Author Topic: A very good idea from....Squier????  (Read 8793 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
A very good idea from....Squier????
« on: August 02, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »
A Squier Jaguar vintage modified bass.....P/J pickups, color matching headstock, stack-knobs and white pearloid inlays on the neck.

WOW!  And it's $299 at Sam Ash and other online vendors.  THAT is a tempting price.

There is MUCH to like here.... http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0327900506

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

luve2fli

• View Profile
Re: A very good idea from....Squier????
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 06:42:25 AM »
Dayum - that is nice. Squier has been producing some decent basses in the last few years, I've got two of the "Vibe" series and they're great. Might have to go down to the music shop and give this one a quick demo ......
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 07:10:36 AM »
I've been tracking comments about the vintage modified series  basses on Talkbass...they definitely have a following,  I've laid hands on a couple and been very tempted.  There's a natural finish Jazz bass in that series that really talks to me...but this Jag is singing.  And unlike the $700+ price tag and reputation for RF problems that the Fender Jag carries, this one is priced so that I wouldn't mind adding some shielding if needed.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 08:57:52 AM »
I am really liking that black/tort look.  at that price i may have to go check one out.  Cheap enough that i will probably do what i have wanted to do but resisted - add another  j pup near the neck without killing the price of one of my j or  p basses..   JPJ  IMHO would be the perfect fender.  bodies are still basswood aren't they.  may be a neck diver...
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:12:29 AM »
And it solves my biggest complaint about the Jags.......................to many knobs and switches !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 11:25:16 AM »
Agathis Body. This is what the original should have looked like.  Can't believe they've used stack knobs.  Way cool!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 07:48:32 PM »
The VM White Jazz is kick-ass bass, period, Squier or otherwise. I've played four or five off-the shelf and they all sounded and played killer. If that Jag has the same neck, it's a winner.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 08:26:06 PM »
Almost like Squier are taking their lead from SX.

I've been contemplating one of these for nearly a year now.

Digresion our specialty!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 12:17:50 AM »
SX's are way cooler, even with the ibanezoid headstocks.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 06:15:17 AM »
Oooo... I like that icy blue... 8) 8) 8)

Needs a matching head to round-out the picture...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 06:52:39 AM »
Not to hijack the thread but I HIGHLY reccoemnd SX basses ! Almost 1/2 the cost of many Squiers these are great basses for those on a tight budget, just starting, need a back up or a mod platform. I have a SX '75J bass and it is killer ! Beautiful ash body maple neck with block inlay, I think I paid 159.00 for it. So far the only thing I did was put a Dimarzio J pup in the neck position. Down the road I may put a 3 ply guard on her change out the tuners and bridge, pots etc, but honestly you don't need to do any of that these basses are fine right out of the box, a quick set up, put on your favorite strings and you are good to go! This bass plays far better than any '70s Fender I have ever owned, fit and finish are excellent considering the price point. If you ever have a problem Kurt at Rondo is excellent to work with. They also carry a Beatle bass under the Douglas name for $149 it is a nice little bass (sure plays better than my '65 Hofner.) Here are some pics of my SX '75J
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 08:03:40 AM »
The SX line gets a lot of love from those who like inexpensive basses...and so does the whole Squier VM line.

I think that today's budget instruments are leagues better than the stuff from Japan in the 60's and 70's.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 08:38:57 AM »
Way better entry level stuff than when I started in the early '70s my "first" bass a rented Kingston what a POS ! I bought one off ebay a few years ago to complete my "early years" collection, just as bad as I remembered it.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 09:05:23 AM »
Squier also offers these newbies. The P-bass has a classic look about it, while the J-bass has block inlays and looks very classy indeed.

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326802520

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0327702506
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 03:58:22 PM »
Way better entry level stuff than when I started in the early '70s my "first" bass a rented Kingston what a POS ! I bought one off ebay a few years ago to complete my "early years" collection, just as bad as I remembered it.

My first storebought bass was a Kent like this one, bought new in '63.   Cost $70, around $480 in today's dollars.  POS, no trussrod, babana neck.  I had no problem resisting buying this one, but it's nice to have a picture.

I've owned around a dozen SX's which I relicked and sold after doing a thorough setup.  Never had a problem with ANY of their necks and I kept a P bass for 18 months before stupidly selling it that didn't need any adjustment during that time.  I can't say that for the nine or so Squiers I own now, 4 have necks that can't be straightened.  They're from 3 different countries.  I do think Squier QC is better now, I was able to get a good setup on an Affinity recently. 

Anyone who can do a minor setup might consider buying an SX.  They recently changed the old headstocks because you could easily reshape them to resemble a Fender.  I think my Brice Tbird was made in the same factory, got the last one Kurt brought in.