeared on the January 2001 list, again at $2799."

It is likely that a few trickled out in the late 1990s, but I have not seen evidence of that (listed by date codes on jackplates).

Any idea if the first 60 made it to retail? I'm sure it was before 2000 and maybe even as early as '96 that I saw them both at the same store.

Paul Boyer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 07:27:05 PM »
Don't know what you mean by the "first 60" making it to "retail." The first 60 were the last 60 as there were only 60 made. As I indicated, I don't know how many trickled out before things got really rolling in 2001. They all would have gone to "retail" although they may have been preordered so they likely were not seen in stores for long.

There are 12 4004LKs listed on the Rickenbacker Resource registry, none listed is earlier than April 2001. The last ones appear to have left the factory in late 2006.
Author

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 07:56:43 PM »
Don't know what you mean by the "first 60" making it to "retail." The first 60 were the last 60 as there were only 60 made. As I indicated, I don't know how many trickled out before things got really rolling in 2001. They all would have gone to "retail" although they may have been preordered so they likely were not seen in stores for long.

There are 12 4004LKs listed on the Rickenbacker Resource registry, none listed is earlier than April 2001. The last ones appear to have left the factory in late 2006.

I'm guessing he means how many actually made it into store stock to be sold at retail. IIRC Ed Roman had at least one in stock prior to 2001. I thought a few early ones did make it into stores, as opposed to being sold before being built.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 09:25:02 PM »
I'm guessing he means how many actually made it into store stock to be sold at retail.

Exactly. I saw both at retail at Pick 'N Grin in Knoxville, TN separated by a few months, and yes, they had different serial numbers. The second one may have been used now that I think about it. Around that time, there were several players around here with more money than sense and they would buy and trade-in basses that today are beyond rare frequently. I saw a few Modulus Quantum 5 and 6 basses with Lane Poor pickups and lots of Ken Smith and Pedulla and even Warwick customs around town during the same time period.

wagdog

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 07:11:00 AM »
I vaguely remember there was some issue around the guy who carved these.  He did a few then left or got fired and it took Ric quite a while to find another carver.  Anyone remember this?

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 07:31:03 AM »
Yep, I remember John Hall posting about it.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Paul Boyer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 07:33:48 AM »
Wagdog, you are correct. There were three different fellows who carved the Lemmy's, but most were done by the third and last guy, Richard Seccombe. The delays in production of the Lemmy's was due to the time involved in the carving and finding a luthier/wood carver who could do the work. While a "template" was made for the oak leaf and acorn motif, the artists preferred using it as a reference and several Lemmy's varied widely from the established template.
Author