Author Topic: THE COVERSALE /// 'ERE'S SOMETHING MORE CEREBRAL FOR YOU ...  (Read 5255 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: THE COVERSALE /// 'ERE'S SOMETHING MORE CEREBRAL FOR YOU ...
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2019, 03:24:00 PM »
I had a boss who had a Jag  He was always having to have something done to it.  He was a jackass, BTW. 

« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 05:47:52 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2019, 08:16:12 PM »
I texted Keith tonight and asked him which model he had. His answer: "XJS Moneypit Edition."  :mrgreen:

I'll never forget the head case who bought it from him. He drove 500 miles (round trip) to see it at my house, decided he wanted it, and wired the money to Keith in Korea. The deal was done. Instead of coming back, he hired an auto transport company. The driver damaged the front end while loading it, and the crazy buyer wanted to undo the whole deal.  :rolleyes: I had to stand firm. It was already his.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2019, 05:57:48 AM »
I texted Keith tonight and asked him which model he had. His answer: "XJS Moneypit Edition."  :mrgreen:

"XJS" and "money pit" are redundant terms.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2019, 08:20:25 AM »
I remember those conversions.
They (1) started, (2) ran and (3) didn't leak stuff on the drive.

That's 3 to 0 compared to the originals.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2019, 01:46:49 PM »
I have 100% of a Jag's problems without actually owning one. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 08:24:50 AM »
I tried a new one recently for a few days, the XF Sportbrake, played with the idea of switching to something else than Volvo for once.

It's a well-made car, no issue. TATA know their business. But that aggressive rear-wheel drive ...  ??? After 25 years of driving about 10 different 4-wheel-drive Volvos, I was startled to drive a car that burns rubber and becomes unruly if you speed it up in a curve and that needs to be steered to drive a straight line :o on the Autobahn going a mild 170 km/h. With my Volvos, I can go 225 km/h or more on the Autobahn (when it's empty in the wee-wee hours of the morning, I'm a nocturnal worker) and there is no need to steer, they are "driving on rails". With the Jag, I constantly had the feeling that its butt wanted to be in front of its snout which seems to get lighter with every additional km/h. I'm too old for that. ;D Leave that to the BMW drivers half my age with ghetto flat black finish. 8) Don't get me wrong, I like a powerful car (my Volvo V 90 has more than 300 hp, the Jag I tested had less), but I want optimal traction at all times, not rubber being scraped over the asphalt. A car that is confident and strong, not vicious and hyper.

So that was my recent Jag experience which did not turn me into a convert, I guess I'm more lichen-munching stability ...

than tensed-up feline ...

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:53:07 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 09:32:07 AM »
I tried a new one recently for a few days, the XF Sportbrake, played with the idea of switching to something else than Volvo for once.

It's a well-made car, no issue. TATA know their business. But that aggressive rear-wheel drive ...  ??? After 25 years of driving about 10 different 4-wheel-drive Volvos, I was startled to drive a car that burns rubber and becomes unruly if you speed it up in a curve and that needs to be steered to drive a straight line :o on the Autobahn going a mild 170 km/h. With my Volvos, I can go 225 km/h or more on the Autobahn (when it's empty in the wee-wee hours of the morning, I'm a nocturnal worker) and there is no need to steer, they are "driving on rails". With the Jag, I constantly had the feeling that its butt wanted to be in front of its snout which seems to get lighter with every additional km/h. I'm too old for that. ;D Leave that to the BMW drivers half my age with ghetto flat black finish. 8) Don't get me wrong, I like a powerful car (my Volvo V 90 has more than 300 hp, the Jag I tested had less), but I want optimal traction at all times, not rubber being scraped over the asphalt. A car that is confident and strong, not vicious and hyper.

So that was my recent Jag experience which did not turn me into a convert, I guess I'm more lichen-munching stability ...

than tensed-up feline ...

Your Volvo was/is pretty plush as I recall, a bit more so than the BMW wagon we rented the next day and used for the remainder of our stay. I think its a much wiser choice than a Jaguar, which must somehow actually be an acronym for Fix Or Repair Daily. :-*

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 10:37:41 AM »
I like the Volvos a lot, but I'd probably have gone with the Jag.  It would be more similar to my BMW 3-series wagon.  I am quite comfy with a RWD bias. (And I like more than a little "Yee-Haw" when driving.)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 12:50:00 PM »
I don't know much about it really, but I've always looked at being interested in and collecting cars as being in a fairly close second place to being interested in and collecting musical instruments.  I've got close friends, though, who would add motorcycles to that list. 

--Blaise Pascal

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2019, 06:21:26 AM »
But that aggressive rear-wheel drive ...  ??? After 25 years of driving about 10 different 4-wheel-drive Volvos, I was startled to drive a car that burns rubber and becomes unruly if you speed it up in a curve and that needs to be steered to drive a straight line :o
You need a Hellcat. And some adult diapers, probably...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2019, 08:56:56 AM »
Jaguar I-Pace: World Car of the Year 2019

I hope it will speed up the inevitable collapse of the Tesla ponzi scheme.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2019, 11:24:22 AM »
You need a Hellcat. And some adult diapers, probably...

This is what I need.  This and a Gibson EB-1 would be a welcome relief for mid-life crisis. 

--Blaise Pascal

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2019, 06:12:06 AM »
Caught this on TV this morning. Here's an XJS conversion we can all get behind :mrgreen:...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »
Now I'm hungry for bratwurst.

Aldi has a less expensive solution.  :mrgreen:

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2019, 04:34:26 PM »
Yep!  Those Germans know how to value engineer.