Author Topic: New Suzi Quatro album 3/29 -- and interview  (Read 10954 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New Suzi Quatro album 3/29 -- and interview
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2019, 07:51:44 PM »
Are we trying to return to topic here, Dave?

No, just pointing out that we didn't need to hear about everything else Ron Wood has ever done in some misguided effort to make us change our minds about one song.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2019, 05:52:51 AM »
Well, it could have always gotten even worse if the dreaded "Mick Taylor was better for the Stones than Ron Wood"-follow up discussion would have reared its ugly head!

BTW, Mick T was a more accurate bass player too as can be heard here (Wyman wasn't at the session for that particular song). You can tell it's Mick because he follows Charlie's bass drum more closely than Bill W ever did.  :mrgreen: As if he had thought to himself "I've heard that in other bands, the bassist locks in with the bass drum, perhaps we should try that for once ...".

Not knocking Bill though, he was idiosyncratically great, just not much of a bass drum follower, but not everyone has to be.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2019, 10:24:55 AM »
Herr Eisen (who wrote the song) even offered it to him. Considering some of the stuff Roddie released in the netherworld of the late seventies and throughout the 80ies, he was ill-advised not to take it.

Why on earth would Rod record a second rate version of his own song? Wouldn't make sense to me.

Amazing that Sting's, Adams' and Stewart's worst piece of work is one and the same song. Crap movie too.

Agreed that it's crap. But I'm pretty sure the bank account of the three don't mind one bit about that...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2019, 10:27:52 AM »

Not knocking Bill though, he was idiosyncratically great, just not much of a bass drum follower, but not everyone has to be.

Everybody knows that each Rolling Stone has been ordered to follow Keef, except Keef.  :mrgreen:

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2019, 02:39:19 PM »
Well, it could have always gotten even worse if the dreaded "Mick Taylor was better for the Stones than Ron Wood"-follow up discussion would have reared its ugly head!

BTW, Mick T was a more accurate bass player too as can be heard here (Wyman wasn't at the session for that particular song). You can tell it's Mick because he follows Charlie's bass drum more closely than Bill W ever did.  :mrgreen: As if he had thought to himself "I've heard that in other bands, the bassist locks in with the bass drum, perhaps we should try that for once ...".

Guilty of being a bass drum follower.  But if I could have an idiosyncratic style like Bill Wyman, I wouldn't mind that, either.  I think his unique style added yet another twist to the Rolling Stones sound.  Of course I mostly prefer their earlier stuff and haven't really listened to them much in a very, very long time. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2019, 07:57:23 PM »
The Stones without Wyman are a Stones cover band.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2019, 10:04:35 PM »

You are quite right, that's what they sounded like when I saw them in '95. Who was it, Darryl Jones? Anyway, it was a good bass player but the show in sum was generic.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2019, 08:09:38 AM »
Darryl Jones is a skilled bass player, but he wouldn't play any different if he was with Journey.

I think the explanation why a lot of 60ies bass players like McCartney, Wyman, Bruce or Entwistle did not follow the bass drum much was simple: You really didn't hear it back then either live or on recordings. I only heard the bass drum on Purple's 60ies recordings when I heard their music on CD for the first time (not vinyl) and was genuinely surprised: "There's a bass drum pattern here?!"

Bass and bass drum slavishly locking into one another really only came to my attention via disco music in the mid to late seventies.

And the fact that the traditional role of bass in jazz for decades had not been to follow the drums, but to lay a walking bass foundation to which complex bass drum patterns were added on top was in my view also a reason why 60ies bassist played the way they played.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2019, 01:29:34 PM »

I'm not saying the replacement members aren't good.  But I wouldn't want to see the Stones without Bill Wyman or Flleetwood Mac without Lindsey Buckingham.  You couldn't give me the tickets for free. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2019, 10:38:59 PM »
I don't see it happening. RRHOF is US-centric, and she never had much success here. Her only Top 40 single in the US was her duet with Chris Norman, and I doubt that would have happened without her TV success on Happy Days.

As for Cherie Currie not respecting the RRHOF, that's a pretty big club already.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2019, 11:51:18 PM »
I'd say the RRHOF became a big joke a while ago.  It may have some relevance, but not really all that much.  Putting people in who should be out and keeping people out who should be in. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 11:57:49 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2019, 10:31:55 PM »
Putting people in who should be out and keeping people out who should be in.

So it's like the white house, but for musicians?  :-X

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2019, 12:36:48 AM »
So it's like the white house, but for musicians?  :-X

You sound like my best friend who is saying stuff like that all the time.  But what I really should have emphasized is that the worst part is deserving people who have been left out.  It's true there are some that shouldn't be in there at all, but that's a lesser problem, IMO.  This is a long list and not everyone on it should be in, but some definitely should be. 

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2018/12/rock_roll_hall_of_fames_50_mos.html
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 05:37:16 AM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2019, 08:35:09 AM »
You sound like my best friend who is saying stuff like that all the time.  But what I really should have emphasized is that the worst part is deserving people who have been left out.  It's true there are some that shouldn't be in there at all, but that's a lesser problem, IMO.  This is a long list and not everyone on it should be in, but some definitely should be. 

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2018/12/rock_roll_hall_of_fames_50_mos.html

Delighted to see Dick Dale on that list!!

I just had a shadow box made up with stuff Dick signed.  Sam Bolle also signed the guitar strap. Can't get the picture to show.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."