Author Topic: A very good idea from....Squier????  (Read 8792 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: A very good idea from....Squier????
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 06:02:41 PM »
I haven't taken any pics of my SX since I finished the mods but here is one of the back from when I first bought it 2nd hand for $100.
Great bass. This one is Alder and has a P/J setup. To be honest I wish it was just a P but at that price I cant complain. I put a Tort guard, Brierley custom vintage pups and a set of tuners and a string tree from a MIJ Fender P I had lying around (the bits not the bass).

Digresion our specialty!

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 08:49:47 AM »
As GOT mentioned way too many switches and (noisy glitches) in the Fender Jag AND neck diver galore. How is the balance on the Squier?

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 08:37:05 AM »
i bought an sx jazz with the old fenderish head stock right before the switch. however, mine had a twist in the neck and completely whack electrics. rondo has a great return policy so no harm done. i would still like a pre ursa p bass. though.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 11:20:08 AM »
I wish this was pre Ursa  :o pretty cool imho. http://www.rondomusic.com/product3651.html
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 12:00:30 PM »
Rondo was selling Pre Ursa pearl inlay necks last week for $59.
http://www.rondomusic.com/product3642.html

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 08:43:45 AM »
I played one of these today, all I can say for a $300 bass it is pretty darn nice ! Love the cleaned up electronics and the P/J setup over the J/J of the original Fender.The only thing I don't care for is the sanding sealer finish on the back of the neck, but that's nit picking. I might go back and get it ;)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 08:49:00 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 03:58:25 PM »
The only thing I don't care for is the sanding sealer finish on the back of the neck, but that's nit picking. I might go back and get it ;)

Easily fixed in 2 minutes with 0000 steel wool and some elbow grease.  Shines it right up.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 05:22:35 PM by dadagoboi »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2010, 09:19:18 PM »
Sanding sealer? It's just matte polyurethane.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2010, 12:17:14 PM »
I played one of these today, all I can say for a $300 bass it is pretty darn nice ! Love the cleaned up electronics and the P/J setup over the J/J of the original Fender.The only thing I don't care for is the sanding sealer finish on the back of the neck, but that's nit picking. I might go back and get it ;)

Yup, steel wool or a Scotch-Brite pad.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2010, 01:14:53 PM »
I think I'm going to wonder over to GC tomorrow and see if they have one these.  I'm not thrilled with the agathis body body but for $300 it's a great staring point.  I can make a body for about $30, out of African Mahogany, and easily upgrade the electronics.  Seling off the old stuff would offset some the cost of upgrades.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 02:16:01 PM »
I've been doing some background reading on agathis, and it doesn't sound like an inferior wood for instruments.  There are plenty of people who don't like mahogany, for that matter.  I suppose it's all personal preference.  For me, the fact that agathis is a relatively light wood is a real plus, as long as it doesn't lead to neck dive.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 07:19:00 PM »
Maybe the agathis thing goes back to all of the agathis packing that I've dealt with over the years from asian markets.  The stuff has been the pine of the orient for decades and it was used extensively for packaging and crating.  It smells horrible and I guess I still associate it with being trash wood.

Besides, making a new body is fun! ;)   I can make it out of anything - poplar, alder, ash - as long as it's painted the body blank is easy enough to come up.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 10:24:48 PM »
The name agathis apparently covers a wide range of woods from low grade packing and crating lumber to a well regarded New Zealand tree also called kauri. We don't really know what type these bodies are. No doubt they're inexpensive but probably not junk grade either.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2010, 12:25:10 AM »
A lot of Indonesian built guitars use the local variety of Agathis from that region. I know that a lot of Yamaha Pacifica guitars are proudly labeled Agathis. My experience is its a pretty decent tone wood. Somewher between Alder and Basswood imo.
Digresion our specialty!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2010, 07:08:19 AM »
If it sounds good, holds up well and helps keep the cost down on entry level guitars, I don't see a problem.