Author Topic: More than a box  (Read 1345 times)

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
More than a box
« on: June 17, 2010, 07:30:55 PM »
I don't know if this should go here, since it is a project or in the amps area since, one day, it will be part of my amp.

This humble, void free, 3/4 birch ply-wood box will one day be my killa-dilla 2x15 Wonder Cabinet...

Bring on the Nubiles

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: More than a box
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 08:14:51 PM »
Very nice!  Though, after seeing all of your skills previously, I'm disappointed that you opted for stopped dados and not finger joint construction ;D :P  From you I was expecting dovetails ;)

BTW - you building from any plans or are you winging it?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 03:05:08 AM »
This is a good place for it.  Building things is our business here!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 05:35:35 AM »
Thanks Lightyear but my friend "Woodworker Jay" actually built the 5 sided box to my specs. Finger joints would have looked  cool but I would have felt bad covering it up with Dura-tex.  ;D

I'm loosely copying the Mesa 2x15. I had the cabinet tuned for the Eminence Kappa speakers so it's not as deep.

I love the sound of 2 15s but I hate moving two cabinets and a two wheel dolly. I figured maybe I could make one and I knew Jay could help.

I got the holes cut for the casters, back plate, recessed handles and I started bracing. Need to do some fine tuning and get the baffle ready next.
Bring on the Nubiles

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 11:12:21 AM »
 :popcorn:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 09:20:24 PM »
Is Dura Tex the truck bed liner stuff?  Lowe's sellls a doi-it-yourself kit for about $45 - roll on.  I wonder what an outfit that sprays the liners full time would charge to shoot a cabinet?

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 06:21:28 AM »
Dura-tex is not unlike bedliner for a truck. I called around to see about a spray on option and the $11 per square foot kind of put me off. Then I justified not spending the big bucks to myself when I thought about the extra weight a 1/4 inch of that goop all the way round the cabinet. I don't mind a heavy cab... but I'll save weight where I can.

Got the handle holes cut and I'm almost finished with recessing them. that job is a pain in the ass for the angled ones on the top/back. Everything was fitting fine with out recessing the handles but I wanted it to look like I knew what I was doing. ;D
Bring on the Nubiles

nofi

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 07:00:15 AM »
stain the bare wood for that grateful dead/boutique look.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 11:33:28 AM »
Ebony stain... :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...