Author Topic: Oops... now I'm in trouble... haven't done this for 23 years...  (Read 7072 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Honest... I couldn't help myself... some dark, primeval upwelling occurred and before I knew I was doing it, it was done...

My daughter exclaimed to my wife what I had done and said, "He's done what...?" (we had my inlaws round which probably saved me) to which I tried to explain, but failed...

I made a swift departure and went off to see the results of my sins...

hmm... a slight tweek and she'll fit so I can wait on a case...

Well... got myself a black Squier 20th anniversary Jazz for what I consider to be a bargain-basement price (£62/$93)... and took a 90 mile round trip to collect... came with no strings or case, but what do you expect for the price... all looked reasonable... scratchplate (triple sandwich) had obviously had something on it and a white bar is visible centrally, which may polish out...

... too late in the evening to run up properly... gonna have to wait for the morning... honest, it's not a grimace, it's teeth holding on to a pick...

Strung her up... initial overview is very positive... the setup was well out - all saddles were well forward of intonation (quickly sorted) and a look at the neck showed a bow, but put up with that for the evening (saved the digging for tools for today) ... the truss-rod nut was easy to move, even loose, and carefully gave a 1/2 turn which has nicely straightened out - relief is quite even now... minor adjustment required to the G saddle and next up was the sound-check...

... which was very positive...

Not played one for around 27 years; Roshina finds this the nicest bass she's tried, but here's the thing... is this a true bargain and worth playing with...?
I had an idea to do a homage to that (ridiculously priced) '64 gold-sparkle that keeps showing up, also she has the same sized pups (is the pole-lineup that much of an issue) so is it worth considering the smaller neck pup, and a new scratchplate, or just live with it, or a Mudbucker  (a-la-Melvin S) or re-use the neck pup a-la-Berry/Tractor)...

... or do I leave well alone and just play... :vader: :rimshot:

Jackie would prefer my (earlier) idea of doing up and selling on, but... :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: Oops... now I'm in trouble... haven't done this for 23 years...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 12:03:13 PM »
Nice score Ken!  For $93 you can't go wrong!  If it plays nice I say keep it - you can cut back on bird seed for a month or two to make up the $$$  I, for one, would upgrade the pots, cap and pickups and play it out.  If you're careful you can do it up for just about a $100 more ;)

And, Ken, please, for the love of God, get some some sun on those legs :o ;D  Maybe a can of spay tan............

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 01:23:05 PM »
Perhaps Mark can recommend some waxing techniques...?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 05:46:46 PM »
Hope I didn't unduly influence you with my recent pictures of my MIJ Jazz... Have to admit I'm partial to the way it looks right now!  ;)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 12:20:00 AM »
KEN!!  now you will be able to work on those Geddy riffs we were talking about.   :P  ;D

Tort Scratchplate I say!

Good score mate.
Digresion our specialty!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 06:25:09 AM »
 That is a very nice score ! For the price you can do whatever you like ;) I have a SX Jazz bass that I like very much I use it in the shop. I put a Dimarzio J in the neck position and it sounds Killer. I only put the one in so you are welcome to the other. As others have said a good idea to change out the pots but nothing you must do right away. Enjoy !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 08:00:41 AM »
Very nice score! Congrats! And a big +1 for a tort guard!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 08:14:26 AM »
Tort would be nice, and I'm a fan of it...but I'm also a fan of the pearloid variations.

That bass is a great example of an instrument that doesn't have to be expensive to sound great and be fun to play!  I am definitely a Fender fan, and that's a nice looking bass for an excellent price.  The J series balances well too...should be a fun player for you.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 09:43:52 AM »
for the love of God, get some some sun on those legs :o ;D 

Ken- I also have a programmer's tan.  No biggie, just make sure to stay away from the blacklights...  ;D

Great looking bass- congrats!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 11:56:04 AM »
Ah Harry... you just never know what might have tipped the balance, but Berry Oakley and Dennis Dunaway were major influences on me, so it was only a matter of time and price... ;)

Bret... I need a maple neck to do a Ged... ;D

Scott - I may take you up on that DM... I'll PM...

Does the larger pup (pole line-up) in the neck slot make that much of a difference...?

I'll have to think about what I go for with this one as we are on an overtime ban, which is seriously making me think... The obvious thing is to out the pots for CTS, I'll bear in mind the refin and the PG as I do like the black fin on this one, and Jackie likes the cost implication of not doing anything... ;)

Joe... brilliant card...! I'm presently suffering from (UK) drivers tan - right forearm...  ;D

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 01:08:05 PM »

Good job Kenny. I picked up this '84 Squier six or seven years ago for a song. Not quite the song you got yours for, but I was happy!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 01:13:55 PM »
SNAP (almost... ;D)

Looks like Daddarios on there - that's what I slung on mine (admittedly robbed off the PC as I don't have a spare set at the mo')

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 01:53:04 PM »
Black with a with guard is a classic look. A b/w/b guard would look great also.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 01:59:11 PM »
I keep thinking white pearloid or black pearloid....tart it up a bit.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 11:20:07 PM »
Where was it made Ken?
Digresion our specialty!