Author Topic: So I bought a Gibson bass again  (Read 19966 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: So I bought a Gibson bass again
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2019, 05:27:54 AM »
I'm not surprised.

Mel could have told you, Ilan! We're an American mud.

I'm surprised Fender never did a signature model of his Jazz - just because it was a Gibson product replacement pup? As Dave once rightfully said, his bass playing and that "Mazz" (mud & Jazz) sound drove all those early Grand Funk Railroad recordings.

GF(R) aren't even in the RRHF, right? That is a crime. They were among the truest of American bands - and not just because of a song title. Hugely underrated outfit.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 05:33:54 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2019, 06:29:17 AM »
If it had a bridge pickup I'd never replace the mud. I really like the bass, I just need a sound I can use. If the Retrovibe doesn't do it for me, I'll go back to the Ric toaster under the big cover. It sounded excellent, and in a sense, only poetic justice after all those 70s Rics violated with mudbuckers :-)
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 08, 2019, 07:34:32 AM »
Add a bridge pup and you're all set. EB-0Ls won't turn into 50ies Les Paul Goldtops anytime soon.

Which Judas Priest song had the subliminal message "Do it! Do it! Do it!" again? Ah, this one here ...

Listen to it backwards, Ilan. Again and again. Concentrate on Robbie's backward breathing ... ;)

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #93 on: April 08, 2019, 07:57:24 AM »
Not a notch - 2nd order ( 12 db per octave) high pass filter. I once calculated the corner freq but don't remember now.

editted to add: the Ripper (using the same inductor coil - diff part number but same value) does have a notch filter IIRC, so that may be the cause of the confusion (and fixed the above; high pass not low pass)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 04:38:54 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 08, 2019, 11:06:39 AM »
Mel could have told you, Ilan! We're an American mud.

I'm surprised Fender never did a signature model of his Jazz - just because it was a Gibson product replacement pup? As Dave once rightfully said, his bass playing and that "Mazz" (mud & Jazz) sound drove all those early Grand Funk Railroad recordings.

GF(R) aren't even in the RRHF, right? That is a crime. They were among the truest of American bands - and not just because of a song title. Hugely underrated outfit.

I loved the Mel Schacher bass sound.  But the critics were always harsh on GFR.  Especially critical of Mark Farner's guitar playing.  Yet I'd gladly wager that not a single one of them would be capable of playing and singing like he did.  His voice was a big factor in their sound.  And better than the voices of more than a fair number of people in the RRHOF, IMO. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #95 on: April 08, 2019, 11:19:55 AM »
Not a notch - 2nd order ( 12 db per octave) low pass filter. I once calculated to corner freq but dont remember not.

LOWpass? On a mudbucker?
Does that even do anything?
 :o
I've never owned a bass with a varitone, always been curious what the various sounds are.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 08, 2019, 12:30:01 PM »
Not a notch - 2nd order ( 12 db per octave) low pass filter. I once calculated to corner freq but dont remember not.

Are talking about the same choke varitone position here Jake? I thought Ilan meant when the choke coil is engaged, on my '69 EB-3 that means in pos 3 and 4.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #97 on: April 08, 2019, 04:26:54 PM »
Are talking about the same choke varitone position here Jake? I thought Ilan meant when the choke coil is engaged, on my '69 EB-3 that means in pos 3 and 4.

LOWpass? On a mudbucker?
Does that even do anything?
 :o
I've never owned a bass with a varitone, always been curious what the various sounds are.

Sorry, meant high pass.  Point is it's not a notch but a shelf.  Corrected above.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 08, 2019, 07:55:31 PM »
By the time Fender got around to offering signature basses, Mel had moved on to Zon.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2019, 07:10:06 AM »
"Especially critical of Mark Farner's guitar playing."

He sounded self-tutored, so what? If that rules out his musicianship, then you have to discard all the blues greats too. 

This might be inviting double entendres, but there was something very throbbing and organic about GFR, clinical they weren't. And they had more groove than a lot of heavy bands of the time. Coming from Flint, Michigan, was good for something.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2019, 08:59:35 AM »
I just happened to run across this the other day in which Mark Farner comments on each of their albums. 

https://web.musicaficionado.com/main.html#!/article/mark_farner_relives_grand_funk_album_by_album_by_joebosso
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2019, 09:00:05 AM »
"Especially critical of Mark Farner's guitar playing."

He sounded self-tutored, so what? If that rules out his musicianship, then you have to discard all the blues greats too. 

This might be inviting double entendres, but there was something very throbbing and organic about GFR, clinical they weren't. And they had more groove than a lot of heavy bands of the time. Coming from Flint, Michigan, was good for something.

I saw those guys at a fairly small venue just before they truly exploded.  They were powerhouses!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2019, 09:22:41 AM »
I saw those guys at a fairly small venue just before they truly exploded.  They were powerhouses!

I never had the pleasure of seeing Grand Funk, but I did catch ZZ Top sometime in between "Rio Grande Mud" and "Tres Hombres."  I would also describe that as a powerhouse performance. 

--Blaise Pascal

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 10, 2019, 01:37:27 PM »
I think that everybody should try to split their muds before buying anything, it's very easy to do and it is reversable.

I took your advice and had a tech split the mud (I was too afraid to do it myself). That is exactly the sound I wanted. I'm very happy with the way the bass sounds now. Fat but with definition, and a slight mid notch or hollowness that is a bit Ric-ish but still retains the character of the EB.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 10, 2019, 09:10:30 PM »
Great! I'm not sure if you have wired it as a coil tap(single coil) but if so and it gets a little noisy wiring it as both coils in parallel gets rid of the hum and does not change the tone all that much.You should still retain enough lows to demolish small buildings.Enjoy!
Louder bass!.