Author Topic: Artec Pickups on Ebay?  (Read 12138 times)

Johnbob

• View Profile
Artec Pickups on Ebay?
« on: May 19, 2010, 06:53:56 PM »
Does anyone know if this is the same pickup as the ones in the Bachbird? It's looks the same. I'm waiting for my single pickup Bachbird and I want to convert it to a 2 pickup model so I want to start making plans for it now so I was thinking of buying this off of Ebay. I want Lull's but I already know that that is not going to happen for a very long time. Oh, and also already have 2 chrome NOS pickup covers ready to go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Artec-Soap-Bar-4-String-Bass-Pickup-Chrome-/150442277629?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item23070efafd#ht_2870wt_909

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Artec Pickups on Ebay?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 07:26:34 PM »
That looks the same outwardly, and the one I pulled has the same dimensions as listed in that auction.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 08:38:51 PM »
I think the magnets are different in the Artec's that came in the NR. Rob would probably know for sure.
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:10:01 PM »
"Our" Artecs have blade magnets instead of the pole pieces.
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 10:52:08 PM »
Artec's site has a separate "pickups for guitar factory" section. The retail offerings aren't necessarily the same.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 11:03:16 PM »
It is not the same pickup.

The Artec in the BaCHbird is AlNiCo
And it has a blade instead op separate polepieces.

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 12:04:23 AM »
Damn it. Is anything easy in this world? Ha..ha. Does anyone have an extra one they want to sell for around the same price? I don't want to spend a lot on it because I already know I'm going to replace it at some point.

Or does anyone know if the one on Ebay will work out ok? It's the same size and it's also a bass pick up. Obviously it will sound different but I wonder how different.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 04:59:10 AM »
I've got the one from my TH-1.  Make me an offer.  Keep in mind it's an Alnico, so it's a little better than the Ebay offerings.  It's also a nice pickup.  The differences I heard between that and the Gibson I swapped it for were subtle and not drastic.

Also, Rob has a mod that can be done with these - drop a push/pull pot in, and they can be wired to switch between humbucker and single coil, as I recall.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 10:15:17 AM »
I honestly don't think I would want to pay more than $20 for one since I already know I will change it out eventually.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 11:44:59 AM »
with a push pull you go either single/humbucker  or both humbucked  series/parallel.  That maybe a better obtion on the th-1 to avoid the 60 cycle huim.  If you add a  3 way switch you can have all three but then yoiu need to add a small hole. 

I have recently ordered the artec of ebay ($40 for 2 with shipping).  When my bird shows up, hopefully next week I will do a high level compare for ohms,  size etc.  not sure i will go as far a to change it out.  Not sure the blade versus pole matters that much but the magnets ,  if different will be different. 

Johnbob - is you bass repaired???
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Johnbob

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 01:10:47 PM »
I'm interested to know what you think of the pickups, please let us know.

And no, the bass has not been repaired yet. Rob ordered me a new one and he's trying to get the shipping people to pay for it but of course they are resisting a bit. Rob and I agreed that we would put the damaged bass on Ebay and try to make up some of the costs. I think I am going to put it up without repairing it and see what we can get for it and if it doesn't sell we will have it repaired and then re-list it. The bass is definitely salvageable, the crack really is not that bad, I have definitely seen way, way worse. But at the end of the day it is still a crack so I'm not sure if anyone will be interested. Fixing the crack doesn't seem like it will be too difficult but then you have to deal with refinishing it and matching the color, etc. Other than the crack it is 100% mint.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 02:01:24 PM »
One sold for nearly $900 on ebay this week...

It will sell
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 06:38:43 PM »
I'm interested to know what you think of the pickups, please let us know.

And no, the bass has not been repaired yet. Rob ordered me a new one and he's trying to get the shipping people to pay for it but of course they are resisting a bit. Rob and I agreed that we would put the damaged bass on Ebay and try to make up some of the costs. I think I am going to put it up without repairing it and see what we can get for it and if it doesn't sell we will have it repaired and then re-list it. The bass is definitely salvageable, the crack really is not that bad, I have definitely seen way, way worse. But at the end of the day it is still a crack so I'm not sure if anyone will be interested. Fixing the crack doesn't seem like it will be too difficult but then you have to deal with refinishing it and matching the color, etc. Other than the crack it is 100% mint.
Is it a TH-1 or 2 ? If it is a 1 and you are in the states I would be interested.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 06:22:33 AM »
I think this is a fairly low cost alternative to ANY Artec (switched out the Pups in my Bricebird w/ a pair), pots and jack upgrade too.  Active 3 coil single coil/humbucker w push/pull pot.  Buckets of tone, as good as my '77 Bicentennial.  Yeah, I know, ACTIVE.  Good enough for JAE, good enough for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMG-35TW-Bass-Guitar-Pick-up-NEW-Switching-humbucker-/350256435314?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518ce91072

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 08:22:57 AM »
I think this is a fairly low cost alternative to ANY Artec

Is it? It costs nearly five times as much as an Artec...