Author Topic: Dimarzio Ultra Jazz  (Read 4680 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Dimarzio Ultra Jazz
« on: September 24, 2010, 06:09:03 AM »
A up date to the continuing evolution of my '08 MIA Jazz bass that I use for our Zeppelin tribute set. For the $ ($875 new) this was the best value in the Fender line and it had the look I was after, unfourtunatley not the sound. The first thing I did was install Seymour Duncan Hot for Jazz pickups, this helped but still not quite what I was after. For me the notes don't jump out on the D and G string like they do on Gibson Thunderbirds, EB3s etc. I know this is in part due to Fenders bolt on construction and maple neck but I also think the pickups also contribute. I just installed a Dimarzio Ultra Jazz in the neck position and at something like 12.5k it really puts out and has Gibson like harmonics. The D and G string seem to sing. The real test will be with the band of course, gig Sat. I'll have a full report on Sun. PS The bass now sports a road worn Jazz neck as the bass had a little mishap onstage.  :-[
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Dimarzio Ultra Jazz
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 07:52:28 AM »
I hope the Ultra Jazz works for you. Sounds better to my ears than the SD Hot although I've never had the opportunity to compare them in the same bass.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:51:37 AM »
You guys know I'm a big Dimarzio fan, a bit surprised I didn't try these first ?????????
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 11:32:14 AM »
You guys know I'm a big Dimarzio fan, a bit surprised I didn't try these first ?????????

Especially if you're looking for a Gibson sound from a Jazz.  Gotta ask, if it's a Zep tribute wouldn't the Jazz sound be more appropriate?  Of course then you'd also have to go the Acoustic 360 route.  I can definitely understand NOT wanting JPJ's tone.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 12:30:51 PM »
 Good point  dadagoboi. Some players get great tones from Fenders, I just don't seem to be one of them, 30 plus years of playing nothing but Gibsons have left Fenders a bit of a mystery to me :-[ It is in only the last 8-10 years or so  that I have made any attempt at playing a Fender and only seriousley in the last 2 years. JPJ's early sound was pretty ballsy over time it got quite tame and rather bland. For a live situation I need a bass that will do what I ask of it and not have to fight it all the time. Beside no one is paying attention to what I am doing everyone is watching the guitar player  :rolleyes: I have been thinking of picking up a vintage  Acoustic rig
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 12:37:04 PM by godofthunder »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 02:38:21 PM »
PS The bass now sports a road worn Jazz neck as the bass had a little mishap onstage.  :-[

Scott, your not Townshend... ;D

:popcorn: re the gig... have fun...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 03:19:29 PM »
No I'm no PT but I am prone to fits from time to time. Sound man  pissed me off................................. wouldn't take the bass out of the monitors it was more than painful even with ear plugs, that is saying a lot. In desperation I tossed my bass at him. At that point he pulled the bass out of the monitors. Sigh soundmen.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 06:55:44 PM by godofthunder »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 04:02:58 PM »
Keep a baseball bat handy for the next time... it might be cheaper ;)
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 07:00:53 PM »
Fender = baseball bat.  ;D

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 06:19:11 AM »
Scott...!!!

Only after modification... before that it's an oversize squash racket...! :o ;D

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 06:38:39 AM »
you tossed your bass. ???
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 07:07:06 AM »
Well it's not like it's a Thunderbird or anything  ;)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 07:17:54 AM »
Proper Fender technique
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KyK0y02HvVc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param>

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 07:24:34 AM »
An Englishman's (or Scotsman's) home is his castle, and repelling boarders is a prerequisite consideration... ;)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 01:34:57 PM »

Better to toss your cookies.  :puke:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."