Author Topic: Speaking of Bill Wyman...  (Read 4455 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Speaking of Bill Wyman...
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 06:45:52 PM »
A pick, and played on his original bass, the Dallas Tuxedo that he defretted. Not the Framus.

Likewise with the ending of Paint it, Black.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 08:42:36 AM »
I don't think that Mandy needed much grooming. And I'm not saying that as a character assassination of her along the lines of her being a floozy or gold digger. She was free to do what she did and that doesn't make her a bad person. Some people are ahead of their age and enjoy the company of adults more than of their own peers - I should know because I have a son like that (who always sounded, acted and looked older than he was, his friends would always send him to buy the alcohol  :) ).

For the record: Bill W acted irresponsibly and should have thought a little more about the whole thing. But that doesn't make her automatically a victim. These days, people seem to be forced in either category: victim or perpetrator. Life isn't so simple or black and white. And laws about sexual behavior can only approximate reality at best.

That is actually my one bone of contention with your first reply, Jake (which I knew was coming): You argued that the term "jailbird" (as used by me) already showed that it wasn't "ok" back then. Which means you hold the view that the existence of sexual behavior prohibition laws of a certain time already mirror the bad end (no pun intended) on your (current) moral indignation richter scale.  :-\

Some food for thought: Until the late 60ies, even consensual sex between male adults in Germany was considered a crime punishable with prison. There was a law "Section 175 of the Criminal Code". Gay men were commonly referred to as "175ers". Does the existence of that law back then indicate in your view that today sex between men is still wrong as well?

You don't have to deny, I don't believe for a moment you're a gay basher. But the existence of a law per se is no moral indicator. As a German I should know. The Nürnberg Race Laws that paved the way to Auschwitz for German (and other) Jews were an intricate set of laws carefully crafted and passed by an originally democratically elected government. The most hideous things can be passed as law.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 10:53:43 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 12:30:01 PM »
It would have been perfectly legal in Brunei or Yemen if he married her straight away when she turned 14. The only thing worse than that would be the bridge on a Dallas Tuxedo bass. Okay maybe not worse but pretty bad. At the same time, you can't argue with the recorded results. Maybe a dallas tuxedo will be the next eastwood remake.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 01:04:05 PM »
It's bad enough that they keep missing the mark on basses people might actually have wanted such as the EB-1 or Newport.  At first it sounds tempting; then you see the results. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2019, 08:58:47 PM »
It would have been perfectly legal in Brunei or Yemen if he married her straight away when she turned 14. The only thing worse than that would be the bridge on a Dallas Tuxedo bass. Okay maybe not worse but pretty bad. At the same time, you can't argue with the recorded results. Maybe a dallas tuxedo will be the next eastwood remake.

Already done, with improvements.

The Bass Centre Wyman Bass

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2019, 07:14:37 AM »
They should have pulled the frets after installing them for added authenticity. That's a funny looking little bass. The original Les paul type shape was much nicer before Bill carved it up. Even the die hard bass playing stones fans must have been a hard sell for that shorty.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2019, 09:28:17 PM »
They should have pulled the frets after installing them for added authenticity. That's a funny looking little bass. The original Les paul type shape was much nicer before Bill carved it up. Even the die hard bass playing stones fans must have been a hard sell for that shorty.

Agreed about the shape. AFAIK he rarely used it on stage though. He used it in the studio for years.